Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Latest rumors involving Yuna and Mao

Latest rumors involving Yuna and Mao

Credit from Squallb at the YuNa Forum:
    http://yunaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1523

Yes, yes, another thread involving Yuna and Mao but.......

1. According to recent reports, Mao Asada has made an offer to Brian Orser to coach her, and Orser is considering the offer, after discussing the situation with Yuna.
    2. Yuna will likely to terminate her agency contract with IB Sports, and form her own company which is similar to what Rain.

http://sports.media.daum.net/general...511103&p=nocut

Hmmmm. This is getting interesting...
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 04-23-2010 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Plagiarism is not allowed on Golden Skate

Custom Title
    I won't believe the 1st rumor until it's been confirmed by more news sources. And hasn't it been discussed in this forum earlier that Mao is looking for a Japanese coach/team of Japanese coaches? Because other than a coach, she has a cushy training situation in Japan--private ice time on a rink at her university. Her choreography, on the other hand, will probably come from a non-Japanese.

As for the second, well I'd still wait and see until there's more clarification. It's early days yet in the off-season...

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren View Post
    I won't believe the 1st rumor until it's been confirmed by more news sources. And hasn't it been discussed in this forum earlier that Mao is looking for a Japanese coach/team of Japanese coaches? Because other than a coach, she has a cushy training situation in Japan--private ice time on a rink at her university. Her choreography, on the other hand, will probably come from a non-Japanese.

As for the second, well I'd still wait and see until there's more clarification. It's early days yet in the off-season...
    Yea I agree about the 1st rumor. Japanese news reports had already said earlier that Mao will be looking for a coach that will be based in Japan. It seems unlikely that Mao will choose a foreign coach because she prefers to stay in Japan and it is not likely Brian Orser will move to Japan.

Custom Title
    Yeah I know Rain from Ninja Assassin. You know it's weird but the thought of Mao going to Brian crossed my mind. Of course I was thinking if Yu na left the competitive ranks.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I too am doubtful over the first rumor. Mai has expressed that she wants tomstay in Japan, and I think she is too classy a lady to ask Brian to coach her until Yu-na officially retires.

Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    Yuna's economic impact is estimated at 5 trillion Won, which is almost 5 billion US dollars.
    She could buy the Bahamas (gross national product US$4.92 billion), or Armenia ($4.44). Or she could buy either Bermuda (2.68) or Barbados (2,63) and still have plenty left over to buy Monaco (1.01).

Custom Title
    What exactly does economic impact mean? I'm under the impression it's like , hm, the influence someone might have on the economy--like, if it's Yu-Na:

*her successes generate interest and income for Korea's skating program, increased media devoted to FS, more skating-related events
    *her endorsements generate sales, possibly leading to more jobs/increased wages for the companies, as well as raising their stock value
    *the sales of the products she endorses means there's spending, money is being circulated, better economy?

Someone please explain?

Custom Title
    Credit from Squallb:

1. According to recent reports, Mao Asada has made an offer to Brian Orser to coach her, and Orser is considering the offer, after discussing the situation with Yuna. This would obviously hinge on whether Yuna chooses to retire. If she does, it is very likely that Orser will coach Mao. Brian's coaching contract with Yuna expired at the end of this season and has not yet been renewed or renegotiated.

2. Yuna will likely to terminate her agency contract with IB Sports, and form her own company which is similar to what Rain. If anyone is familiar with Rain I'm sure you'll aware about his status in Asian pop scene. It is reported that her advertising income was split 75/25 between Yuna and IB Sports, which was way too high considering Yuna's market value, and even though IB Sports has offered to lower their share, it is likely that their agency agreement will not be renewed. Yuna's economic impact is estimated at 5 trillion Won, which is almost 5 billion US dollars.

Now these articles quote unidentified IB people, "According to sources related IB..."
    I don't think these so called articles should be given credit at all. They are not confirmed yet, they are not from main media.
    It's sad to see IB seemingly leaking some not verified things about their (possibly former) client. It looks like there are ruptures, prompting some changes in the near future.

Custom Title
    Credit from Squallb:

1. According to recent reports, Mao Asada has made an offer to Brian Orser to coach her, and Orser is considering the offer, after discussing the situation with Yuna. This would obviously hinge on whether Yuna chooses to retire. If she does, it is very likely that Orser will coach Mao. Brian's coaching contract with Yuna expired at the end of this season and has not yet been renewed or renegotiated.

2. Yuna will likely to terminate her agency contract with IB Sports, and form her own company which is similar to what Rain. If anyone is familiar with Rain I'm sure you'll aware about his status in Asian pop scene. It is reported that her advertising income was split 75/25 between Yuna and IB Sports, which was way too high considering Yuna's market value, and even though IB Sports has offered to lower their share, it is likely that their agency agreement will not be renewed. Yuna's economic impact is estimated at 5 trillion Won, which is almost 5 billion US dollars.

1. The source is unreliable, and even if it's true that Mao has made an official offer to Brian, it is highly unlikely to happen.

2. most likely at this point, and I absolutely support her doing so. / economic impact is not actually what she earns, of course.
    Last edited by Basics; 04-23-2010 at 10:45 AM.

What exactly does economic impact mean? I'm under the impression it's like , hm, the influence someone might have on the economy--like, if it's Yu-Na:

*her successes generate interest and income for Korea's skating program, increased media devoted to FS, more skating-related events
    *her endorsements generate sales, possibly leading to more jobs/increased wages for the companies, as well as raising their stock value
    *the sales of the products she endorses means there's spending, money is being circulated, better economy?

Someone please explain?
    It's not just influence, it's the estimated amount of ACTUAL CASH that enters the Korean economy that comes from something related to Yu-na.

Some of the examples you pointed are part of this.
    You also have to consider...
    ** By investing in the juniors program, she funding ice rink time, choreographers, coaches and other people that support the Korean figure skating industry. In turn those folks now have money to buy things like Zamboni, music and the other stuff the need spurring businesses that supply those things.
    ** Her media appearances. Given her high-profile the television stations probably made more money in advertising because they could persuade advertisers with greater viewership when she's on a given program. (Such as her 2009 Nation's Hope special last year.)
    ** SNSD, IU and Brown Eyed Girls record sales might have been connected to their songs being featured on Festa on Ice.
    ** Festa on Ice was likely a boost for the tourism industry with people coming from all over Korea (maybe Asia) to stay in Seoul's hotels and restaurants. They also bought plane, train tickets and bought gasoline.
    ** Of course the obvious, when Yuna has an ice show that's a whole bunch of jobs that wouldn't be there otherwise.

Economic theory states that for every dollar (or I guess in this case 1,000 won) that is spent, it gets turn over seven times. Let's take the Festa on Ice show, for example. The people who get paid to work on the show in turn spend money at restaurants and retailers. The workers who work at those restaurants and retailers get paid from the business and then spend the money elsewhere. You get the point.

To give some perspective on how much $5 billion of economic impact from one person is...
    ** The Vancouver Olympics's estimated economic impact was $10 billion.
    ** The Super Bowl, the biggest football game of the year in the US, is expected to bring in about $600 million to Dallas, the 2011 host site. That's a record amount.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 04-23-2010 at 10:49 AM.

Custom Title

Someone please explain?
    I think your assumption would be more or less right. According to some articles since her winning at olys, the 5 trillion came from some research conducted by an institute of sports business/marketing.
    The institute also assumed the economic impact of 14 medals Team Korea got at this olys is 21 trillion Won.
    http://news.donga.com/3//20100308/26700962/1

Anyway, the economic impact consists of direct impact (Yuna's income, merchandise sales including name licencing products, effect of commercials etc) and indirect impact (increasing positive image of Korea, media value etc). Could somebody elaborate more, please? However, I believe this ridiculous figure, 5 trillion, is total sum of these calculated or uncalculated value.

Therefore, the 5 trilion it's definitely not Yuna's income - which was said to be 9 billion Won last year. She cannot buy Bahamas.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    whole post
    Thanks for clarifying, Mrs. P! And sunny0760!

Sounds like these rumors are not true. I apologize for bringing this up. But this is an off season what can I do? LOL.

Custom Title

Someone please explain?
    I don't know exactly, but some strange numbers economists calculate. No practical meaning. YuNa's economic impact here is the economic impact she contributed to Korean economy during Vancouver Oly. It doesn't mean her economic value in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
    I don't know exactly, but some strange numbers economists calculate. No practical meaning. YuNa's economic impact here is the economic impact she contributed to Korean economy during Vancouver Oly. It doesn't mean her economic value in any way.
    No practical meaning? Uh, I would politely disagree. This is not imaginary money they're talking about here. They're talking about real money being circulated in people's pockets. Jobs for local workers. Vitality for local skating rink and other related businesses. Money being spent in local hotels and restaurants during ice shows.

Heck she's prompting economic impact in other parts of the world too. By having skaters like Kiira Korpi skate in her shows, she's funding their training expenses and therefore the money from Korea ends up in Korpi's ice rink coffers, the pockets of her coach and choreographers.

Yuna's revenue, spurred from commercials, appearances and winning competitions, is said to be about $7-$9 million. Once she pays for her expenses and the sponsor ship of junior skaters her net worth is still probably a few million.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast