Emily Samuelson/Evan Bates Make Coaching Change to Shpilband and Zoueva | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Emily Samuelson/Evan Bates Make Coaching Change to Shpilband and Zoueva

wallylutz

Medalist
Wallylutz - I agree the change is no guarantee..but I do think it's an awfully good bet.

At what cost, that's my question. I don't question the need to change, though I have been hammering hard on the $ consideration. Someone did a ballpark estimate of how much it costs to train with Zueva/Shpilband at the top level @ about $100,000 / year. Even a team like V/M had to rely heavily on their parents to subsidize their training and Tessa's dad is actually a very rich man - not every team has rich parents. My guess is S/B and their parents would need quite a bit of sacrifice to have them trained with Zueva/Shpilband.

In regard to HM/C , I'm not sure they should have been placed behind Ralph and Hill ( who I like ,as well) at Canadians. HM/C had no problem placing well above them at 4CC , with not that much more training time under their belts. But apart from placements, the difference in Allie and Michael from the previous year in terms of polish and choreography was vast. I'm assuming that Z/S are fully capable of making a like transformation with S/B..and consider that S/B are at a more advanced stage of development to begin with.

R/H very convincingly defeated HM/C in both OD and FD at the Canadian Nationals. If there was a question between 2nd and 3rd, there was no rumbling at all about 4th and 5th. 4CC was one competition, it hardly means anything and at this point, it's history and most likely won't be a reliable predictor of future success. The expected elimination of CD in Senior Ice Dance will likely favor R/H as CD is definitely their weakest link, where they placed 7th at the Canadian Nationals but moved up dramatically to 4th after OD and FD.

I think they can definitely bring Evan out of..his shell? the background? He has a sort of Dan Daley-ish vibe..I think they'll be able to bring it out a bit.:biggrin:

For their sake, I hope that's the case. I look forward to seeing what kind of magic Zueva/Shpilband can do to this young team.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
It does make for a strange situation at US nationals, doesn't it ?:unsure: And while I do think that variety is a good thing, if there was ever a coaching team that could manage to give those teams distinct ,competitive programs it's Z/S .

Gee, that $cost$ is pretty phenomenal , but what is S/B's training costing them now ?