Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Hyundai Super Match Ice Show, June 5th and 6th

Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    There will be another exhibition in Seoul on June 5~6, titled "Super Match X - Medalists on Ice."
    The confirmed skaters include:

Evan Lysaek
    Evgeni Plushenko
    J. Rochette

and...

Mao Asada

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/a...4201535490.jpg

It has been reported that Yuna will NOT participate, due to conflicting schedule (she will be training in Toronto), but given the all-star cast and that most medal winners from Vancouver Olympics will be there, it remains to be seen whether Hyundai (the main sponser of the event) will be able to persuade Yuna to come.

I demand a petition to Hyundai to let Yuna skate, just to see Yuna and Mao together!
    Pretty gorgeous members. Hope Yuna and Dai can come. Then you have every Olympic medalist from the singles.

I also read elsewhere that Stephane and Jeff are on the list. So all the men's medalist from Torino Oly will be there.

I like the poster from your link. It's cute.

So who are under IMG and who are not? It seems like a mega cooperation and the HP does not seem to list the skaters they take care of.
    Last edited by Bennett; 04-21-2010 at 05:52 AM. Reason: to clarify the "poster"

Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    So who are under IMG and who are not? It seems like a mega cooperation and the HP does not seem to list the skaters they take care of.
    Almost every North American elite skater.

Quote Originally Posted by dlgpffps View Post
    Almost every North American elite skater.
    Oh, thanks. Does it include Johnny Weir?

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar

Here is the original link.... http://plushenko.forumfree.it/?t=40151569&st=15

a nice pic of plush with yuna and michelle with yuna, thanx.
    I remember this show (not a tv competition) since 2006 and the fire incident, every year is almost the same skaters like this year, but usually it was on August not June.

Custom Title
    For those who are curious about the relationship between Yuna and IMG Korea/Hyundai Card...and how hard it was during that time for Yuna

I can't stop crying.

Here is the original link.... http://plushenko.forumfree.it/?t=40151569&st=15

yes, this show is pretty much infamous to Korean skating fans because of such incident.

In fact, it's getting less popular each year, and I even thought they would discontinue the event this year. Most of the audience in the show are mostly VIPs and invited clients from the sponsor, not many real fans.
    Last edited by Basics; 04-21-2010 at 09:30 PM.

skating philosopher
    Oh, thanks. Does it include Johnny Weir?
    No it doesn't. Weir, Rachael Flatt and Jeremy Abbott are with a smaller company called Fireworks Sports Marketing. It's a New York firm owned by Tara Modlin.

skating philosopher
    Pretty gorgeous members. Hope Yuna and Dai can come. Then you have every Olympic medalist from the singles.

I also read elsewhere that Stephane and Jeff are on the list. So all the men's medalist from Torino Oly will be there.

I like the poster from your link. It's cute.

Here's a partial list according to IMG's Website: http://www.imgworld.com/sports/winte...ts/default.sps
    * Miki Ando, Japan
    * Mao Asada, Japan
    * Tanith Belbin & Ben Agosto, U.S.
    * Jeffrey Buttle, Canada
    * Jessica Dube & Bryce Davison, Canada
    * Marie-France Dubreuil & Patrice Lazuon, Canada
    * Todd Eldredge, U.S.
    * Evan Lysacek, U.S.
    * Kimmie Meissner, U.S.
    * Mirai Nagasu, U.S.
    * Brian Orser, Canada
    * Qing Pang and Jian Tong, China
    * Jennifer Robinson, Canada
    * Joannie Rochette, Canada
    * Jamie Salé & David Pelletier, Canada
    * Xue Shen and Hongbo Zhao, China
    * Michael Weiss, U.S.
    * Alexei Yagudin, Russia
    * Kristi Yamaguchi, U.S.
    * John Zimmerman, U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Here's a partial list according to IMG's Website: http://www.imgworld.com/sports/winte...ts/default.sps
    * Miki Ando, Japan
    * Mao Asada, Japan
    * Tanith Belbin & Ben Agosto, U.S.
    * Jeffrey Buttle, Canada
    * Jessica Dube & Bryce Davison, Canada
    * Marie-France Dubreuil & Patrice Lazuon, Canada
    * Todd Eldredge, U.S.
    * Evan Lysacek, U.S.
    * Kimmie Meissner, U.S.
    * Mirai Nagasu, U.S.
    * Brian Orser, Canada
    * Qing Pang and Jian Tong, China
    * Jennifer Robinson, Canada
    * Joannie Rochette, Canada
    * Jamie Salé & David Pelletier, Canada
    * Xue Shen and Hongbo Zhao, China
    * Michael Weiss, U.S.
    * Alexei Yagudin, Russia
    * Kristi Yamaguchi, U.S.
    * John Zimmerman, U.S.
    Thank you very much for your list!!! There are really a lot!

Yet, the situation makes me wonder if Yuna's career may work better by splitting with the current management company. I suppose that they have done a great job helping Yuna perform well and collecting sponsors. But not being able to collaborate with so many of top skaters would seriously hurt her career as a show skater if she ever wants to be one.

Yet, as you mention, many other top skaters such as Johnny, Rachael Flatt and Jeremy Abbott are not on the list. I also do not see Plush, Patrick Chan, Dai, Sasha, Michelle, Irina, Shizuka, or Tessa and Scott on the list. So I guess she can still work with them.

Additionally, however, I have not had an impression that Yuna has been well protected from the media. Sometimes they seem to report very private information that we do not need to know. I am not sure if this is something that a management company can have control over though. Perhaps the situation may have been at least a lot better than the Miki Ando situation before Torino Oly.... (Did Miki have IMG at that time or was she on her own? She was followed daily. This may have been explained partly because she spent more time in her country than Yuna did in her country. But Mao was mostly stayed in Japan, yet the Mao side seems to have had a lot better control over the media towards the Oly than Miki had done towards Torino Oly).
    Last edited by Bennett; 04-21-2010 at 09:04 PM.

Custom Title
    Thank you very much for your list!!! There are really a lot!

Yet, the situation makes me wonder if Yuna's career may work better by splitting with the current management company. I suppose that they have done a great job helping Yuna perform well and collecting sponsors. But not being able to collaborate with so many of top skaters would seriously hurt her career as a show skater if she ever wants to be one.

Yet, as you mention, many other top skaters such as Johnny, Rachael Flatt and Jeremy Abbott are not on the list. I also do not see Plush, Patrick Chan, Dai, Sasha, Michelle, Irina, Shizuka, or Fumie on the list. So I guess she can still work with them.

Additionally, however, I have not had an impression that Yuna has been well protected from the media. Sometimes they seem to report very private information that we do not need to know. I am not sure if this is something that a management company can have control over though. Perhaps the situation may have been at least a lot better than the Miki Ando situation before Torino Oly.... (Did Miki have IMG at that time or was she on her own? She was followed daily whereas the Mao side seems to have had a lot better control over the media towards the Oly).
    From reading the posts on her fan forums Yu-Na used to be with IMG Korea, but she's now with IB Sports. Apparently, there's some 'history' about this split, which is well-known to Korean fans. It's been discussed on her fan message boards. From what I've read, she's not likely to leave IB Sports (to say the least), which fans say have treated her very well (as opposed to when she was still with IMG Korea). Have you read cooper's post (#30) on this thread? Even now this issue is being discussed hotly on her English language fan forum: http://yunaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1506 .

So, yes, it's hard for her to work with skaters being handled by IMG, though Shen and Zhao seem to have been the exception for some reason (Ice All Stars 2009). I'm not sure about Brian Orser, because he gave up show skating when he began coaching Yu-Na (he did do a short number with Yu-Na at this year's Festa On Ice :D), so it's likely he's listed as a past client? As disappointed as some fans may be that we won't get to see Yu-Na work with skaters like Mirai, Joannie, Mao, Evan etc., there are other skaters. Until IMG Korea reconciles with her, no SOI probably for Yu-Na. I don't think she's done too bad so far. She's had Lambiel, Joubert, Chan, Arakawa, Virtue/Moir, Takahashi, Kulik, Weir, Savchenko/Szolkowy, Verner in her shows. She even had the Kween at Ice All Stars. Not bad at all.
    Last edited by Ren; 04-21-2010 at 09:11 PM.

Give me an ice skating show with Kwan, Weir and Yuna anyday!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren View Post
    I don't think she's done too bad so far. She's had Lambiel, Joubert, Chan, Arakawa, Virtue/Moir, Takahashi, Kulik, Weir, Savchenko/Szolkowy, Verner in her shows. She even had the Kween at Ice All Stars. Not bad at all.
    Yes, Indeed! 2009 Ice All Stars was brilliant. Kwan, Kulik, Bourne, S/S, Arakawa, Lambiel, Rippon, S/Z, S/S, Denkova/Starvisky and Yuna.
    2010 FOI : Kulik, Bourne, Chan, Verner, Joubert, Korpi, Minjung, Zhang/Zhang, D/S, K/K and Yuna.
    Kulik and Bourne were big surprising hit last year so they were invited again.
    Kwan got so much attention, too! I think those three came to Korea for the firs time last year. Right?

Give me an ice skating show with Kwan, Weir and Yuna anyday!
    I wish Kwan would come in August for 2010 IAS!
    As for Weir, he said he would have some shows in Russia, S.Korea and Japan with new Gaga program.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R1Iu...layer_embedded
    Does he mean he will come to Korea in August too?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sunny0760 View Post
    Yes, Indeed! 2009 Ice All Stars was brilliant. Kwan, Kulik, Bourne, S/S, Arakawa, Lambiel, Rippon, S/Z, S/S, Denkova/Starvisky and Yuna.
    2010 FOI : Kulik, Bourne, Chan, Verner, Joubert, Korpi, Minjung, Zhang/Zhang, D/S, K/K and Yuna.
    Kulik and Bourne were big surprising hit last year so they were invited again.
    Kwan got so much attention, too! I think those three came to Korea for the firs time last year. Right?

I wish Kwan would come in August for 2010 IAS!
    As for Weir, he said he would have some shows in Russia, S.Korea and Japan with new Gaga program.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R1Iu...layer_embedded
    Does he mean he will come to Korea in August too?
    I'm not sure about Shae-Lynn and Michelle, but Ilia's been to Korea before the Ice All Stars last year. He was a junior skater then, though. So it's been years, but the Korean fans more than made up for it with their enthusiastic reception.

As for Johnny, I have no idea. Will there be another Yu-Na show in August? I sure hope so.

Custom Title
    I'm not sure about Shae-Lynn and Michelle, but Ilia's been to Korea before the Ice All Stars last year. He was a junior skater then, though. So it's been years, but the Korean fans more than made up for it with their enthusiastic reception.

As for Johnny, I have no idea. Will there be another Yu-Na show in August? I sure hope so.
    Thank you for the information about Kulik!

Yes, another Yuna show positively.
    April : "FOI" more for younger generation.
    June : "Super Match X" opportunity for seeing many medalists! Almost definitely NO Yuna.
    August : "IAS" more for all the generation, starring Yuna and others! (including Johnny???)

From reading the posts on her fan forums Yu-Na used to be with IMG Korea, but she's now with IB Sports. Apparently, there's some 'history' about this split, which is well-known to Korean fans. It's been discussed on her fan message boards. From what I've read, she's not likely to leave IB Sports (to say the least), which fans say have treated her very well (as opposed to when she was still with IMG Korea). Have you read cooper's post (#30) on this thread? Even now this issue is being discussed hotly on her English language fan forum: http://yunaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1506 .
    Thanks. I read your link. I have follow-up questions to ask:

1. What did IMG Korea do and not do to Yuna---other than not finding sponsors but one bank---which led to the split between Yuna and IMG Korea?

2. Is it the entire IMG or just IMG Korea that is against IB Sports? I assume that IMG is an international company with various branches in many places in the world. Is it only IMG Korea that's against IB Sports? Or does the entire company have a bad relationship with IB Sports? Alternatively, does IB Sports have bad feelings towards the entire IMG or just IMG Korea?

3. Is it IB Sports that does not send Yuna to IMG-organized events or is it IMG that does not send their skaters to IB-organized events? Or both?

4. Suppose a skater like Shizuka, who does not seem to belong to either of them, hosts an ice show. Then can Yuna and IMG-related skaters participate in the show together? Or will they have the situation where either Yuna or IMG-related skaters have to decline/withdraw because of the presence of the other(s)?

5. Does Yuna have to do everything through IB Sports? Can she organize an ice show independent of IB Sports?

6. Can't skaters work independent of the preferences of their agencies? Suppose any of the IMG skaters says that he/she wants to participate in IB-organized events, can they really not? Alternatively, if Yuna says that she really wants to participate in IMG-organized events, can she really not?
    Last edited by Bennett; 04-22-2010 at 09:45 AM.

skating philosopher
    Thanks. I read your link. I have follow-up questions to ask:

1. What did IMG Korea do and not do to Yuna---other than not finding sponsors but one bank---which led to the split between Yuna and IMG Korea?

2. Is it the entire IMG or just IMG Korea that is against IB Sports? I assume that IMG is an international company with various branches in many places in the world. Is it only IMG Korea that's against IB Sports? Or does the entire company have a bad relationship with IB Sports? Alternatively, does IB Sports have bad feelings towards the entire IMG or just IMG Korea?

3. Is it IB Sports that does not send Yuna to IMG-organized events or is it IMG that does not send their skaters to IB-organized events? Or both?

4. Suppose a skater like Shizuka, who does not seem to belong to either of them, hosts an ice show. Then can Yuna and IMG-related skaters participate in the show together? Or will they have the situation where either Yuna or IMG-related skaters have to decline/withdraw because of the presence of the other(s)?

5. Does Yuna have to do everything through IB Sports? Can she organize an ice show independent of IB Sports?

6. Can't skaters work independent of the preferences of their agencies? Suppose any of the IMG skaters says that he/she wants to participate in IB-organized events, can they really not? Alternatively, if Yuna says that she really wants to participate in IMG-organized events, can she really not?
    I think you can't really answer some of those questions without looking at Yuna's (3,5 and 6) contract with IB, which is obviously not in the public domain.
    I will say however that it's totally reasonable for skaters from one agency to skate in a show organized by someone else. Jeremy Abbott is full-time on Stars on Ice while Rachael Flatt is scheduled to participated with selected dates. As I mentioned before neither skater is a IMG client.
    It's important to note that while IMG and IB are both worldwide organizations, IB is still a Korean company. It's headquarters are in Seoul.

I tracked down an fairly old annual report from IB, [2007; see link here: www.ibsports.com/ir/2007_ibsports_eng.pdf ]
    Don't know if any of this applies now
    1.) It had an exclusive marketing agreement with the Korean Skating Union and
    2.) It was responsible for sponsorship from Koomin Bank to the KSU.
    3.) Yu-na has been on with IB since April 2007 and her contract is set expire next month.

There's probably a more current annual report out there, but it requires me to look through IB's mostly Korean Web site, and obviously I don't read Korean.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast