Should Yu-na Kim retire or continue to compete? | Golden Skate

Should Yu-na Kim retire or continue to compete?

cooper

Medalist
She'll be back in Toronto on late May for her new programs regardless with her decision.

If you will give Yuna an advice what will it be?

:think:

Last edited:

wallylutz

Medalist
As a skating fan, I wish to see her continue, especially since she lost her World title. Though, she seems to dislike the pressure of competition and in that case, retirement from competitive skating is probably the best for her.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I say she should follow her heart. If she is enjoying herself, then she should continue. If not, I hope she finds what brings her meaning.
I agree with Wallylutz that I want her to keep going. There's great debate of course whether she's left enough of a legacy. But that debate aside, I think that it wouldn't hurt if she grabbed a couple more world and GPF titles on her way out. There's something about winning a competition multiple times.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I would like all the Gold Medalists to keep competing-Show your talent! I want to see that talent. Like with Witt and Dmitriev and Grishuck and Platov and lots of others. It seems there is a lot of "I accomplished everything there is nothing left" or "What if I lose? That will tarnish my reputation."

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I would like all the Gold Medalists to keep competing-Show your talent! I want to see that talent. Like with Witt and Dmitriev and Grishuck and Platov and lots of others. It seems there is a lot of "I accomplished everything there is nothing left" or "What if I lose? That will tarnish my reputation."

Witt is not a good example, considering that she was not allowed to stop competing by her Federation in 1984. She could not have turned pro even if she had wanted to (which she did). Grishuk and Platov turning pro after 1994 Olympics, maybe they just did not have many offers, LOL? And Dmitriev won a gold in 1992, maybe not so many pro offers? Besides in 1994 Olympics he and partner got silver and after that he changed the partner in some point. Urmanov did not turn pro in 1994, but does anyone believe he had some other choice? Plushenko did not turn pro in 2006, but pro life (=pro competitions where one became a pro) was not exactly florishing in that point...

I can well understand a skater wanting to turn pro after one had won the Olympics (which is the ultimate goal, in my opinion). Besides, e.g. Yagudin turned pro because he was injured (and Kulik was starting to have back problems in 1997-98 season). In past there were choices for popular skaters, pro competitions and skating tours (COI and SOI) were florishing. These days the matter is rather different. We will see what e.g. Yu-Na and Evan will be doing... They both have not been injuryfree. And they both have won both WC and OG, could they still find motivation to continue? To what purpose? They have nothing more to prove, IMO. I know that I would not continue, LOL, and would rather find other goals instead.

Last edited:

skateflatt

Rinkside
Witt is not a good example, considering that she was not allowed to stop competing by her Federation in 1984. She could not have turned pro even if she had wanted to (which she did). Grishuk and Platov turning pro after 1994 Olympics, maybe they just did not have many offers, LOL? And Dmitriev won a gold in 1992, maybe not so many pro offers? Besides in 1994 Olympics he and partner got silver and after that he changed the partner in some point. Urmanov did not turn pro in 1994, but does anyone believe he had some other choice? Plushenko did not turn pro in 2006, but pro life (=pro competitions where one became a pro) was not exactly florishing in that point...

I can well understand a skater wanting to turn pro after one had won the Olympics (which is the ultimate goal, in my opinion). Besides, e.g. Yagudin turned pro because he was injured (and Kulik was starting to have back problems in 1997-98 season). In past there were choices for popular skaters, pro competitions and skating tours (COI and SOI) were florishing. These days the matter is rather different. We will see what e.g. Yu-Na and Evan will be doing... They both have not been injuryfree. And they both have won both WC and OG, could they still find motivation to continue? To what purpose? They have nothing more to prove, IMO. I know that I would not continue, LOL, and would rather find other goals instead.
I agree with you. OGM is what the elite skaters want in their final resume.

Every skater must decide eventually when to retire from eligibility. In Yuna's case she has the right to defend her Olympic Title in 2014 provide the Korean Federation agrees to send her. She could decide now whether to continue with the Worlds championship or not. So the word retire is not apropro.

There hasn't been a Lady skater to win back to back Olys since Ms. Witt. I'd like to see Yuna go for it (and Evan, too).

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
YuNa has made it clear that she is undecided on what her future plans are. The girl needs a vacation where she can relax and eat all of the goodies that have been absent from her diet during training. YuNa has mentioned more than once in articles that she has been hungry and that eating makes her happy. She has accomplished all of her goals and and I can see her maybe sticking around for another season but imo not until 2014.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think she will take off a year before returning to start training again for 2014. i wish she would skate all the way through so we could have those programs to watch and see her grow as a legend a la Michelle Kwan, but really whatever makes her happy is the best choice.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I just had a thought. Would Yuna really want to retire on a less-than-her-usual best performance? Most competitors like to leave on a high note, but then again we've seen competitors continue to compete well after their peak, so who knows.

I agree it would be nice to see Yuna grow over the next few years. I think there's a few more inventive programs in her.

gmyers

Record Breaker

That is true about Witt. Also I forgot Sarah Hughes who just did not have any motivation after she won Gold and bombed the next season. I would bet they all retire but I don't want them to.

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
I really don't know. I think she should do whatever she thinks is right. She's still in good shape and fairly young (actually, my age), and I think she's capable of winning another OGM in Sochi. But at the same time, when you win young, it is good to be able to get on with your life, so maybe if she wants to go to school..... like I said, it's her choice, but it is good to leave on a high note.... despite her less-than-perfect Worlds, this season went well for her - winning the Olympics shattering her old records.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Retire.

But it's her choice. She should do only what she feels is right for her.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I wish she would stay and not be a pop-in, pop-out Olympic Gold medalist like Tara or Sarah or even Shizuka. I think the same for Virtue and Moir. But it's not really up to me - if she doesn't want to compete anymore, then she shouldn't.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I wish she would stay and not be a pop-in, pop-out Olympic Gold medalist like Tara or Sarah or even Shizuka. I think the same for Virtue and Moir. But it's not really up to me - if she doesn't want to compete anymore, then she shouldn't.

Lets not put Shiz in the pop-in, pop-out Olympic Gold medalist camp. Don't forget that Shiz had been competing for nearly 10 years when she won Gold in SLC. She was at the 1998 Olympics in Nagano. She was 16 at the time and placed 13th. She did not make the Olympic team in 2002. She was all set to retire in 2004 but winning the World Championship that year changed her mind. So even though she did retire after she won Gold she was not take the medal and run winner. Since her retirement among other things she has continued to skate professionally and like Kristi Y has kept up her technique and her artistry has improved immensely.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Shiz may not have "popped in" but she certainly did "pop out". Can't deny that

jian10

Rinkside
My wish for Yu Na....stay competitive another year and take back the world champion title. :)

parma

On the Ice
In the midst of all this, some changes are speculated to happen; new agency to represent her, being one of the changes.