Hyundai Super Match Ice Show, June 5th and 6th | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Hyundai Super Match Ice Show, June 5th and 6th

sodessss

Rinkside
I witnessed really sweet moment between Mao and jeff and I think there's something going on between them. They are really cute couple. And I think Adam has big crush on Mao. He looks almost starstruck. If Adam goes to Mao's show instead of Yuna's Show, I think there's something.

Lilith11

On the Ice
Yeesh, we don't need a fandom war or mud slinging. This thread is for the Super Match Ice Show. Please stay on topic :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Lilith11

On the Ice
Partially I understand Why they are so crazy and enthusiastic but don't you think skaters need better audience given their hard work and trying to be focus?

From the accounts of skaters who have participated in Korean ice shows, they've actually enjoyed the audiences energy because it means that the audience is excited which compels the skater to perform better :3 Called feeding off the crowd's energy XD

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice
sunny0760, so how was the show? How were plushy and Evan? How was the groupe numbers? Tell us what you thought about each performance. I know and everyone here knows that the audiences were great and supportive. There is no doubt about that!

catanet

Rinkside
I read some reviews. They say Mao got the biggest cheers and people went crazy when Mao was introduced. Someone says Mao was treated like the queen of the show. I said to myself "REALLY?"

Mao's won every competition held in Korea with stellar performances over the years but I always got the impression that the audience was too cold towards Mao's amazing performances. Always lukewarm responses.

But come to think of it, the majority audience for this Medalists On Ice show is ordinary Koreans. They are different from the audience who filled the GPF stands back in 08 scaring both Mao and Yu-Na. Their way too aggressive organized cheering didn't do Yu-Na any good.
Yu-Na's fanatic Korean fans sort of boycotted this show as I know. Good for the skaters, I'd say.

Still, the audience could be seen way too enegetic and loud compared to Japanese audience who likes to enjoy the show in a calm manner.
I've always thought the middle way of Korean and Japanese audience enthusiasm will make a perfect audience.:eek:hwell:

Last edited:

brownfox

On the Ice
I read some reviews. They say Mao got the biggest cheers and people went crazy when Mao was introduced. Someone says Mao was treated like the queen of the show. I said to myself "REALLY?"

Mao's won every competition held in Korea with stellar performances over the years but I always got the impression that the audience was too cold towards Mao's amazing performances. Always lukewarm responses.

But come to think of it, the majority audience for this Medalists On Ice show is ordinary Koreans. They are different from the audience who filled the GPF stands back in 08 scaring both Mao and Yu-Na. Their way too aggressive organized cheering didn't do Yu-Na any good.
Yu-Na's fanatic Korean fans sort of boycotted this show as I know. Good for the skaters, I'd say.

Still, the audience could be seen way too enegetic and loud compared to Japanese audience who likes to enjoy the show in a calm manner.
I've always thought the middle way of Korean and Japanese audience enthusiasm will make a perfect audience.:eek:hwell:

That was a nightmare.

Yuna's "fanatic Korean fans" are those fans that probably triggered against Hyundai Card/IMG Korea. The pain is still fresh to be honest.

Johnnnn

On the Ice
Hmm

That was a nightmare.

Yuna's "fanatic Korean fans" are those fans that probably triggered against Hyundai Card/IMG Korea. The pain is still fresh to be honest.

Don't make wild assumptions if you don't know the whole story about IMG and Yuna.

(blocking sponsors and commercials when she desperately needed one to fund her skating

career in 2006-2007 (IMG didn't even tell Yuna about KB bank's interest in sponsoring her

and KB bank eventually contacted Yuna personally only to find out she never heard a word

from IMG about their sponsorship interest), sending her alone on a national TV to make her

apologize for the fire in 2007 when she was only 16, changhing the show's name from

supermatch to Yuna's ice show after the fire and walking away from the whole mess while

Yuna was doing a free gala in an amusement park as an apology for the cancelled "Yuna's"

ice show, etc)

I'm sure you can find more info about the whole thing if you do a little research because

I don't feel like writing the whole story for you (or maybe I just did lol)

Johnnnn

On the Ice

lol Well ordinary Koreans don't know much about figure skating and Mao is probably the only skater they know well because of Yuna. Same thing goes for Yuna's popularity in Japan because people who know Mao know Yuna.

Also, people tend to be less nationalistic during gala performances because nobody wins or loses. At GPF last year Japanese audience was ice cold to Yuna during the competition but I think she recieved one of the best receptions during her gala.

Same thing at the olympics. Anyways, Even though many people got the tickets for free as an invitation (perks for using Hyundai card), people who actually bought the tickets for this show probably like Mao and wanted to see her so it's not strange that she got a warm reception.

Still lots of empty seats tho (about 1/5). People are probably saving up to see Yuna, Michelle, and Sasha in July lol

Last edited:

brownfox

On the Ice
Don't make wild assumptions if you don't know the whole story about IMG and Yuna.

(blocking sponsors and commercials when she desperately needed one to fund her skating

career in 2006-2007 (IMG didn't even tell Yuna about KB bank's interest in sponsoring her

and KB bank eventually contacted Yuna personally only to find out she never heard a word

from IMG about their sponsorship interest), sending her alone on a national TV to make her

apologize for the fire in 2007 when she was only 16, changhing the show's name from

supermatch to Yuna's ice show after the fire and walking away from the whole mess while

Yuna was doing a free gala in an amusement park as an apology for the cancelled "Yuna's"

ice show, etc)

I'm sure you can find more info about the whole thing if you do a little research because

I know the story behind it. That's why I said the pain is still fresh for those die hard Yuna fans. LOL. And by the way I still hate Hyundai card/IMG Korea. So, chill.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Recording of the show
http://ja.justin.tv/cpak00/b/264823264

What I learnt
When they announce Yagudin, Mao gets out
When they announce Plushenko, V/M gets out

(i kid, they just cut performances and changed order)

Stephane 's new program is awesome, Plushy's is funny. All men stripped off one way or another. At least from what I saw, Yag, PLush and Lambiel.
And Mao ♥

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I tried to clean out all the posts with posters insulting each other, but if I missed any, I hope you will report them for me by hitting the little triangular "Report Post" button, rather than replying to them on the thread?

Please be aware that insulting other posters results in infractions. It also results in your post being deleted as soon as a moderator notices it.

BTW, it sounds like an awesome show. I hope to be able to sit down and watch the videos this afternoon.

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Just watched the webcasting of the show.
*Warning, spoilers ahead*

All background politics aside, it really doesn't distract just the sheert amount of quality skating on display. It was just so spectacular and 'Wow!.

LOLed at Alex, you dawwg, that was pretty hot!! Plushenko, you showed us why you are the overlord, that was really cool! Was it just me who find it weird, that it was the Russians who shows us far more personality and command over the crowd than the Americans? Evan was just so vanilla - even though he is artificially 'orange'. Lamiel on the other hand, that was just smooth and class. Joannie, your performance moved me again, that was beautiful.

I just want to comment that I absolutely love Mao's step sequence iher SP, her postures and lines are just so wow *ichiban thumbs up*. She put on a little weight and it make her body contour so much better IMO, much more healthier that strengthen her physicality as how an athelete should look. At Olympics, I thought she looked a bit gaunt. Her general demeaner is appears much improved, more confident and relaxed than at competitions. I am so happy she is as well received in Korea and all these national rivalry BS had been aside to appreciate what an amazing talent she is. The girl herself is just so lovely and joyful to watch.

It would indicate if she were able to conquer the mind game, it would really push the overall quality of her skate forward.

Last edited:

sunny0760

On the Ice
I went to the first day show and saw the TV coverage(about half of the real show) today.

* Beginning the second part of the show, Adam spoke some Korean, getting much applause. Not just thank you for coming us etc, a few long sentences... very cute. He must have learned Korean seriously. His first jump failed but got warm applause. Wow at his breathtaking Tano jumps.

* Lambiel and Plush performed their new gala program for the first time. Lambiel's jazz number was beautiful, flows with music as a dancer. A few shaky landings but enjoyable. Plush was a good jumper and a real audience pleaser. When the show ended, Plush was the last to bow himself out because he took a huge teddy bear(?) from some fans then.

* Yagudin's jumps were still good even if his programs, especially Winter(, were shorter. Flash and fast steps which fascinated audience, has showmanship like Plush.
http://blog.naver.com/hwenlove3000?Redirect=Log&logNo=130087547453 (Hope this works. See fifth vid for his Winter)

* Loved Joannie, especially the second solo, My Immortal. Really hope she continues to compete for a while. Solid jumps and such elegance.

* Miki's Cleopatra was more appealing live than on TV. Mao was the most famous skater of all among audience. When she was introduced, there was a lot of applause. Some mistakes on jumps, some beautiful lines in spirals. After her performance, a lady next to me said to her boyfriend, "She is slim and pretty." I cannot say I was so overwhelmed, still thinking about why. Super star but still has a baby like innocent, adorable image. Of course I know there is feistiness in her.

* Buttle must have some ardent fans among audience along with Lambiel. Maybe some Japanese fans came to see him but not so sure. No mistakes yesterday but a fall today. Heard that his spins were slow before but yesterday, he is overall in good shape to me.

* Lysacek was confident and consistent. Felt his presence on ice and solid jumps which were more impressive than I had expected. One fall yesterday. Liked his white shirt better than the Vera Wang gray one.

* Some Korean junior skaters appeared. 4 girls and 2 boys. Kim Min-Seok is turning into a serious senior level skater. Happy to see him land successful 3A.

* I cannot say how I appreciated the performances by two pair teams(S/Z and P/T) and ice dancers T/V. They never disappoint. Loved, loved them. Fast, uncompromising, precise techniques. The sincerity. I will never forget S/Z's Turandot. Probably the most emotional moment of the whole show for me. They were perfect yesterday but made a mistake at today's performance. Too bad MBC did not broadcast today's Turandot. S/Z really impressed my daughter who does not know FS very well. Seeing Turandot and hearing that they are a couple, she said in a low voice, "Be happy!":yes: Then I heard a little boy in front of me said, "Ni Hao!":laugh:

* About 7,500~8,000 audience. More females than males, the majority was those in there 20s but also many kids and middle aged people. Younger audience went crazy when all the skaters began group dance to popular K-pops.

* After the show, skaters gave an autograph to the fans. It was very hot outside so I wonder it was a good idea.:rolleye:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Plush was the last to bow himself out because he took a huge teddy bear(?) from some fans then.
Every year plush goes to korea he gets a set of two huge bears with one of his past costumes, I dont know which costumes he got this year. He has made a photoshoot with all the bear family collection.

Videos

Opening
Yagudin-Sway
Jeffrey Buttle "Sympathy for the Devil"
Evan Lysacek "Sheherazade"
Shen & Zhao "Who Wants to Live Forever"
Virtue & Moir "Mahler Symphony No.5"
Joannie Rochette "My Immortal"
Mao Asada "Masquerade Waltz"
Mao Asada "Caprice"
Stephane Lambiel "Good Times"
Evgeni Plushenko "Mack the Knife"
Miki Ando "Cleopatra"
Miki Ando "Requiem"
Finale or Here

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
sunny0760, Thank you for the lovely and complete review! and senorita, thanks for the video links!

UM84

On the Ice
:clap: for Plushenko for just having fun and not turnining this into a "Why a should of won" performance

parma

On the Ice

ice show, etc)

The emotion is raw, certainly for all the bad decisions Hyundai Card has made in dealing with Yuna in the past and also for the total negligence IMG (Korea) placed on her when she was just "one of them". The public relation personnel who was in charge of arranging the Supermatch ice shows for the last four years deserves to be fired for the damage he/she caused to the company alone through this PR nightmare. IMG Korea also deserves to be blamed in every sense for allegedly having been part of these extremely short sighted decisions along with Hyundai Card PR department; IMG being an international giant company adds nationalistic flavor to trashing of these two companies and their ice shows by some of Yuna's die-hard fans, and I don't blame them for doing so.

That said, there has to be some reconciliation between Yuna's side and Hyundai Card-IMG Korea soon, for everyone. There gotta be, it's about time. If we look at the problem, it is not as simple as it appears to be. First, Hyundai Card is a subsidiary of Hyundai Motor Company (HMC). HMC is one of Yuna' main sponsors, supporting her career since 2008-2009 season providing transportation and training expenses for her. Thus, the issue is not as simple as some fans would like to trash that Hyundai Card is complete evil to Yuna's career because Hyundai as a whole has been a good part of her success as well. Then, as for IMG Korea. There will be more or less two ice shows hosted by Yuna's side, and there will be skaters being invited to these shows as it has been the way for the last three years. How long will some of the fans give the uncomfortable looks to the skaters participating in IMG-Hyundai Card shows, the same skaters who are invited to Yuna's shows, e.g. Virtue+Moir and Stephane Lambiel? How long are these people going to have this double standard on the skaters by giving them sort of dirty looks when they participate in IMG-Hyundai Card ice shows and by turning themselves into a standing ovation mode when these skaters appear in Yuna's shows? Finally, there are young Korean skaters. Since Yuna's side has a management company representing three Korean skaters - Yuna, Min-Jung, Hae-Jin - it looks to be that Min-Jung and Hae-Jin will be the company's priority in giving invitations to Yuna's ice shows from now on. Considering there are so many Korean skaters can be invited to these shows, other Korean young skaters who did not receive the blessing touch of Yuna's company will have to choose to appear in Hyundai Card-IMG shows if they want to have some exposure to the Korean figure skating audience. How long do these young skaters have to appear in these shows under the uncomfortable glare by some of these fans? It is totally unfair to these young skaters to be treated as some sort of conspirators, in my opinion.

For these reasons, there has got to be some sort of reconciliation between Hyundai Card-IMG and Yuna' side. For everyone, including Hyundai Card themselves. It would be ideal and will make everyone happy if Hyundai Card or IMG Korea, who are the two responsible for this mess, sends some initial thawing gesture to Yuna's side with apologetic nuance for their past poor actions (or non-actions if IMG Korea is concerned), but the situation being complex, e.g. Yuna being also a beneficiary of Hyundai Motor Company's sponsorship and IMG (IMG Korea is not going to make such decision without a consent from IMG) being just so huge, it might be naive to have that hope. There must be some way that allow each side to save their faces and at the same time move forward into a healthier competing relationship.

I guess I am just so sick and tired of hearing all this crap every year whenever a H-IMG ice show is announced, not because I sympathize what they have done, but just seeing all this negativity flying around when an ice show is supposed to be a fun entertainment.

Last edited:

Audrey19

On the Ice
Thank you so much for the videos, Seniorita!
Wow, I Love Jeff! :Love: He skated an awesome program! I've missed him!
Just why can't we have that kind of shows in Europe???