Oda goes back to Lee Barkell | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Oda goes back to Lee Barkell

Bennett

Record Breaker

I know! I am glad that she does!

I hope that Nob gets sponsors. He's been stronger than Koz so far. I trust that Koz does not need sponsors coz he's already has one (Toyota) even though Toyota has traditionally been known for being an economic, stingy company that demands cost-benefit analysis of every penny they invest. But I hope that they are generous enough for covering needed expenses. Dai has earned a lot last season for serving as one of the symbol athletes that bring a large sum of money to the Japanese Olympic Committee by appearing in various commercials.

There is no denial that Nob's sponsorship has been affected by the DUI two seasons ago. This past Olympic year was an excellent opportunity for him to redeem his social reputation. He basically comes across as a likable, innocent boy with happy atmosphere. But his lace at Oly never helps sponsorship deals, not to mention Worlds.

I am not sure if his unplanned pregnancy affects sponsorship. As he took the responsibility by getting married with a long-term girlfriend, it's basically a socially desirable outcome. But becoming a father as a student, while having such an extremely unstable, expensive, competitive career as a skater, seems shaky from the commonsensical view. You are expected to live up to the expectation as an adult of mature age. People often tend to delay their marriage in their 30s because of financial and social responsibilities. A wedding costs $30,000 on average, for example.

Nob has earned the reputation as a likable, but careless boy who often makes sloppy mistakes. People in general society do not know much about his history of three-time zayaks, the fence incident, or failure to talk to Dai before contracting with Morosov. But still, people kind of know and remember Nob for DUI, the lace, and unplanned marriage.

What happened happened and I am skeptical how much he will change. But I still hope that he copes with the new situation well and changes his image into something a little more dependable and reliable. Basically, if Suguri can get 10 offers of sponsors, Nob should be able to get a lot more for his youth and better competitive records, although I won't picture him shooting a commercial.

Last edited:

yukisnowflake

Rinkside
Re: Fumie Suguri- On Thurs. Apr. 29 she was interviewed in Richmond Hill (where she has been working on choreography).
She was interviewed by the people who run the web site www.japanskates.com
It will be posted on the site sometime in mid-May as per Fumie's request.

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
I am actually wondering how much it takes to compete at highest levels.

I hear that Mao spent like $600,000 per year and Fumie $200,000.

Generally speaking, I read that top coaches can charge like $180 per hour (though they may charge for 20 min/ 30min rather than for an hour). If you train like 2.5 hours a day, it will be $108,000 per year. Programs also can cost another $20,000 for each, costing $40,000. The Japanese Skating Federation cover all the expenses necessary to go to international competitions. But the skaters still need to pay for the hotel etc of their coaches. Costumes, Miki's are estimated to cost like $4000-$7000 each.

If you include the ice time, no wonder if it can be $200,000 for Suguri and $600,000 for Mao who has a bigger team (she has a full-time physical trainer and translator).

Wrlmy

Medalist
God, so Miki spent thousands of dollars on those disastrous costumes last year alone? I knew skating was expensive, but I had no idea it was that expensive.

Bennett

Record Breaker
God, so Miki spent thousands of dollars on those disastrous costumes last year alone? I knew skating was expensive, but I had no idea it was that expensive.

Yeah, I am wondering how her employer Toyota, the company traditionally famous for being frugal and cost-effective, is dealing with all those costs. Also JSF has KOSE, a top cosmetic company, as one of the major sponsors. Why don't they help skaters with makeup?