Best and worst costumes of the season
What skaters had the best and worst costumes of the season? I personally love simple costumes that do not distract from the skating but enhances the program. The skating should speak for itself. I think HD TV has changed the face of skating because I had no idea so many rhinestones were used in skating! Plus Project Runway is on, so I'm kind of in the mood. Anyway...
Worst- Volosozhar/Morozov. She had the body for it but he looked really tacky.
Best - Savchenko/Szolkowy. The vintage costumes was very appropriate for the music.
Worst: Morand/Dorsaz. Fake burberry?
Best: Takahiko Kozuka
Worst: Azbal Rakimgaliev
*I never really cared for Johnny Weir's taste but I really liked his SP costume this year, even with the tassel.
Best: Evan Lysacek (Nationals). Gray and black are is favorite combination and the fit was very flaterring. I also liked the caged shurg. I was disappointed he didn't use it at the Olympics.
Worst: Evgeni Plushenko. He look like a craps dealer gone wrong. Also, Alban Preaubert. He might as well wore an Ed Hardy t-shirt and did a program about the Jersey Shore.
Best: Davis and White. Very authentic Indian attire.
Worst: Dominina and Shabalin. Tacky, offensive, just plain bizzare. Its like they made their costumes from the fake plant section at walmart. Also Beier/Beier, I was quite offended, too.
Best: Ilynikh and Katsapalov. (WJC) Dramatic yet understated. Controversy yet tasteful.
Worst: Belbin and Agosto. Ben just looked sloppy this season. I think it was the hair.
Best: Yu Na Kim
Worst: Rachel Flatt. It just was flat.
Best: Yu Na Kim
Worst: Alena Leonova.
*For Yu Na Kim, I don't expect anything less from someone who's net worth is $9M.
Best - Pang/Tong(OGM)
Best: Daisuke Takahashi
Best: Nobunari Oda
Best: Mao Asada(TEB)
Best: Yu Na Kim
Dreaming and dancing
Men's: LP. Johnny.
Men's SP. Nob.
Ladies LP. Lepisto. Very pretty. All of the Akiko's dresses were pretty good, too. Ashley. Simply fantastic. Caro's. Simply beautiful.
Ladies SP. Ashley. absolutely beautiful. Mao (the pink one with a bouquet of flowers that she wore at COR, Nationals, and 4CC). Caro's Worlds.
Miki's LP costumes, except for the first beige one and the Oly. The tiger one at Nationals was the worst.
Kiira's neon costume. Who designes her costumes and how happy she is with them? Good for her that her beauty is not ruined regardless. Give her better costumes and how much more beautiful she may look.
Caro's SP costume. Earlier in the season. Embarrassing.
Elena's. The black one that covers up to her neck makes her look older than she is.
All of Miki's SP costumes. They are busy and make her look heavier than she is. She looks great in those black pants she practices in, slim, athletic, nice lines - she should really considering wearing a unitard for one of her programs next year, I think it would play in her favor, her jumps look so crisp in practice in those tight black clothes.
Rachael's SP and LP costumes. Not the best color choices for her skintone.
Yuna's SP costume
Amanda Dobbs SP and LP costume
Mirai's SP costume
Ashley's LP costume
Cynthia's LP costume
Best: Kiira's lp dress, very chic and classy. Elena Glebova's lp dress, dramatic and striking. Miki's brown cleopatra dress, very flattering to her figure and gorgeous.
Yuna's sp dress, very unique and sexy in haute couture way.
Worst: Kiira's sp dress, made her look like a highlighter, Alena's lp dress, nothing Roxy about that dress, Miki's entire costume collection, Mao's mint sp dress at TEB, so glad she wore it only once.
No one's complaining about Mao's LP costume? I liked her pink SP costume, though. Her new SP at the Olympics looked more like lingerie.
For the men, I liked..
- Joubert SP and LP
- Chan's LP
- Sawyer's LP
- Brezina's LP
- Reynolds SP
- Lysacek LP.. I hate snakes
- Rakimgaliev LP (I think it was LP, or it might have been SP.. but anyway, the burgundy, pink and white shirt.)
- Johnny Weir SP - just way too girly.. for some reason some pink was alright on Brezina's LP costume, but Johnny's just looked.. wrong.. like that garter thing.. ack
- I think this was the SP for Lambiel, but anyway, the one with the puffy sleeves
For the ladies I can't think of any costumes that I hated. I did like Joannie's SP, Mirai's LP, and Mao's SP.
For the pairs, I liked both Denney and Barrett's, Savchenko and Szolkowy's LP, both Shen and Zhao's, and Pang and Tong's LP. I didn't like Kavaguti and Smirnov's LP one. Didn't like Bryce Davison in just a shirt for his LP with Jessica either.. I know it was supposed to fit the theme but they could have had something a BIT fancier than that.. she was in a nice dress..
- Virtue & Moir FD
- Davis & White FD
- Domnina & Shabalin CD (not the OD hahahaha)
- Delobel & Schoenfelder FD
- Hoffman & Zavozin OD
- Navarro & Bommentre FD
- both OD & FD for Carron & Jones
- Samuelson & Bates FD
- Weaver & Poje OD & FD
Yeah, I really like dance costumes..
Worst for dance:
- Belbin & Agosto OD
- Domnina & Shabalin OD (WORST EVER!!)
- Navarro & Bommentre OD
- Crone & Poirier FD (weird colour for both of them)
- Khokhlova & Novitski FD
- Jeremy's SP. Some people have complained about it, but I liked it a lot. It suits him well, looks different from the other costumes, and has some style without being over the top.
- Daisuke's SP. Very stylish!
- Johnny's SP. With my username, how could I not mention this one? ;-) I understand the hate for it, but I love it because it's just so... Johnny. He's the only one that could pull it off.
- Patrick's LP. I love how elegant and sophisticated he looked.
- Johnny's LP. It worked very well for the program, I loved the detail, and just thought it was overall beautiful.
- Ashley's SP. Elegant and pretty, and I liked how she wore colors not typically used. The one sleeve also drew attention to her graceful arms.
- Joannie's SP. Very lovely, intricate, and original.
- Yuna's SP. My favorite costume this season. It's stunning and fit the program perfectly.
- Yuna's LP. A very close second to her short program costume. I love how it's fairly simple yet looks amazing on her.
- Ashley's LP. The color was very pretty on her and I love the flowers on her shoulders and in her hair.
I don't watch pairs or dance much, but I loved Meryl's and Charlie's OD costumes and Tessa's and Scott's FD costumes.
- Nobunari's SP. It just didn't work for him, IMO.
- Samuel's SP. Just... no.
- Miki's SP. So heavy and the cross in the middle... ugh.
- Miki's LP. Too revealing and once again strange.
- Alena's LP. Just not flattering and didn't fit the music.
- Domnina and Shabalin's OD. Ew. I almost turned the tv off.
Ah, the figure skating costumes.
Last edited by RockTheTassel; 04-11-2010 at 01:37 AM.
The Future Mrs. Evan Lysacek
Best: Shen/ Zhao
For all three dance disciplines:
Best: Virtue/ Moir
Worst: Domnina/ Shabalin
Bona Fide Member
Best: Yu-na Kim Bond girl, Virtue and Moir, OD.
Haha so true! She's gone for the lingerie look a few times with Tarasova, remember the black outfit she wore last season?
Originally Posted by jian10
My fav lady's outfit this year was Ashley's purple LP dress, very fine detailing and it worked well with the music. Also loved Sasha's red SP dress, Laura's purple SP dress, Caro's (2nd) red SP dress and Mao's TEB SP dress (reminds me of an ice cream cake!).
Dreaming and dancing
The only Johnny costume I did not like very much throughout his skating history was his SP. I generally like guys wearing pink, but that one just did not work for me and I did not find that costume most flattering to Johnny's beauty. I liked a previous red/black/white one better in my avatar.
Are you serious? There is a you tube video of a story done on the costume designer based out of Montreal, Canada. She has done costumes for Joanne and Yuna this year and she has done costumes for many elite skaters. In it she says that she considers Yuna's Bond Girl SP costume her master piece and one of the most important pieces of her work. She spent something like 200 hours putting every single rhynestone on it. She also did Yuna's LP dress
Originally Posted by #1Kerryfan
Last edited by aurora100; 04-10-2010 at 02:48 AM.
I completely detested Cynthia Phaneufs Worlds LP costume. (Cleopatra). It looked as if she had wrapped a towel around her hips.