Should Yu-na Kim retire or continue to compete? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Should Yu-na Kim retire or continue to compete?

brownfox

On the Ice
It is all dependent on her mindset. But for the sake of skating, I hope she will retire. Her presence is just not beneficial to skating. It is as simple as that.

Um, why is her presence not benefecial to skating? Is it because she's not Japanese? Enlighten me please? Or your another crazy bot trolling aroung this forum? :sheesh:

sodessss

Rinkside
Um, why is her presence not benefecial to skating? Is it because she's not Japanese? Enlighten me please? Or your another crazy bot trolling aroung this forum? :sheesh:

OK, I'm now trying to be polite. Personly, I have nothing against Yuna and Korea. About Yuna, it's just honest analysis of skating and about Korea, just some aspect of Korea bother me like fanatical media,etc. I'm highly critical person myself and I always critical of Japan also. Please don't get me wrong.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Flatt is not my favorite but I'd like to see her stick around. I question whether she has much room to grow, but as far as fighting for that third Worlds spot back, she is a solid top 10 world favorite. Looks like Nagasu is getting there (although Worlds was not such a good omen)...but besides those two, who else can place top 10? Wagner? She's an average scorer, above average even at her best. Czisny? Too inconsistent, although in a perfect world she'd be capable of top 10. (Insert name of your favorite up-and-comer skater here)? Too soon to tell, and needs much more room to grow before she can even be considered a contender.

Bottom line: If we want that 3rd spot back, we need Rachel. At least based on the way things stand right now.

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
Flatt is not my favorite but I'd like to see her stick around. I question whether she has much room to grow, but as far as fighting for that third Worlds spot back, she is a solid top 10 world favorite. Looks like Nagasu is getting there (although Worlds was not such a good omen)...but besides those two, who else can place top 10? Wagner? She's an average scorer, above average even at her best. Czisny? Too inconsistent, although in a perfect world she'd be capable of top 10. (Insert name of your favorite up-and-comer skater here)? Too soon to tell, and needs much more room to grow before she can even be considered a contender.

Bottom line: If we want that 3rd spot back, we need Rachel. At least based on the way things stand right now.

Did you mean to post this to Rachael's Stanford thread?

Queens Guy

Rinkside
OK, I'm now trying to be polite. Personly, I have nothing against Yuna and Korea. About Yuna, it's just honest analysis of skating and about Korea, just some aspect of Korea bother me like fanatical media,etc. I'm highly critical person myself and I always critical of Japan also. Please don't get me wrong.

Why don't you answer brownfox' question: why is her presence not beneficial to skating?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

It's fine to be polite. Heck it's fine to be critical. What's not fine is making generalized statements without anything to back your opinions up.

It took four content-filled paragraphs for GS user Wallylutz to explain with great clarity why he belives Yuna will leave behind a great legacy in ladies figure skating: See this link http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...uence-and-legacy)/page2&highlight=Yuna+legacy (look at post #18)

Do you expect people on this board to accept a generalized statement that "Yuna's presence does not benefit skating" with nothing else to back up your opinion?

All I would like is if you can be specific. You said you want to give honest analysis. Please share some of that with us.

sunny0760

On the Ice
About Yuna, it's just honest analysis of skating and about Korea, just some aspect of Korea bother me like fanatical media,etc.

Yesterday, I really did not know how to respond to your posts which were so out of place, blunt and unpleasant to many readers.
Now I still don't know how you will react but here is my advice for you.
(I write this because you say you live in Korea and learn Korean. I speak very fluent Japanese and have met so many Japanese people so far. I just wish your Korean would improve and get a good job. And about nationalism in Korea, students in Korea University, I think, are traditionally a little more nationalistic than others.:laugh:)

You said in Mao's possible coaches thread; "... I don't like Yuna because she is Korean but she is robotic."
First, you should decide where your comments should be... in general, you don't have to bring up your very negative opinion of Yuna in Rachael's future thread or Mao's coaches thread.
Secondly, I think you want to say, "I don't like Yuna. It's not because she is Korean but because she is robotic." Right? Or, do you really mean it? :sheesh:
Thirdly, you think these comments - robotic, just a copycat of Ando, Japan is so good so they are jealous, she should retire because her presence is not beneficial to skating - can be called analysis?:confused: Well, Mr. P already said about it but...

Last edited:

tarotx

On the Ice
I hope she doesn't retire. Unless she wants to recreate pro skating as a viable circuit. She has the most lovely toe pick triples perhaps in history and she has great edges,flow and speed but her body positions are often middle of elite row and I think she could really improve in this area. She can add a triple axel. She can really grow musically too. She's probably the best now but she's not yet there if we are talking about history and I feel she has that potential.

brownfox

On the Ice
I know Yuna is very vocal about turning pro if she doesn't continue. I'm just wondering if there is enough money/recognition in the pro circuit? What else is there? :think:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I know Yuna is very vocal about turning pro if she doesn't continue. I'm just wondering if there is enough money/recognition in the pro circuit? What else is there? :think:

She has enough star power to rejuvenate it herself, I would think. She and maybe some of the Japanese skaters can start.

sodessss

Rinkside
OK,thank you for your advice. I really appreciate that. I always thought Koreans are emotional and overly sensitive about everything but you seems to be different.
First, I'm here to improve my English because normaly I don't have time to study English.
Second, I'm slightly play devil's advocate here. Because even if there's a problem people pretend here nothing has ever happened. I'm really sick of hypocrisy . There seems to exist Don't ask, Don't tell policy here.
So, what are problems?
Here they are.
1)Yuna's been wearing braces to straighten her teeth,then why do you Yuna fans pretend she is natural beaty.
2)Johnny is not invited to SOI while Micheal and Alissa are performing there. It is unacceptable. Why do you guys tretend it's nothing to do with homophobia.
3)In general, Japanese skaters don't go to school and they are just given diplomas. Then why do you guys pretend they take education very seriously.
4)I appreciate diversty. Yuna's being robotic is ok unless with that quality she command the whole skating scene and wins every event. If that happens then it means system is simply dysfunctional.
5)Well, I have a Chinese friend who is my classmate.Recently he had his money stolen. We went to police station and you know what police men simply didn't have a will to solve a problem.It was about 4000$ in US $ and he is in trouble to finish his education here in Korea. If you are a caucasian Korea is heaven.Every one is kind to you and every one wants to be friends with you. But if you are an asian or black, they look down on you and you'll feel humiliated every day. And if you are a Japanease it is worse. Is it racism or nationalis or what?
OK, it is enough. I stayed all night doing homework. I'm too tired to talk about Yuna's claim to be interrupted by Mao and Miki.
So long.

So, what are problems?

Here they are.

1)Yuna's been wearing braces to straighten her teeth,then why do you Yuna fans pretend she is natural beauty.

That's your number one problem?

I wish I had your problems. :)

Basics

On the Ice
5)Well, I have a Chinese friend who is my classmate.Recently he had his money stolen. We went to police station and you know what police men simply didn't have a will to solve a problem.It was about 4000$ in US $ and he is in trouble to finish his education here in Korea. If you are a caucasian Korea is heaven.Every one is kind to you and every one wants to be friends with you. But if you are an asian or black, they look down on you and you'll feel humiliated every day. And if you are a Japanease it is worse. Is it racism or nationalis or what?

Don't act like you guys don't do that now. Japan is notorious for discriminating other asians. Don't you know how Koreans are treated in Japan? well, I think you do. btw, not all Koreans are like that. Actually, some are extremely nice to Japanese people.

ok, this is a figure skating forum, so I will stop here.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
OK,thank you for your advice. I really appreciate that. I always thought Koreans are emotional and overly sensitive about everything but you seems to be different.
First, I'm here to improve my English because normaly I don't have time to study English.
Second, I'm slightly play devil's advocate here. Because even if there's a problem people pretend here nothing has ever happened. I'm really sick of hypocrisy . There seems to exist Don't ask, Don't tell policy here.
So, what are problems?
Here they are.
1)Yuna's been wearing braces to straighten her teeth,then why do you Yuna fans pretend she is natural beaty.
2)Johnny is not invited to SOI while Micheal and Alissa are performing there. It is unacceptable. Why do you guys tretend it's nothing to do with homophobia.
4)I appreciate diversty. Yuna's being robotic is ok unless with that quality she command the whole skating scene and wins every event. If that happens then it means system is simply dysfunctional.

None of your points really speak to Yuna's skating, except you say it's robotic. Can you be more specific?

And as a former braces wearer, I am offended by the first problem you have! :laugh: Just kidding.

As for your issues with Korea and the Japanese education system, that doesn't really belong in a forum about figure skating. There's a whole separate politics thread on GS if you want to talk about it there.

parma

On the Ice
Wow, I thought Mao or Japanese skaters in general were expressionless as a stick, and in fact that is pretty much how the skating world perceives the typical Japanese figure skating style. That is the Japanese skating tradition coming down from the Midori Ito era - jump jump jump and make sure no emotions and connections to audiences occur. No one will notice if Mao and Miki switch their programs.

Last edited:

miki88

Medalist
Wow, I thought Mao or Japanese skaters in general were expressionless as a stick, and in fact that is pretty much how the skating world perceives the typical Japanese figure skating style. That is the Japanese skating tradition coming down from the Midori Ito era - jump jump jump and make sure no emotions and connections to audiences occur. No one will notice if Mao and Miki switch their programs.

Lol. Way to respond to someone's biased generalizations with another biased generalization. :rolleye:

princess9

On the Ice
I think for her sake, her happiness, retirement is best. Nonsense? SHE says she wants to skate shows around the world. Obviously her Korean fans will be disappointed as she's the sole proprieter of FS in Korea. It's not like you won't see her in shows, on TV, in commercials. She has lived for her fans and Korea. Don't her super fans want her to be happy? Should she skate for you even tho she's done with competing? So it seemed at worlds.