94 Olympics (Dance) | Golden Skate

94 Olympics (Dance)

J

j02445

Re: 94 Olympics (Dance)

No if's about it - definitely Torvil & Dean. I was shocked at the results - I bet T&D were, also!

J

Jules Asner

Torvill & Dean were magnificent that night - lost on "technicalities" (i.e. block judging)

K

Katja73

Definately T&D. Their OD was breathtaking and their free dance was pure dance. I loved it. :)

B

Bleuchick

Oh my Gosh, don't get me started on this!

Grrrr... I am still not over it. Even 8 years later.

R

rgirl181

Clearly in the minority here, but with a reason: I think G&P deserved the gold over the Free Dance T&D performed at the Olympics. However, T&D changed about 80% of the FD they did at Euros, which narrowly beat G&P, to get what they did at the Olympics. IMO, T&D had a well-crafted traditional dance at Euros that just needed some spiffing up here and there and changed it into a dance that was not well-connected and that depended too much on T&D "stunts." I thought the FD they did at the Olympics looked rather desperate, as if T&D were pulling all their "tricks" out of the hat in order to compete with the younger, faster Russians. Had T&D stuck with essentially the same choreography they had for "Let's Face the Music" at Euros, I think they would have beaten G&P.

For G&P's part, I felt they had a well-balanced piece that was both technically difficult and entertaining. They also introduced great speed into ice dance and I think its time had come. And not just speed for speed's sake, but speed with difficult choreography.

Usova/Zhulin's Fellini piece just didn't suit them. They never found the "center" to that piece and never looked comfortable skating it.

Okay, start throwing eggs now!
Rgirl

I

icenut84

Lol Rgirl, nobody's gonna throw eggs! Not even me. ;) Everyove who has an opinion on this competition has perfectly valid points and reasons. I would have had it 1st - T&D, 2nd - G&P (probably), 3rd - U&Z. (Loved Rahkamo & Kokko's but they fell).

R

rgirl181

Thanks, Icenut. Since I dogded at least one egg, I am curious as to your opinion on something: T&D apparently received a significant deduction for the ending "over the shoulders" flip that Chris did with Jayne. Do you think this deduction was warranted?
Rgirl

I

icenut84

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Thanks, Icenut. Since I dogded at least one egg, I am curious as to your opinion on something: T&D apparently received a significant deduction for the ending "over the shoulders" flip that Chris did with Jayne. Do you think this deduction was warranted?[/quote]

No, I don't think so. The rules were about lifting the woman over the shoulder level (I think). Chris explained afterwards than he didn't, the somersault where Jayne went over his head was initiated by her, her swinging her legs helped the momentum (which is true). When she went over his head, he wasn't actually lifting her or supporting her in any way. Some of the judges said the somersault was the reason for their placements, some said other things, some just said "I judged what I saw". Besides, Grishuk and Platov broke the rules regarding separations three times - the limit for a separation was 5 seconds, and one of theirs was timed at 13 seconds, but they didn't receive any deductions for those (that caused a lot of controversy). Apparently, a press conference was called regarding the marks following the competition, where the referee reportedly "blustered and bellowed" defending the placements, but wouldn't say a word when someone brought up G&P's illegalities.

L

LADSKATER

Torvill and Dean; Who else? Need I say more?

Ladskater

D

DORISPULASKI

Torvill and Dean were unique. No one has come close to them IMO. Certainly not in the 1994 Oly's.
dpp

V

Verbalgirl77

T&D.

However, I think the G&P free skate is one of my all-time faves in ice dance. It just seemed so fresh and exciting the first time I saw them do it at Euros. I think they really sold it. I love the middle slow section. It could have been an amateur, professional, or exhibition program. I wish they didn't have the seperation problems, but other than that I liked the program a lot.