What will 2010-11 bring for Caroline Zhang? | Page 11 | Golden Skate

What will 2010-11 bring for Caroline Zhang?

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Cello Concerto has some very fast parts in there. Caroline will have to skate really fast to keep up with those parts of the music. If she can keep up, this could be a powerful program.

feraina

Record Breaker
Yay, cello concerto and a tango! I love her music choices for this season! A change in choreographers and music style, all in the right direction. This is really exciting! I suspect Karen Kwan is doing her exhibition piece again. I agree, LeCygne, that it's probably Wilson for the long and Dickson for the short.

Of course she needs to change more than just these to realize her potential more fully. But the fact that these changes have come along with a new coaching situation gives me hope that her new coach is a smart enough woman, and Caroline has enough faith in her, that together they will identify and work on other critical aspects of her skating as well.

This is the most hopeful I have felt about Caroline in more than two years. :) :yay:

skatingcoach

Spectator
I'm sorry but this girl is not going to win another medal with these music choices. Her team needs better music selections. The tango music is okay, not the best tango music out there, that piece of tango is hard on the ear and no excitement in it. She should have picked Tango Flamenco. Look at what music selection has done for Akiko Suzuki, she went from a no one to someone last year because she got good music choices. If Zhang wants to win, she needs to play a character like what Kwan did with Salome or Taj Mahal. If she did Taj Mahal, I'll say she could be the next world champion even with her flaws. Her new long program music is so horrible. It's so slow, it's doesn't sound good. Why does she keep picking slow music. She is a slow skater and needs high energy music. I can't believe she still haven't learn from the past two seasons that her slow music choices are part of her problems. Slow music, slow skating = boring. Boring programs = low scores! Since Kim's out, maybe Zhang can get Orser.

Last edited:

feraina

Record Breaker
Her new long program music is so horrible. It's so slow, it's doesn't sound good.

It doesn't have to be slow. There are many fast parts in that cello concerto. Did you listen to all of it? We don't know which parts she picked. Until hearing it, I'll at least hold out hope that their team picked at least some of the fast parts.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Caroline will have to skate like Apolo Ohno to keep up with some of the parts in Cello Concerto in B minor.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Caroline will have to skate like Apolo Ohno to keep up with some of the parts in Cello Concerto in B minor.

That image is breaking me up! :laugh:

Seriously, I've never been a big fan of this girl--had written her off due to lousy jump mechanics and deteriorating attitude--and I don't expect that overnight, her flaws will be magically 100% corrected. But with some decent programs, and showing meaningful progress in speed and jump techniques...anything!...I might get back on board and eat a little crow.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I'm sorry but this girl is not going to win another medal with these music choices. Her team needs better music selections. The tango music is okay, not the best tango music out there, that piece of tango is hard on the ear and no excitement in it. She should have picked Tango Flamenco. Look at what music selection has done for Akiko Suzuki, she went from a no one to someone last year because she got good music choices. If Zhang wants to win, she needs to play a character like what Kwan did with Salome or Taj Mahal. If she did Taj Mahal, I'll say she could be the next world champion even with her flaws. Her new long program music is so horrible. It's so slow, it's doesn't sound good. Why does she keep picking slow music. She is a slow skater and needs high energy music. I can't believe she still haven't learn from the past two seasons that her slow music choices are part of her problems. Slow music, slow skating = boring. Boring programs = low scores! Since Kim's out, maybe Zhang can get Orser.

Maybe you can tweet Caroline and tell her what you think of her program selection and suggest to her that in order for her to become the next World Champion
she needs to change her LP to Salome or Taj Mahal. Yes music choice is important but correcting her technique is what Caroline needs to do to be in medal contention.

I see that this is your first post. Welcome to GS.

skatingcoach

Spectator
Zhang is a lovely skater and gets some of the highest TES scores when she is clean even with her flaw techniques. what is dragging her down are PCS scores. With good music choices and faster skating, she can be on the top. Look at Carolina Knoster, girl cant even land a jump and still gets a bronze medal at worlds. How, because she gets these inflated PCS scores.Techniques are hard to change when you are at Zhang age.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I hear that her costume will be a tight-fitting long-sleeved/long-legged skating suit and a yellow helmet for that program.

I wish! I bet it will be a pretty princess dress as usual....

I think Caroline would look good in a unitard though with her long, slim torso.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker

We are given one clue. Her costuming will be done by "Del Arbour", whatever that is.

EDIT : OK, I found it. They make figure skating costumes. http://www.delarbour.com/
I assume Caroline isn't buying off the rack.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think Caroline always (or almost always) wears Del Arbor. And I must admit almost always looks very pretty.

skatemom1122

Final Flight
Caroline does use Del Arbour every year. In fact, Del knows her very well. When I go up to see Del in CT every year for my daughter's dresses we always chat for a while. She makes beautiful dresses and is such a nice person too. And BTW, that is Becky in the picture, along with her sister, Allison. Del makes their dresses too.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker

Last year's dresses were not pretty princess. In any case, that wouldn't work with a tango.
Now that I think of it, what WOULD work with at tango? She can't wear a long dress with a slit up the side.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Last year's dresses were not pretty princess. In any case, that wouldn't work with a tango.
Now that I think of it, what WOULD work with at tango? She can't wear a long dress with a slit up the side.

The SP dress wasn't but both the LP dresses were. I think a unitard actually WOULD work for a tango, if it was black or black with red. It might help her seen faster and give her the appearance of more impact on the ice.

LeCygne

Final Flight
I didn't realize Del Arbour was based in CT, how cool! Caroline has indeed been using Del Arbour for as long as I can remember. I can't imagine that she comes to CT each year though.