Hyundai Super Match Ice Show, June 5th and 6th | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Hyundai Super Match Ice Show, June 5th and 6th

Lilith11

On the Ice
I agree with most of your points janetfan, but The quality of these thrown together for money shows is poor. I recall watching a behind the scenes video and seeing how giddy with all the money David and Brian looked. They are artistically responsible with whats put out there. Yes, as I said in another thread its better these world wide skaters go to Asia or whever rather than have no outlet to skate and earn, but as someone else said, Yuna would not even have to skate to sell out tickets. The fans deserve quality. Remember some of the sloppy scheese fests that inundated us post whack in the 90's? The rush for pesos led to some awful programs, sloppy skating and apparently got so bad American fans stopped watching.

I really was amazed to see Orser/Wright just throw out not much on the ice. Very disappointing. Better to take the time to put together quality shows but this is about following the money trail at this point. Both are perfectionists and the Korean fans and all of is deserve to see good shows, not something obviously thrown together with money as the only result for certain parties. S. Korean fans are most gracious to put it plainer to put up with poor quality while paying good money. If the only objective is to see Yuna and a few other titled skaters do a mediocre job, then i guess its money well spent.

Its hard for me to find the good videos on yutube with all the junk on there, hand cams. terrible quality. It really is a mess to hunt through.

I remember when Sandra Bezic quit SOI due to "mediocrity" and those were well rehearsed shows! But I totally agreed with her high standards for show skating and her disappointment with what SOI alledgedly the best always, was putting out at the time in her mind. I hope that makes my point clearer although if someone WANTS to misunderstand, then they will.

Wait... are you talking about Festa on Ice this year? o_O I really, really loved it actually; it had all these light effects and that screen playing in the background and live music, the whole deal. Same thing w/Ice All Stars last year (plus, that one had all all-star cast; Michelle Kwan, Shen/Zhao, Shizuka, Ilia Kulik, etc :love: ) A lot of people have actually complimented Festa and IAS for their high-end productions. Plus if you go to the FOI thread, a lot of people seem to have enjoyed it :) Same w/the fan reports, a lot of which said that FOI was amazing.

Unless you're saying that Brian and David handle Super Match? Or SOI? o_O Last time I checked... the only shows Brian and David handle are Yu-na's, Festa and IAS lols.

Bennett

Record Breaker
There is no racial slur! The fans there will buy any skating show if you look at the quality of these thrown together shows. I watched some on youtube and there were not many rehearsed nice numbers no group numbers! But fans there buy anything in skating and anything Yuna puts out. Thats a fact. These one week rehearsal shows were not quality in my opinion. Nothing to do with race! Sorry a cheesefest is a cheesefest and I think there have been several there. I thought this was a real televised Match as stated. Stop calling people racists! You don't know me and could not be more wrong! Shame on you. If you don't agree with my opinion of these poorly skated shows don't go starting trouble. Perhaps you are projecting your own self?
Yeah, I think that's why we have to be more careful on the Internet not to be misunderstood. We don't know each other and the participants have various backgrounds from all over the world. However innocent your intention may be, it can offend others.

Basics

On the Ice
Bijoux, plz stay away from Yuna threads. seems like you have a problem with everything that Yuna is involved.

Last edited:

jian10

Rinkside
I agree with most of your points janetfan, but The quality of these thrown together for money shows is poor. I recall watching a behind the scenes video and seeing how giddy with all the money David and Brian looked. They are artistically responsible with whats put out there. Yes, as I said in another thread its better these world wide skaters go to Asia or whever rather than have no outlet to skate and earn, but as someone else said, Yuna would not even have to skate to sell out tickets. The fans deserve quality. Remember some of the sloppy scheese fests that inundated us post whack in the 90's? The rush for pesos led to some awful programs, sloppy skating and apparently got so bad American fans stopped watching.

I really was amazed to see Orser/Wright just throw out not much on the ice. Very disappointing. Better to take the time to put together quality shows but this is about following the money trail at this point. Both are perfectionists and the Korean fans and all of is deserve to see good shows, not something obviously thrown together with money as the only result for certain parties. S. Korean fans are most gracious to put it plainer to put up with poor quality while paying good money. If the only objective is to see Yuna and a few other titled skaters do a mediocre job, then i guess its money well spent.

Its hard for me to find the good videos on yutube with all the junk on there, hand cams. terrible quality. It really is a mess to hunt through.

I remember when Sandra Bezic quit SOI due to "mediocrity" and those were well rehearsed shows! But I totally agreed with her high standards for show skating and her disappointment with what SOI alledgedly the best always, was putting out at the time in her mind. I hope that makes my point clearer although if someone WANTS to misunderstand, then they will.

Personally I like the last year's FOI better. It seemed more put together. I don't know how long the skaters rehearsed this year. It was not as good, but still entertaining for many fans. After all it was an ice SHOW.
As for the Super Match, I think there is some exageration. Apparently the tickets don't sell as well as FOI, and this is not the first time they tried to have a super match. I'm pretty sure that Yu Na is not going to be there (there is more issue than schedule conflict). We'll see how this SHOW is going to turn out.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

One thing I liked about this show is that David and Brian did make a good effort to cater to the Korean audience.

For one thing they choreographed numbers to a lot of popular Korean pop songs. Min Jung-Kwak, for example, did a number to a song called "Marshmallow," which is by a emerging pop artist IU (who is also 16!). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb-7Zi510t4&feature=related.

The ladies group number is to a tune by a group called Girls' Generation, Run Devil Run. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OQkfO_XLaU

And the final number was to a popular number called Abracadabra, by the girls group Brown Eyed Girls. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4ZHo8yfdfg

None of these songs are conclusive to a lot of jumping, but I think the audience appreciated the effort to do the dances on ice. Especially Yu-na. It's like she's saying "I'm paying attention to my own country's culture." And in Korea, that's really important. (That's my impression anyway, somebody from Korea should probably chime in their thoughts on this).

Could it have been better? Yes. Do I think it's horrible considering they had a week to rehearse. No.

Let me ask you, Bjioux. What would you have instead? Ice Wars? A World Team Trophy type competition?

Last edited:

Basics

On the Ice
Haters will hate no matter what. Well, most of the fans who actually paid the money to see the show loved it. so who cares! :indiff:

Of course, it was another very entertaining show.

Bijoux

Match Penalty
That would be preferable as competition is what brings out better to watch skating and at least we'd see individual numbers that are well known to the skater and not sloppy group numbers put together in a day. I'm not saying even they took a week to rehearse. I'm guessing they had 3 or 4 days max. I hate sloppy group numbers. I would be disappointed to pay for what I saw on youtube but I guess we have a history of many years of great skating, thus higher standards I think.

L

lowtherlore

Yuna is training for what ??? in June. It seems she might not want a rematch with Asada. Why would she not be in this show? Training? I don't think so...

LOL.. why are you insisting Yu-Na should be in the show? Yu-Na is still an eligible skater and during summer she might be busy building new programs, and there could be other reasons you and I are not privy to. As for a rematch, the Olympics and skating season ended just weeks ago. Get over with it.

HD Card Super Match series was conceptualized as exhibition shows/matches. Besides the skaters, in the past they invited the likes of Federor, Sampras, Nadal, V. Williams, M. Sharapova, and star snowboarders.

cooper

Medalist
Yuna is training for what ??? in June. It seems she might not want a rematch with Asada. Why would she not be in this show? Training? I don't think so...

I think you need to read my post. Yuna will not be there because IMG will be the host of this event. IMG and IB sports (Yuna's agency) had history eating each other in the court room!!!! It was documented in Korea for quiet sometime.

And why are you sooo angry about these shows?? You're not part of the audience, you don't live in Korea. Korean fans every year are very appreciative. Skaters come here to entertain the crowd. This year was well recieved and talked about by many Koreans. They loved it. So, what's the big deal now? I just don't get the hate soo much. And you're complaining again about the fans of Yuna as if they're attacking this thread or worshipping Yuna. How old are you again?

Last edited:

cooper

Medalist
For those who are curious about the relationship between Yuna and IMG Korea/Hyundai Card...and how hard it was during that time for Yuna :cry::cry:

Quote by Plushywinner from Goldendove:

"It is a fan-made montage with "Clair de lune(moonlight)".
The original music she skated to was "Once Upon A Dream" by Linda Edder.

Did you know there was a really sad, tearful stroy behind this gala program?

The story goes back to the year of 2007...

Plushy fans will remember the occasion when Plushy visited Korea again for annual Super Match, and how the show was cancelled because the arena got caught on fire and burnt down.

At that time, Yu-Na was one of the guest skaters who was invited to the show just as Plushenko, Yagudin or others were. A few hours after the fire, the show agent Sema and sponsor Hyundai Card did something very terrible to Yu-Na. All of a sudden, the name of the show changed from "Hyundai Card Super Match V 07 Superstars On Ice" to "Yu-Na Kim Ice Show". These nasty businessmen took it out on Yu-Na and forced her to make an apology at press conference as if it were Yu-Na's responsibility that the show was cancelled!

As you can see in the picture, there was no one but Yu-na alone at the press conference.

The cowardly producer, director and sponsor people were all hiding in the back, and this 16-year-old little girl had to make an apology for the fire and cancellation.

What's even worse, Sema and Hyundai Card did nothing at all. Yu-Na alone gave a free performance to the fans in compensation at the amusement park, which is "Once Upon A Dream", an exhibition program ever presented in front of audience only this time once. I cannnot watch this program without tears. So fragile to bear such burdens on her little shoulders... yet she seems so peaceful and transcendent in this video, almost ethereal.

(I recomment you to watch it in high quality. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IlzLY_nhFw)

Actually, this public rink in the amusement park used to be Yu-Na's main training place because she never had her own rink to practice at in Korea. Imagine she had to go to a public rink where people take photos of her, and where there is no proper heating system that she would get injured frequently. 2008-2009 was the first season she's been completely injury-free as now she trains in Toronto.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/9463/1247121374yuna.jpg :cry:

Nonetheless,Yu-Na never forgets her hard old days, and a lot of the money she earns from starring in commercials goes to funding for young prospective figure skaters. This is one of the reasons why Koreans adore her so much - she's totally the underdog dream come true. No funding, no support, no sponsors...yet she made it through. I'm always in awe of her perfection, because I know all the difficulties she must have gone through to get there."

End quote.

I can't stop crying. :cry:

Here is the original link.... http://plushenko.forumfree.it/?t=40151569&st=15

:cry:

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
There will be another exhibition in Seoul on June 5~6, titled "Super Match X - Medalists on Ice."
The confirmed skaters include:

Evan Lysaek
Evgeni Plushenko
J. Rochette

and...

Mao Asada

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab219/YunaBliss/jowi201004201535490.jpg

It has been reported that Yuna will NOT participate, due to conflicting schedule (she will be training in Toronto), but given the all-star cast and that most medal winners from Vancouver Olympics will be there, it remains to be seen whether Hyundai (the main sponser of the event) will be able to persuade Yuna to come.

I demand a petition to Hyundai to let Yuna skate, just to see Yuna and Mao together! :laugh:

Pretty gorgeous members. Hope Yuna and Dai can come. Then you have every Olympic medalist from the singles.

I also read elsewhere that Stephane and Jeff are on the list. So all the men's medalist from Torino Oly will be there.

I like the poster from your link. It's cute.

So who are under IMG and who are not? It seems like a mega cooperation and the HP does not seem to list the skaters they take care of.

Last edited:

Basics

On the Ice
For those who are curious about the relationship between Yuna and IMG Korea/Hyundai Card...and how hard it was during that time for Yuna :cry::cry:

I can't stop crying. :cry:

Here is the original link.... http://plushenko.forumfree.it/?t=40151569&st=15

:cry:

yes, this show is pretty much infamous to Korean skating fans because of such incident.

In fact, it's getting less popular each year, and I even thought they would discontinue the event this year. Most of the audience in the show are mostly VIPs and invited clients from the sponsor, not many real fans.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Oh, thanks. Does it include Johnny Weir?

No it doesn't. Weir, Rachael Flatt and Jeremy Abbott are with a smaller company called Fireworks Sports Marketing. It's a New York firm owned by Tara Modlin.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Pretty gorgeous members. Hope Yuna and Dai can come. Then you have every Olympic medalist from the singles.

I also read elsewhere that Stephane and Jeff are on the list. So all the men's medalist from Torino Oly will be there.

I like the poster from your link. It's cute.

So who are under IMG and who are not? It seems like a mega cooperation and the HP does not seem to list the skaters they take care of.

Here's a partial list according to IMG's Website: http://www.imgworld.com/sports/winter_sports/default.sps
* Miki Ando, Japan
* Mao Asada, Japan
* Tanith Belbin & Ben Agosto, U.S.
* Jeffrey Buttle, Canada
* Jessica Dube & Bryce Davison, Canada
* Marie-France Dubreuil & Patrice Lazuon, Canada
* Todd Eldredge, U.S.
* Evan Lysacek, U.S.
* Kimmie Meissner, U.S.
* Mirai Nagasu, U.S.
* Brian Orser, Canada
* Qing Pang and Jian Tong, China
* Jennifer Robinson, Canada
* Joannie Rochette, Canada
* Jamie Salé & David Pelletier, Canada
* Xue Shen and Hongbo Zhao, China
* Michael Weiss, U.S.
* Alexei Yagudin, Russia
* Kristi Yamaguchi, U.S.
* John Zimmerman, U.S.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Here's a partial list according to IMG's Website: http://www.imgworld.com/sports/winter_sports/default.sps
* Miki Ando, Japan
* Mao Asada, Japan
* Tanith Belbin & Ben Agosto, U.S.
* Jeffrey Buttle, Canada
* Jessica Dube & Bryce Davison, Canada
* Marie-France Dubreuil & Patrice Lazuon, Canada
* Todd Eldredge, U.S.
* Evan Lysacek, U.S.
* Kimmie Meissner, U.S.
* Mirai Nagasu, U.S.
* Brian Orser, Canada
* Qing Pang and Jian Tong, China
* Jennifer Robinson, Canada
* Joannie Rochette, Canada
* Jamie Salé & David Pelletier, Canada
* Xue Shen and Hongbo Zhao, China
* Michael Weiss, U.S.
* Alexei Yagudin, Russia
* Kristi Yamaguchi, U.S.
* John Zimmerman, U.S.

Thank you very much for your list!!! There are really a lot!

Yet, the situation makes me wonder if Yuna's career may work better by splitting with the current management company. I suppose that they have done a great job helping Yuna perform well and collecting sponsors. But not being able to collaborate with so many of top skaters would seriously hurt her career as a show skater if she ever wants to be one.

Yet, as you mention, many other top skaters such as Johnny, Rachael Flatt and Jeremy Abbott are not on the list. I also do not see Plush, Patrick Chan, Dai, Sasha, Michelle, Irina, Shizuka, or Tessa and Scott on the list. So I guess she can still work with them.

Additionally, however, I have not had an impression that Yuna has been well protected from the media. Sometimes they seem to report very private information that we do not need to know. I am not sure if this is something that a management company can have control over though. Perhaps the situation may have been at least a lot better than the Miki Ando situation before Torino Oly.... (Did Miki have IMG at that time or was she on her own? She was followed daily. This may have been explained partly because she spent more time in her country than Yuna did in her country. But Mao was mostly stayed in Japan, yet the Mao side seems to have had a lot better control over the media towards the Oly than Miki had done towards Torino Oly).

Last edited:

Ren

On the Ice
Thank you very much for your list!!! There are really a lot!

Yet, the situation makes me wonder if Yuna's career may work better by splitting with the current management company. I suppose that they have done a great job helping Yuna perform well and collecting sponsors. But not being able to collaborate with so many of top skaters would seriously hurt her career as a show skater if she ever wants to be one.

Yet, as you mention, many other top skaters such as Johnny, Rachael Flatt and Jeremy Abbott are not on the list. I also do not see Plush, Patrick Chan, Dai, Sasha, Michelle, Irina, Shizuka, or Fumie on the list. So I guess she can still work with them.

Additionally, however, I have not had an impression that Yuna has been well protected from the media. Sometimes they seem to report very private information that we do not need to know. I am not sure if this is something that a management company can have control over though. Perhaps the situation may have been at least a lot better than the Miki Ando situation before Torino Oly.... (Did Miki have IMG at that time or was she on her own? She was followed daily whereas the Mao side seems to have had a lot better control over the media towards the Oly).

From reading the posts on her fan forums Yu-Na used to be with IMG Korea, but she's now with IB Sports. Apparently, there's some 'history' about this split, which is well-known to Korean fans. It's been discussed on her fan message boards. From what I've read, she's not likely to leave IB Sports (to say the least), which fans say have treated her very well (as opposed to when she was still with IMG Korea). Have you read cooper's post (#30) on this thread? Even now this issue is being discussed hotly on her English language fan forum: http://yunaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1506 .

So, yes, it's hard for her to work with skaters being handled by IMG, though Shen and Zhao seem to have been the exception for some reason (Ice All Stars 2009). I'm not sure about Brian Orser, because he gave up show skating when he began coaching Yu-Na (he did do a short number with Yu-Na at this year's Festa On Ice :D), so it's likely he's listed as a past client? As disappointed as some fans may be that we won't get to see Yu-Na work with skaters like Mirai, Joannie, Mao, Evan etc., there are other skaters. Until IMG Korea reconciles with her, no SOI probably for Yu-Na. I don't think she's done too bad so far. She's had Lambiel, Joubert, Chan, Arakawa, Virtue/Moir, Takahashi, Kulik, Weir, Savchenko/Szolkowy, Verner in her shows. She even had the Kween at Ice All Stars. Not bad at all. :)

Last edited: