What song do you relate to what skater? | Golden Skate

What song do you relate to what skater?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm currently rambling in my blog about the wonder that is Kurt Browning - this is what happens when I convert tapes to DVD, I see a program/hear the music and go 'wait, I know a skater who did that one better!' :laugh: - the latest was last night watching a tape where Plushenko skated to Nyah in part of his program in... 2003 (I think?) or 2004.

That music belongs to Kurt and only Kurt (browning) as far as I'm concerned.

This has gotten me thinking. What music do you associate with what skater? Is there one particular program that signifies that skater? (in my case I think just about every program Kurt's skated as a professional has become a signature piece, along with the Grand Canyon Suite and Casablanca)

What are some of the signature pieces of the skaters over the years?

Bennett

Record Breaker
Jeff - Ararat, sing sing sing, the SP music of the Ararat year:) (which was the Golden year for Jeff), samson & delilah.
Johnny - The Swan (masterpiece)
Tomas - the Chinese movie piece
Stephane - Zebra
Evan - Carmen
Sasha - RJ
Shizuka - Tourandot
Yuka - the ballet pieces with which she won the WC
Yuna - Bond girl
Mao - Chopin Nocturne
Dai - Phantom of Opera
Sulya - Winter from Four Seasons
Midori - Raff
Miki - Micky (ex)
Mirai - Chaplin

Ren

On the Ice
Katarina Witt-- Carmen
The Protopopovs -- Ave Maria
Kurt Browning -- Nyah, Singin' in the Rain, Casablanca
Oksana Baiul -- The Swan
Sasha Cohen -- Romeo and Juliet, Hernandez Hideaway, Dark Eyes, Don't Rain On My Parade
Kristi Yamaguchi-- Malaguena
Evgeny Plushenko -- The Godfather, Tosca, Sexbomb :D
Shen and Zhao -- Turandot, Who Wants To Live Forever
Jenny Kirk -- Chicago
Michelle Kwan-- Salome, Fields of Gold, East of Eden, Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No.2, Reflection (Lea Salonga version)
Ilia Kulik-- Rhapsody in Blue
Gordeeva and Grinkov -- Moonlight Sonata, The Man I Love, Vocalise, Out of Tears
Johnny Weir -- Fallen Angels, Poker Face
Yu-Na Kim -- Danse Macabre, James Bond Medley, Gershwin Piano Concerto in F, Scheherazade (I've been told that Michelle did this better, but this piece was the first Yu-Na program I ever saw, so I'll forever associate it with her :D )
Daisuke Takahashi -- La Strada, Eye, Phantom of the Opera, El Tango de Roxanne, Hip-Hop Swan :)
Sale and Pelletier -- Love Story
Davis and White -- Samson and Delilah, Bollywood music (from Bunty Aur Babli and Devdas)
Alexei Yagudin -- Man in the Iron Mask
Virtue and Moir -- Umbrellas of Cherbourg, Mahler Symphony No.5
Akiko Suzuki -- West Side Story
Stephane Lambiel -- The Four Seasons (Zebra version :D ), William Tell Overture, La Traviata, Otono Porteno, Ne Me Quitte Pas
Mao Asada -- Czardas, Caprice, Bells of Moscow
Jeremy Abbott -- A Day in the Life
Torvill and Dean -- Bolero
Lu Chen -- The Butterfly Lovers, Spring Breeze, Adios Nonino
Adam Rippon -- Jonathan Livingston Seagull
Joannie Rochette -- La Cumparsita, Vole

Last edited:

Ren

On the Ice
Wow, you know a lot!

Ahahaha. Figure skating has taken over my life. I'm sure there are LOTS more people on this board who know LOTS more, though--my list is probably just the tip of the iceberg for the veteran fans. :D In all honesty, I only got caught up with skating last spring (initially because of Yu-Na). It snowballed from there, and I took to lurking around forums (as well as blogs and general skating websites) and reading about different skaters, --and downloading many youtube videos-- up until, hm, before Vancouver, IIRC (I took the plunge then and registered. :D). Everyone in the forums had an opinion as to which music was skated definitively by this or that person, but those I listed are mainly those performances which 'stuck' with me. Mainly I took note of other people's recommendations, but what I liked I decided for myself. :)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Interesting topic!

G&G - Moonlight Sonata, The Man I Love
Jeff Buttle - Samson & Delilah
Plushy - Sex Bomb :laugh:
Davis & White - Samson & Delilah, Indian OD
The Kerrs - Scottish OD
Paul Wylie - JFK, Schindler's List, Carmina Burana, On the Waterfront, Apollo 13, Henry V
Todd Eldredge - First Knight, Independence Day, Gettysburg, The Glory, Il Mare Calmo de la Sera
Brian Orser - The Story of My Life, orange Colored Sky (he did this in SOI)
Scott Hamilton - Hair, Walk this Way, I Love Me
Kristi - Doop, Doop, It's Oh, So Quiet
Alexei Yagudin - Lawrence of Arabia, Gladiator, Winter
Michelle Kwan - Salome, East of Eden, Winter (Tori Amos)
Philippe Candeloro - D'Artagnan
Kurt Browning - Casablanca, Singin' in the Rain, Brick House
Sasha - Dark Eyes, Romeo & Juliet, Hernando's Hideaway, Don't Rain on My Parade
Rudy Galindo - Swan Lake, YMCA (or is it a Village People medley?)
Shen & Zhao - Turandot
Bourne & Kraatz - Riverdance
Matt Savoie - The Mission, Ragtime, Adagio for strings (he did do that one, didn't he?)
Torvill & Dean - Bolero
Tanith & Ben - Gypsy music, If It Kills Me (currently doing it on SOI tour)
Brian Joubert - The Matrix
Elvis - Dragon
Hartshorn & Sweiding - 1492 (also loved Elvis & Todd's versions of these)
Katarina Witt - Carmen, Robin Hood, Lemon Tree
Kevin van der Perren - Robin Hood, Pirates of the Caribbean
Dubreuil & Lauzon - Somewhere in Time, At Last
Brian Boitano - Napolean, Music of the Night
Sale & Pelletier - Love Story
Elena & Anton - Chaplin (or is it called "City Lights"?)

Last edited:
I have to take a lot more time than I have right now to make a list, but when I saw this thread (great idea, by the way!), the thing that came into my mind was the Dvorak "Dumky" Trio that makes up most of Michelle's Song of the Black Swan. I put that music on frequently, because Dvorak is one of my favorite composers, and when it gets to the last movement, I see Michelle skating in my mind.

Paul Wylie definitely has a few pieces that are his alone, but my favorite of them is James Horner's music from the film Apollo 13, and the Henry V music that he skated to in his Olympic long program.

As for Kurt, I with you, Toni! The guy is without parallel. When I think of him, the first music that comes to mind is "Singin' in the Rain," which he performed so amazingly in his TV special. There was also that lovely Nat King Cole medley he skated in tribute to his wife Sonia.

We're talking over on another thread about various skaters performing to Libertango....wouldn't you love to see Kurt take charge of that music?

Bennett

Record Breaker
I have to take a lot more time than I have right now to make a list, but when I saw this thread (great idea, by the way!), the thing that came into my mind was the Dvorak "Dumky" Trio that makes up most of Michelle's Song of the Black Swan. I put that music on frequently, because Dvorak is one of my favorite composers, and when it gets to the last movement, I see Michelle skating in my mind.

I LOVED Caro skating to Dumky! (As for Michelle, I wasn't following FS when Michelle was around so that I just don't know about her program).

Bennett, I didn't know about Caro skating to that music; I'll look it up. Meanwhile, you might enjoy seeing Michelle's version on YouTube; it's called The Song of the Black Swan (which is actually the name of the other music, by Villa-Lobos, that Lori Nichol used for the program); The program is from the 200-2001 season. Here's one video of it. Notice that one of the things she does is spin in both directions. I also seem to recall that she turned out to be the only lady who actually did a triple-triple that year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37fJ8wTUAA4&feature=related

By the way, everyone, I don't know where to put this information, but I've just read online that Juan-Antonio Samaranch has died. He was the head of the IOC before Jacques Rogge. I believe that Samaranch is the man who opened the Olympics to non-amateur athletes, so he gave us the wonderful second chances of Browning, Boitano, Petrenko, Torvill-Dean, and Gordeyeva-Grinkov in 1994. If someone is reading this thread is a mod, please pass it along.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
so he gave us the wonderful second chances of Browning, Boitano, Petrenko, Torvill-Dean, and Gordeyeva-Grinkov in 1994. If someone is reading this thread is a mod, please pass it along.

Browning stayed in for 1994 not because pros were reinstated, but because it was only 2 years after his disasterous Olympics in 1992, IIRC.

Oh, thanks for the correction, Tonichelle! My mistake about Browning. It was just Boitano and Petrenko among the men who came back. Browning was still eligible.

I still have watched that 1994 short program (with the fall that cost Kurt a medal chance) only the once, but his long program was a thing of beauty and a joy forever.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
even with the issues in the SP, I love that program. I do watch it, and then when he hits the K&C I get teary-eyed.

seniorita

Record Breaker
this was fun with morning coffee

carmen witt
napoleon boitano
mambo petrenko
carmina burana peizerat anissina
love story S/P
lady caliph, mediatation from tais, chaplin soundtrack Elena/Anton
wonderland irina
OUATIM plush
scheherazade kwan, plush