Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Should Yu-na Kim retire or continue to compete?

Down With It
    I also thought it was a general-purpose thread but it turned out to be another Yuna thread, which there happen to be three other ones as well. Nothing wrong with that but add me to the list of folks that think that Yuna Kim's name should be added to the thread title as to not potentially confuse readers.

Mr./Mrs./Ms. Mod can you change the title to Yuna Kim: Retire or Compete?

The best advice would be to retire of course,after worlds it probably won't get that much better compared to last year,she's done.

Custom Title
    I want to see her continue, maybe after taking a season off (she certainly deserves a break!). Despite her amazing accomplishments, I think there's still room in her for progress. I'd love to see a mature, life-experienced Yu Na on top of the meticulously well trained Yu Na.

If she does decide to retire, I'd love her to bring back life to the pro circuit. World Pro Championships with Shizuka, Sasha, Yu Na, Joannie, Irina... How great would that be?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hikki View Post
    I want to see her continue, maybe after taking a season off (she certainly deserves a break!). Despite her amazing accomplishments, I think there's still room in her for progress. I'd love to see a mature, life-experienced Yu Na on top of the meticulously well trained Yu Na.

If she does decide to retire, I'd love her to bring back life to the pro circuit. World Pro Championships with Shizuka, Sasha, Yu Na, Joannie, Irina... How great would that be?
    Wouldn't that be great, to have a revived pro circuit? With TV presence, or at least a YouTube "reporter" transmitting all their routines...

I love your description of YuNa as meticulously well-trained now, but with the potential to be mature and life-experienced. Like many, I am a bit worried that if she isn't as spectacular next year as she has been this year, people will think that her reputation has lost its luster. She deserves to be remembered as one of the greatest skaters ever, but eligible skating can be very unforgiving. However, if she instead continues to contribute to skating as a pro, everything she does will be seen as growth. Think of all the amazing programs that people like Kurt Browning have done as pros, which went way beyond even their memorable achievements as competitive skaters. (And think of CoP rules these days: spiral has to be here, spins this many variations, this many steps in footwork, count the jumps...not always the ingredients for artistic innovation!)

So, much as I love having YuNa around for the foreseeable future, I kind of want her to think of another way to be a skater. But maybe that's just the Nervous Nellie in me. Whatever she does, I'll remain her fan! Because the one really distressing thing would be if she stops skating before we can see her as a mature artist.

Custom Title
    I think she should retire tho competing would be fine, too. My only concern for that would be that she gets overscored and marked up on reputation and other skaters don't get their fair chance or due. Popularity and likeability are not CoP scored factors but they matter. I think she said she is happier doing shows and she can continue to get better and work on the presentation and artistry. She has nowhere to go but down. She has to live up to Oly gold. There is no way she'll do 4 years until Sochi and I think odds are against another gold medal with all the great skaters coming up. Sure its possible but I think she wants to move on. She does not love to compete and it shows in her face. I hope she does her own world tour and brings her show over here.

Quote Originally Posted by princess9 View Post
    I think she should retire tho competing would be fine, too. My only concern for that would be that she gets overscored and marked up on reputation and other skaters don't get their fair chance or due. Popularity and likeability are not CoP scored factors but they matter. I think she said she is happier doing shows and she can continue to get better and work on the presentation and artistry. She has nowhere to go but down. She has to live up to Oly gold. There is no way she'll do 4 years until Sochi and I think odds are against another gold medal with all the great skaters coming up. Sure its possible but I think she wants to move on. She does not love to compete and it shows in her face. I hope she does her own world tour and brings her show over here.
    ...lots of speculations with no clear evidence. great.

Custom Title
    What a non-sense!!

You took the words right out of my mouth alright,she has been getting over scored yeah so others won't get a chance,i noticed.

On the Ice
    It is all dependent on her mindset. But for the sake of skating, I hope she will retire. Her presence is just not beneficial to skating. It is as simple as that.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sodessss View Post
    It is all dependent on her mindset. But for the sake of skating, I hope she will retire. Her presence is just not beneficial to skating. It is as simple as that.
    Um, why is her presence not benefecial to skating? Is it because she's not Japanese? Enlighten me please? Or your another crazy bot trolling aroung this forum? :sheesh:

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by brownfox View Post
    Um, why is her presence not benefecial to skating? Is it because she's not Japanese? Enlighten me please? Or your another crazy bot trolling aroung this forum? :sheesh:
    OK, I'm now trying to be polite. Personly, I have nothing against Yuna and Korea. About Yuna, it's just honest analysis of skating and about Korea, just some aspect of Korea bother me like fanatical media,etc. I'm highly critical person myself and I always critical of Japan also. Please don't get me wrong.

Down With It
    Flatt is not my favorite but I'd like to see her stick around. I question whether she has much room to grow, but as far as fighting for that third Worlds spot back, she is a solid top 10 world favorite. Looks like Nagasu is getting there (although Worlds was not such a good omen)...but besides those two, who else can place top 10? Wagner? She's an average scorer, above average even at her best. Czisny? Too inconsistent, although in a perfect world she'd be capable of top 10. (Insert name of your favorite up-and-comer skater here)? Too soon to tell, and needs much more room to grow before she can even be considered a contender.

Bottom line: If we want that 3rd spot back, we need Rachel. At least based on the way things stand right now.
    Last edited by R.D.; 05-07-2010 at 09:40 AM. Reason: add emphasis

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Flatt is not my favorite but I'd like to see her stick around. I question whether she has much room to grow, but as far as fighting for that third Worlds spot back, she is a solid top 10 world favorite. Looks like Nagasu is getting there (although Worlds was not such a good omen)...but besides those two, who else can place top 10? Wagner? She's an average scorer, above average even at her best. Czisny? Too inconsistent, although in a perfect world she'd be capable of top 10. (Insert name of your favorite up-and-comer skater here)? Too soon to tell, and needs much more room to grow before she can even be considered a contender.

Bottom line: If we want that 3rd spot back, we need Rachel. At least based on the way things stand right now.
    Did you mean to post this to Rachael's Stanford thread?

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by sodessss View Post
    OK, I'm now trying to be polite. Personly, I have nothing against Yuna and Korea. About Yuna, it's just honest analysis of skating and about Korea, just some aspect of Korea bother me like fanatical media,etc. I'm highly critical person myself and I always critical of Japan also. Please don't get me wrong.
    Why don't you answer brownfox' question: why is her presence not beneficial to skating?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast