Johnny Weir to author book | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir to author book

chronos13

Rinkside
If Johnny's writing it, I'm buying it. I'm looking forward to reading about more drama and scandal behind the scenes. It'll keep me busy during the off-seasons.

stage

Spectator
A while ago, shortly after the Olympics and even at Worlds time, Johnny Weir stated that he was planning to continue competitive skating. He wanted to win medals, Johnny stated, so he would completely rework himself and his skating. To me, it sounded like he was planning to adhere more to the rules of COP judging, or even perhaps to fortry a different kind of style of skating from what he had done during the majority of his skating career.

Now he is planning to write a book about his life and figure skating; some say that it will be a "tell-all" with plenty of "dirt" about fellow skaters and skating politics, including the USFSA. Do any of you GoldenSkaters or other skating forum fans think that this book may be closing the curtain on Johnny's competitive career?

jennylovskt

Medalist
Do any of you GoldenSkaters or other skating forum fans think that this book may be closing the curtain on Johnny's competitive career?

I believe so. I don't think Johnny really has the intention of coming back next season.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I honestly don't think Johnny ever truly desired to come back next season. If he does this tell all book he's going to shoot himself in teh foot several times over (and then play poor poor pitiful me, no doubt).

he better start work on his own show now, because he's going to be completely unhirable if he doesn't start using common sense :laugh: know when to keep it shut, boy!

Wrlmy

Medalist
I have mixed feelings about Johnny, but I still watch his reality show and probably will buy his book right away. I just hope his tone will be completely honest and not at all defensive.

fairly4

Medalist
usa today had a small write up in the entertainment section about book--to me it sounds like another figure skating book--no tell all-all other skaters had antedotes in theirs-their own fashion idea and own views-to me sounds like exactly the same as the others
from johnny perspective--which isnt new if you have been paying attention to what he has been saying the years since he won his first natonals .

Bijoux

Match Penalty
I honestly don't think Johnny ever truly desired to come back next season. If he does this tell all book he's going to shoot himself in teh foot several times over (and then play poor poor pitiful me, no doubt).

he better start work on his own show now, because he's going to be completely unhirable if he doesn't start using common sense :laugh: know when to keep it shut, boy!

SOI is all there is here and they never hired him. People want to see him skate. I think that Scott etc have their reasons but I think Johnny is angry and I believe he sees this as a way to prolong his fame which is limited. i don't think he will dish much dirt. He's too smart for that. He wants a career as a pro. I wish people at SOI would at least give him a few shows to see how he fits in.

Wicked

Final Flight
I just hope that if Johnny dishes dirt, he dishes it on himself as well as others.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
SOI is all there is here and they never hired him. People want to see him skate. I think that Scott etc have their reasons but I think Johnny is angry and I believe he sees this as a way to prolong his fame which is limited. i don't think he will dish much dirt. He's too smart for that. He wants a career as a pro. I wish people at SOI would at least give him a few shows to see how he fits in.

and in the 80s Ice Capades was all there was for Scott Hamilton. He had enough 'star power' that he fought to get his own tour started. SOI has done pretty well from meager five show beginnings, even with the cut backs in the last few seasons.

Johnny doesn't need the Olympic title to do the same thing. He's very recognizable. If he or anyone else is using SOI as an excuse not to have a career then that's just sad. It's not Hamilton's or anyone else's job to give Johnny a spot on a tour. If the tour won't fit Johnny he should take it upon himself to make one that fits him. IF that's what he wants to do. I don't think he has the desire or commitment.

Bennett

Record Breaker
and in the 80s Ice Capades was all there was for Scott Hamilton. He had enough 'star power' that he fought to get his own tour started. SOI has done pretty well from meager five show beginnings, even with the cut backs in the last few seasons.

Johnny doesn't need the Olympic title to do the same thing. He's very recognizable. If he or anyone else is using SOI as an excuse not to have a career then that's just sad. It's not Hamilton's or anyone else's job to give Johnny a spot on a tour. If the tour won't fit Johnny he should take it upon himself to make one that fits him. IF that's what he wants to do. I don't think he has the desire or commitment.

As I said in another thread, I would love to see him pair up with Yuna! Yuna has the funding, but would need local collaborators who have the name in the US if she ever wants to do her own shows in the US. Yet, there's a rumor about her agency that may prevent her from collaborating many other skaters. So it'll be a win-win scenario! I am aware that there are multiple "if's" in this scenario. But just a fun thought.

Raatkirani

On the Ice

The thing about Stars on Ice was that it was created by IMG (a huge marketing firm) for Scott Hamilton after he was released from Ice Capades. It wasn't something he financed on his own and I'm assuming it costs an arm and a leg to put an ice tour on. Right now, figure skating is a cold commodity in the US. COI folded and SOI isn't half of what it used to be. Even SOI has trouble selling tickets nowadays because other than the golden era post 1994, the American public isn't entertained by skating. Johnny has image issues and lack of an Olympic gold that would probably prevent a major corporation from sponsoring him. And that's what he needs, a sponsor.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
IMG did not put all of their eggs in Scott Hamilton's basket. Scott's AGENT bent over backwards to get teh ball rolling. Scott wasn't overly wealthy (amatuers didn't get the megabucks back then). Scott organized a group of his friends in the same boat as he was (unhappy with their touring gigs, wanting something of their own) and they went about creating it from basically nothing. They didn't have huge sponsors or anything like that. It took time.

If Johnny *WANTS* to tour, and they aren't "letting" him (just as ice capades let go of Hamilton) then he should thumb his nose at them and instead of pout and gripe about it like he apparently is doing he should get his rear in gear and get to work and prove them all wrong. I'm not in his boat at all, but I think he would be successful in what he set out to do IF he didn't lose interest two seconds after starting it and wanted to work hard at it. If he just wants to ride high on his plateau, then yeah, SOI isn't going to want him and he's not going to tour. It's THAT attitude that I think keeps him out of the show before anything else.