Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Possible Khokhlova/ Andreev partnership

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ituriel View Post
    http://www.livesport.ru/others/2010/04/30/khokhlova/

This is turning more serious... and scary
    Jana Khokhlova doesn't know what she is getting herself into...

That said, Fedor Andreev is actually well known in Canada, he used to be a well known skater in his early 20s. The mix feeling of having a well known Canadian skater now competing for Russia, possibly becoming Russia's new #1 dance team, competing against Canada's current Olympic & World Champions in Ice Dance who is trained together by the said skater's mother who left Russia to become a Canadian citizen... I don't know about you, my head is getting dizzy by all these turns and twists and inter-connections.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Well, dope that I am , i haven't worked out how to get transations... but am I understanding correctly that this is confirmation that it's a serious consideration, but not a done deal, yet..or is it a done deal ?

They certainly know how to keep us amused.

Never mind, got it. Formal request....Zowies!
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 04-30-2010 at 02:09 PM.

Sitting Here on Blue Jay Way silver.blades's Avatar
    Google translator and you can find one that will give you the gist. It pretty much says Yana has asked the Russin Fed. for permission to dissolove her current partnership and team up with Andrev.

Custom Title
    OH Jana, what were you thinking???

Thanks, silver.blades..Oh, this is so surreal. But listen, before any of us panic..take the bridge...or whatever , the vids must have shown some promise, otherwise no-one would be thinking this way. I can't really see Jana as the little moth casting itself into the flames. ( Wait..is that a FD theme?)

Custom Title
    http://www.sports.ru/others/figure-s.../70404520.html

In this article, from yesterday, Igor Shpilband expresses confidence in the pairing of Khokhlova and Andreyev. He says that he and Marina Zueva definitely want to "undertake this project". The article says the training will be in "America", so I think they will be training in Detroit, at Igor and Marina's regular training base. Only the financing is uncertain, for now. It may be that Igor is influenced by Marina in this, since Andreyev is her son, but I trust Igor's judgement, and I have seen on YouTube evidence that Fedor is deeply talented. Jumps used to be his weak point, years ago, but dancers do not have to jump. *wink* I am very eager to see this couple in action on the ice.

Omg is this serious?! Wow.. I thought this would never work.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Omg is this serious?! Wow.. I thought this would never work.
    so now Virtue and Moir, Davis and White, Samuelson and Bates AND Khokhlova and Andreev are training with Igor and Maria?? AND the Shibutanis

Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Jana Khokhlova doesn't know what she is getting herself into...

That said, Fedor Andreev is actually well known in Canada, he used to be a well known skater in his early 20s. The mix feeling of having a well known Canadian skater now competing for Russia, possibly becoming Russia's new #1 dance team, competing against Canada's current Olympic & World Champions in Ice Dance who is trained together by the said skater's mother who left Russia to become a Canadian citizen... I don't know about you, my head is getting dizzy by all these turns and twists and inter-connections.
    Well there's quite a lot of mixed feelings in Russia from what I understand about North Americans using coaches that were trained and developed by their former sports system. The feeling is no foreign coaches helped them win World or Olympic medals. And then for them to see young Russians not getting the training the once would have gotten...

To be frank the Russians have some really talented young dance teams coming up, so I'd think it would be difficult for Jana to be successful with Fedor. They'd be better of backing young teams like I/K and B/S, both which have more equal partnerships.
    Last edited by bekalc; 04-30-2010 at 10:20 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    Well there's quite a lot of mixed feelings in Russia from what I understand about North Americans using coaches that were trained and developed by their former sports system. The feeling is no foreign coaches helped them win World or Olympic medals. And then for them to see young Russians not getting the training the once would have gotten...
    Considering Marina Zueva was pretty much forced to leave Russia or starve because she was young and wasn't established when the Red Machine collapsed (only the like of Tarasova, Dubova and Moskvina were protected by the Russian Fed.), I don't think the Russians have any business in crying foul in 2010. She left Russia out of necessity, moved to Canada, used her skills to earn a living so that her and her son wouldn't starve on the streets. Where is the Russian Fed when she needed the support the most? Marina Zueva specifically said after the Winter Olympics that the program she created for Virtue/Moir in 2010 which led them to win the Olympic Gold was a special thanks to how Canadian people have treated her. If you were Marina Zueva, do you feel you owe the Russian Fed anything? I think not. That's why when Maxim Shabalin floated the idea that all Russian coaches should be recalled back to Russia after their defeat in Vancouver, Zueva just ignored that completely by saying no one has ever asked her this question in all these years. And when Russian Fed. later counter-proposed and said they want to send a team to work with them in America, Zueva responded by: "Show me the money" I think the Russian Fed. expected to play the national card and compel Zueva to coach a Russian team at deep discount but she wouldn't buy it. It says to me, she is perfectly comfortable and loyal to her adopted country for which she is now a citizen and marched with Virtue/Moir during the opening ceremony.

Igor Shpilband defected from the USSR, I doubt he would ever want to go back.

To be frank the Russians have some really talented young dance teams coming up, so I'd think it would be difficult for Jana to be successful with Fedor. They'd be better of backing young teams like I/K and B/S, both which have more equal partnerships.
    Politics in Russia is sometimes difficult to understand. I read that if V/M were born in Russia, they would be slotted into 3rd place behind D/S and K/N due to their age. I/K may look hot now but it is not unusual for a World Junior Champ in Ice Dance to drop 20 points or more in transition from Junior to Senior. Very few World Junior Champs went on to have a successful Senior career. Likewise, even if you never won Junior Worlds, you could still be great in the Senior rank.

Considering Marina Zueva was pretty much forced to leave Russia or starve because she was young and wasn't established when the Red Machine collapsed (only the like of Tarasova, Dubova and Moskvina were protected by the Russian Fed.),Where is the Russian Fed when she needed the support the most?
    I never said that Zoueva and company didn't have good reason to leave. And Shalbin's call back to Russia was ridiculous. People have built their own lives. But I could point out that she and Igor would coach Russians because "they haven't forgotten where they came from." So I suspect it depends on their interview. The thing is while the Russian federation might not have been able to help her, and I think there was more they had to be concerned about then paying the coaches. The old system DID give her the tools to be able to get a good job in Canada.. And I think maybe that's where some of the Russians might feel a bit like, we paid for your training and now your using it against us... :lol:

I think though they can't really expect Igor or Marina to want to move back when they are so successful here. Any more than I think they can expect Valeri Liukin who wasn't a well established coach to move back to coach Russian gymnasts.

Still though skating is looking up for the future in Russia. And if they can partially rebuild their system, it might be attractive to benefit from it. Because they do know that system works. But I think Igor/Marina would be afraid to jeapordize their standing her with the North American federations...
    Last edited by bekalc; 05-01-2010 at 01:52 AM.

Exactly, Wallylutz...These people didn't exactly have great career opportunities in Russia at the time and considering the hold of the hierarchy, their future prospects were not bright either. Even Dubova lost the favour of her federation...

Jana has nothing to lose by this move , if there really are no suitable partners for her in Russia. As of now , Z/S are seen as the premier Ice Dance coaches ... even if Fedor doesn't work out , she gets to keep skating.( she would still be able to make another change if something better came along) If I/K are kept at Junior level..she'll still be 1/2 of one of the top 3 Senior Russian teams.I don't think any of the people involved expect it to be a complete disaster. They all have their professional reputations to think of. They must think the have something worth working with.
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 05-01-2010 at 01:19 AM.

I don't know if i should edit, or post again..oh, well.

bekalc..I don't think Marina and Igor's various interviews necessarily show any disingenuousness. Their work is the product of the Russian school of skating ,even if they took their skill and knowledge in directions they wouldn't have been able to in Russia. I'm pretty sure no Russians have asked before , but I doubt Z/S would have said no, as long as there was no interference from the Russian federation.
    OTOH, I'm sure they're both grateful for the opportunities they've had in their new countries...and I'm sure Marina was sincere when she told Canadian TV that she considered Tessa and Scott her 'Canadian Diamonds" ( how often does talent like that drop into a coach's hands ?)

I'm wondering if we're not seeing a speeded-up version of what happened in ballet in the last century..when Russian dancers and choreographers left Russia for artistic freedom in the west. For a long time ,Russia ignored them and their accomplishments, but eventually relaxed ,and now are proud that they produced them.They've accepted having to share them with everyone else.
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 05-01-2010 at 02:09 AM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    It seems unlikely that I&K will stay junior, eligible or not, any more than V&M stayed juniors after they won Jr. Worlds.

(and BTW, D&W went senior after finishing 3rd at the same Jr Worlds because Meryl had aged out of juniors. Charlie was a year younger, and could have remained a junior until he was 21.)

I bet you're right about I/K doris. Some people seem to think they'll stay...but I'd want to move them up, myself..

Still , although I wondered if I'd woken up on Mars the morning I first read the K/A rumour...this could be OK for Jana ..I doubt Z/S would risk putting out a product that was utterly embarrassing , son or no...The vids have been seen. Would the Russian Fed throw money at something they thought was doomed to failure ? ( Unless Jana's being used as a test balloon , to see if they ,RSF , can work with Z/S . I profoundly hope not.)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast