Suzuki an exception to the rule | Golden Skate

Suzuki an exception to the rule

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Most top female figure skaters rise to success and stardom in their teens. Some then leave the competitive sport after winning the Olympic gold - for example Sarah Hughes, Oksana Baiul and Tara Lipinski. Some make an early breakthrough, but stay in the sport, adding up titles and medals, and leave a legacy like Katarina Witt, Michelle Kwan and Irina Slutskaya. Then you have another category in which some stick around for years before they suddenly fulfill their potential and reach the international podiums. They are ... [More]

Bennett

Record Breaker
Most top female figure skaters rise to success and stardom in their teens. Some then leave the competitive sport after winning the Olympic gold - for example Sarah Hughes, Oksana Baiul and Tara Lipinski. Some make an early breakthrough, but stay in the sport, adding up titles and medals, and leave a legacy like Katarina Witt, Michelle Kwan and Irina Slutskaya. Then you have another category in which some stick around for years before they suddenly fulfill their potential and reach the international podiums. They are ... [More]

Nice article. I am sure that Akiko will be a great choreographer. Also I feel that if she had been given a chance earlier than she did after her comeback, she would have bloomed earlier. An unfortunate thing about the system is that we keep seeing the same faces all the time and once you drop off, it's very difficult to come back. Skating is really an elitist sport. In a team sport, you see more diversity and changes within the team. But skating is both individualistic and elitist. While the article says Japan has a "deep" field, the really competitive ones at the world level are only a few skaters and that's more than enough for maxing out the three spots.

Trewyn

Medalist
I think she's an incredible skater and I'm glad I was able to see her live at the World Championships. She's absolutely lovely and I hope she has another great season.

just wondering

On the Ice
Akiko is tremendous. I wish her well next season and in her future years as choreographer. Skaters will be lucky to work with her.

Bijoux

Match Penalty
I don't see much future for her outside of japan maybe, and even then. she has skills but as you point out she is older and the beauty pageant aspect of ladies won't be particularly in her favor with folks like Shizuka as the 'queen' and super athletes with youth and medals like Mao. She will be forgotten in Japan likely and will not have much international success. But perhaps she can have a bit of a career if Japan likes her. No idea how popular the sport is in Japan, that is to sday, how many folks they support at the top level. Sadly can't travel for 25 years. hope she does well, she seems like a nice gal.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I don't see much future for her outside of japan maybe, and even then. she has skills but as you point out she is older and the beauty pageant aspect of ladies won't be particularly in her favor with folks like Shizuka as the 'queen' and super athletes with youth and medals like Mao. She will be forgotten in Japan likely and will not have much international success. But perhaps she can have a bit of a career if Japan likes her. No idea how popular the sport is in Japan, that is to sday, how many folks they support at the top level. Sadly can't travel for 25 years. hope she does well, she seems like a nice gal.

I think Akiko has fans all over the world. She is a terrific show skater and for a "late bloomer" had a a very good season winning COC, and medals at the GPF, Japanese Natls and 4CC.

Here is one of my favorite performances from last season - Akiko winning Bronze at the GPF.
I thought her LP to West Side Story was one of the highlights of the season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95dpzCc3ZNY

malo42

On the Ice
^^ Wow I didn't know you had to be beautiful to be a choreographer :rolleye: Japanese skaters don't really need international success, whatever that is now for skaters...

Anyway Akiko is really inspiring, it was really amazing that she was able to come back after being out of contention for a few years. I absolutely love her footwork and I hope she's able to choreograph amazing programs in the future! I also hope she makes the world team again next season.

Barb

Record Breaker

Are you kidding:)?, I think that the country where is more popular Figure skating is Japan.

Bijoux

Match Penalty
Are you kidding:)?, I think that the country where is more popular Figure skating is Japan.

I know it very popular but I qualified that with the question, how many top female skaters can they support? The have Mao, Shizuka, Fumie still appears to have a fan base. There's Miki. And the young up and comers...whoever they are I imagine there must be several

Bijoux

Match Penalty
I think Akiko has fans all over the world. She is a terrific show skater and for a "late bloomer" had a a very good season winning COC, and medals at the GPF, Japanese Natls and 4CC.

Here is one of my favorite performances from last season - Akiko winning Bronze at the GPF.
I thought her LP to West Side Story was one of the highlights of the season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95dpzCc3ZNY

Janet, I enjoyed Akkiko to but with the people already mentioned and the young ones, I don't see her making much splash.

Now if she wants to choreograph, not win comps and do shows, thats very different. Age will be on her side. And looking like a pageant queen does not matter. But it certainly does matter (beauty)in success in ladies whether one wants to admit it or not.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
With Yukari out, Akiko can easily claim the third spot next season. I think a clean Akiko would edge out a clean Fumie and Kanako.
I like her a lot and rooted for her during the entire GP series. Too bad she kinda bombed at the Olympics and Worlds in the SP and took herself out of contention.