Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Weir and The Advocate Article.

Johnny Weir and The Advocate Article.

It was supposed to be an Interview but the 'gay' reporter can't get him for that. So the Article in The Advocate which is a gay magazine dishes a lot.

One line caught my eye:
    Weir's diva sensibility and annoying coyness about his sexuality are matched only by his exquisite narcissim.
    The article also notes:
    In am era when many effeminaate boys still feel like they are fabulous and that they have to turn themselves inside out in order to survive junior high school, Weir's gender nonconformity is one of figure skating's greatest gifts to popular culture
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I wish I could reproduce the article, but I am not computer savvy so if anyone can, please do.

In the meantime, I don't think Johnny will ever come out of the closet and I also think: He doesn't have to. Viva Weir.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 04-18-2010 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Add quotation brackets so the quotes show up better.

what an interesting article (and a fair take on SOI that I was not expecting at all). for someone who DIDN'T get an interview, it's amazing that the writer kept interest for three pages - considering it's really just rehashing what Weir's done post Olympics.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Lest any Johnny fan avoid the article, the author gave this assessment of Johnny's Olympic programs:

But where many of his competitors delivered community theater–rate artistic performances, Weir gave us La Scala. He always has, ever since he burst onto the amateur scene in 2001, winning the world junior championships in puffy white sleeves and a blue vest decorated with silver-and-gold embroidery. In Vancouver, Weir floated across the ice in equally elegant garb to “Nocturne,” the stirring cello piece by Italian film composer Ennio Morricone. His face contorted with what appeared to be an overriding desire to create 4½ minutes of indelible beauty. .

Custom Title
    What is this? Suddenly two threads dedicated to Mr. Weir with renewed old information. Another round of attacking SOI? Do any of you want to bring down the men's figure skating further, and prove what many people said all along was right that figure skating is indeed a gay sport?

Custom Title
    Gotta love latent homophobia.

Banned
    It it latent homophobia or is our beloved Johnny hurting th image or popularity of the mens as Jenny seems to suggest? Serious question! And who is removing posts and why?

I don't think Johnny has caused the possible downward slope of figure skating interest. (there are many reasons for that)
    Since I remember figure skating as far back as 1946, Men's competition was always known as a sissy sport to outsiders. I think Button kind of changed that when he appeared on the scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    what an interesting article (and a fair take on SOI that I was not expecting at all). for someone who DIDN'T get an interview, it's amazing that the writer kept interest for three pages - considering it's really just rehashing what Weir's done post Olympics.
    Yeah, I think the writer is a good story teller, even though I could not read through the same old story. But it would be pretty exciting to those who haven't read/heard about Johnny very much.

The difference between the "old" story and the Advocate is that the magazine is wanting him to say something about his sexual orientation. One would think a gay magazine would get the story first, but Johnny is tight lipped on that subject. It took a while for Ricky Martin to "come out".

Let's face it - most stopped talking about Weir's chances of becoming a skating champion years ago. What is left are his off-ice activities which seem to be a never ending repetition of Johnny being portrayed as a victim.

Poor Johnny, the whole world is against him

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    The difference between the "old" story and the Advocate is that the magazine is wanting him to say something about his sexual orientation. One would think a gay magazine would get the story first, but Johnny is tight lipped on that subject. It took a while for Ricky Martin to "come out".
    none of which is NEW... editors of publications have been trying to get the scoop for quite a while... normally during the off season.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    According to some die-hard Johnny Weir fans, he will never "come out" because he is not gay but many people seemed to assume he is anyway. Though comparing the Ricky Martin situation to Johnny Weir isn't exactly comparable because Ricky Martin is gay and was purposely hiding it for fear that it could damage his career. Johnny Weir, on the other hand, is intentionally try to be coy and vague so that he can continue to be talked about.

Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    According to some die-hard Johnny Weir fans, he will never "come out" because he is not gay but many people seemed to assume he is anyway. Though comparing the Ricky Martin situation to Johnny Weir isn't exactly comparable because Ricky Martin is gay and was purposely hiding it for fear that it could damage his career. Johnny Weir, on the other hand, is intentionally try to be coy and vague so that he can continue to be talked about.
    I think you are correct. There are a lot of effeminate men in this world who are not gay but assumed to be "Bi" because they are married to the opposite sex.

As for Martin, we all assumed he was gay and it was only after he came out that it was confirmed.

One has to realize that Weir is assumed to be gay so the comparison is possible, but not definite. I just can not see him leading some lady on Dancing With the Stars. I agree he enjoys being talked about - that old chestnut: "It's when people stop talking about you, that you have to worry".

Somehow, I see him getting married (there are many women who would) and settling down with a designing firm. Meanwhile, I hope he continues to skate competitions. He's really a good skater.

Custom Title
    Ricky Martin came out/was outed? I totally missed that.

As for the article/Weir, I like the brief reference to his Olympic performances. I had forgotten about the slip on the spin, which is just to say that his programs were great to watch (imo) and my memory of them was a very happy one. I feel somewhat badly that his skating was not taken to the next competitive level over these last two to three years (and it worried me greatly to see his triple axel appear somewhat undependable), but I do enjoy his style very much and it was really lovely to see him skate (nearly) clean at the olympics; it was also nice to seem him appear happy with his skates...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast