Thread: Johhny-help or hindrance?

Hybrid View

Banned

Johhny-help or hindrance?

There continues to be much interest in this person even if his skating career is over and a bit of controversy.

But its been brought up again and again and two recent GS threads.

As far as the general public goes, do you feel Johnny is bringing new fans to mens figure skating or pushing them away?

I do not know that anyone here has the pulse of the USA but if you have articles to back up your yes or no, maybe we could really give this serious attention it deserves.

I think his skating brings people in because its beautiful, but I suspect (only a guess) that his off ice outfits, staements and reality shows might make a parent think twiceabout encouraging his son to be a figureskater. Unlike Jamie Sale, I don;t have a problem with Johnny as he's so honest and funny. (qualifier would be his use of fur-I hope he stops it).

If people answer and you don't like the answer. Please do not flame them. Everyone should be able to state an opinion. I thought of a sincere, honest question as this question gets talked AROUND but people are vague because they fear attack. I don't think GSers are typical of the American public re "Johnny". I suspect they are liberal and more lenient as to lifestyle.

The question is again, is he as a total package bringing the sport up or down in popularity? Or do you think he has no real effect?

Custom Title
    Bijoux, I must say that you are brave to bring a lot of controversial, nerve racking topics here. Well my position is clear. I am a conservative on this topic. Just don't know if I am the only one here? So I'll stand on the sideline for now.

Banned
    I don't think you are the only one here. But given that its off season and not a lot of people post here, it might feel that way. We do want FS to continue, but maybe there are so many things wrong in the sport and its a cyclical thing, we'll not know exactly why we seem to be losing viewers in America. For those of us who primarily have Tv or the internet and don't travel the world to competitions, these are good questions. SOI, BTW no longer comes to my city after many, many years and this an Olympic year when tickets would sell better! What IS going on? I can't easily get to a city an hour or two away. I have watched since Peggy Flemming. I do miss the golden era. Glad I have some tapes and grateful for youtube despite some bad quality...

Johnny Weir is not to blame for SOI's pulling back. The golden era dried up at the turn of the millenium. There isn't just one thing that can be blamed, but the show took a turn for the worse after the year of 'furnature on ice' when it became far more hokey than most remembered it. Add to it that the 'stars' are not the ones that are also big characters (skating doesn't have a lot of those at teh moment) and you are going to have it slowly dwindle with attendance.

the bad economy doesn't help. SOI is expensive.

People can be upset that SOI didn't pick up Johnny Weir, but they also didn't pick up Ryan Bradley - Johnny is too controversial (not so much for his 'sexuality' whatever it may be, but for his mouth) but he DOES get recognized by the average Joe viewer... Ryan Bradley is entertaining and a crowd pleaser... much more so than the current crop of guys (and I'm a fan of quite a few of them).

but to blame the 'downfall' of figure skating or even just SOI on Johnny is absurd. For the 'haters' that seems to give someone they don't like too much credit, and - let's face it - he's no different than Toller Cranston was some 25/30 years ago, and skating did just fine, then.

We were spoiled with so much coverage in the US in the 90s that we seem to have forgotten what it was like before... add to the fact that television as a medium is greatly changing, and yeah, we don't have the same amount of coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt
    I am a conservative on this topic.
    ? The question is about Johnny’s overall impact on the popularity of figure skating. This is a question to be settled by market research. There is no conservative or liberal “position” to stake out.

Personally, I do not think Johnny or any other current U.S. skater has any measurable impact on the sport’s popularity. I think it is safe to say that the average American has never heard of Johnny Weir and has no interest in watching figure skating be Johnny alive or dead. (Oh, well.)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    ? The question is about Johnny’s overall impact on the popularity of figure skating. This is a question to be settled by market research. There is no conservative or liberal “position” to stake out.

Personally, I do not think Johnny or any other current U.S. skater has any measurable impact on the sport’s popularity. I think it is safe to say that the average American has never heard of Johnny Weir and has no interest in watching figure skating be Johnny alive or dead. (Oh, well.)
    Mathman, you didn't have market research to back up your view, but you've just taken your position. Exactly like I did. No impact, have impact, positive impact, or negative impact, to me these are all positions.

I think there is a difference between the impact on the sport's popularity to average American viewers and the impact on the sport's popularity to skating enthusiasts, fans and participants.
    Last edited by jennylovskt; 04-18-2010 at 11:39 PM.