Best hopes for the next 4 years (until sochi 2014) | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Best hopes for the next 4 years (until sochi 2014)

seniorita

Record Breaker
Maybe russian skating federation provides one hairdresser for all. :p

I forgot Dimitriev's son, he had a good season. And also the young boy who is trained with urmanov?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Polina is one of the most popular names in Russia now, my mother is a teacher, and there are 10 girls in her class, 3 of them are Polinas ;)

As for US juniors, I saw only Yasmin Siraj and can say that she is nice, but her technique is really strange, I've never seen a 3Lz like this, not sure that she will save her jumps for future

That is the look for skaters in Russia (don't really know why), fortunately not for all guys

I know Yassi struggles with the 3lz a bit and has a strange takeoff for the 3sal, but her 3f, 3lo, and 3t appear really secure and normal looking. For her it's not just all about jumps either, she is a good spinner, flexible, fast, and has a great presence on the ice.

gmyers

Record Breaker
That is the look for skaters in Russia (don't really know why), fortunately not for all guys

LOL you are right-I did a quick youtube search of every Russian skater I know of and like 90% of them have that haircut. I just saw the resemblence in the Borodulin brothers but didn't really notice a lot of hairstyles.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Maybe russian skating federation provides one hairdresser for all. :p

I forgot Dimitriev's son, he had a good season. And also the young boy who is trained with urmanov?

Russia needs to invest in better coaches. There are way too many good junior ladies right now and if they all disappear after puberty due to bad jump technique it will just be so sad.

I think Ovcharova and Agafonova should get shipped abroad ASAP and find better jump coaches, those two girls are awesome, but both have rather scary technique. They were two of the most pleasant surprises this season and both girls have "it" and loads of potential. With better jump technique, they could take on Mao Asada in a few years. However, if they stay in Russia I'm just a afraid the technique won't get fixed. I can only imagine what a coach like Orser or Artunian could do with either girl. Polina has amazingg spins and Anna is so musical and the queen of transitions. I say we all pitch in and send them abroad so that come Sochi those two can kick butt :laugh:.

KKonas

Medalist
The US has a lot of talent coming up through the novice ladies. This year at nationals the novice ladies were a much deeper field than the junior ladies (save Agnes). Leah Keiser, Ashley Cain, Katarina Kulgeyko, Gracie Gold, Courtney Hicks, and Polina Edmund are all very impressive. Leah and Gracie have very solid 3lz and 3f already! I hope a few of these girls get JGP assignments this season, they sure can handle it!

I wouldn't get too excited re novice level ladies as they all must go thru puberty and we all know what can happen after that. If you look at the history of novice ladies champions, there are very few who have gone on to achieve senior accomplishments. Only Rachael Flatt, Kimmie Meissner in the past 13 years made an impact. Naomi Nari Nam almost made it (2007) but her hip injury eventually ended her career. Can't say much about Baga 2009, Secundy 2008 or Maxwell 2007, who were all touted to be the next big thing. So far it's still a waiting game for those past three novice champions, to see if any of them wil succeed at the senior level. Too soon to say anything re the current novice crop. Re: Polina Edmund and Jere Longman's interview with Polina and her mom and it seemed to me that mom was more motivated to have Polina continue skating.

Lucky Star

Final Flight
Russia needs to invest in better coaches. There are way too many good junior ladies right now and if they all disappear after puberty due to bad jump technique it will just be so sad.

I think Ovcharova and Agafonova should get shipped abroad ASAP and find better jump coaches, those two girls are awesome, but both have rather scary technique. They were two of the most pleasant surprises this season and both girls have "it" and loads of potential. With better jump technique, they could take on Mao Asada in a few years. However, if they stay in Russia I'm just a afraid the technique won't get fixed. I can only imagine what a coach like Orser or Artunian could do with either girl. Polina has amazingg spins and Anna is so musical and the queen of transitions. I say we all pitch in and send them abroad so that come Sochi those two can kick butt :laugh:.

They don't need to go anywhere. Polina Agafonova is working with Urmanov now, Igor Moskvin helps her with her jumps (last year she only begun to try 3Lz in her FS and now she has impressive 3Lz-3T, I think her coach did a job very well). Anna also has a very good coach, Svetlana Sokolovskaya, and her jumps improved a lot this season. Orser? But when Yuna came to him she already had good technique. On the other hand, I don't think Gao's technique is much better than Agafonova's for example. Arutunian? He didn't even try to fix Mao's flutz and I don't think his students had the best jump technique. These girls have all the chances to be successful in Russia. And the best jump coach in the World, Alexei Mishin, is still in Russia

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I´ve been watching specially Russian junior skaters from YouTube a lot lately, trying to find new promises, since it seems that many of great skaters are going to retire these days, leaving empty rinks behind. I´ve seen that potential You mentioned, and they all will possibly become seniors about the same time.

I also wish to see Artem Borodulin´s younger brother, Sergey Borodulin to progress:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOlVSG390ik

Thanks for the clip! Pleasant looking skating, but this young guy, as well as Russian senior skaters, needs a decent choreographer.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
They don't need to go anywhere. Polina Agafonova is working with Urmanov now, Igor Moskvin helps her with her jumps (last year she only begun to try 3Lz in her FS and now she has impressive 3Lz-3T, I think her coach did a job very well). Anna also has a very good coach, Svetlana Sokolovskaya, and her jumps improved a lot this season. Orser? But when Yuna came to him she already had good technique. On the other hand, I don't think Gao's technique is much better than Agafonova's for example. Arutunian? He didn't even try to fix Mao's flutz and I don't think his students had the best jump technique. These girls have all the chances to be successful in Russia. And the best jump coach in the World, Alexei Mishin, is still in Russia

Oh ok, I'm glad to hear this. Mishin works out of St Pete though right? So for anyone living in Moscow that's likely not gonna happen. I didn't know Anna's coach was so good either, all I knew was that she also coaches Gerboldt who isn't exactly a great skater technically (but hey she's pretty so no complaints :biggrin: ), but Anna at 14 can already do more difficult jumps than Katarina anyway. And maybe you are right about these overseas coaches, I just feel like there are always a lot of talented European skaters and then so many of them end up injured or headcases or disappearing. That being said, I think the tides are changing. Russia seems to be a force again and I think that should continue until at least 2014, where the Olympics will be in Russia and all, and Finland was very excited about Lepisto's world medal. Then Brezina and Verner have helped Czech Republic and Sarah Hecken looks goof for Germany, Javi for Spain....maybe this really is the beginning of a new era in skating. I really hope so!

janetfan

Match Penalty
And maybe you are right about these overseas coaches, I just feel like there are always a lot of talented European skaters and then so many of them end up injured or headcases or disappearing. That being said, I think the tides are changing. Russia seems to be a force again and I think that should continue until at least 2014, where the Olympics will be in Russia and all, and Finland was very excited about Lepisto's world medal. Then Brezina and Verner have helped Czech Republic and Sarah Hecken looks goof for Germany, Javi for Spain....maybe this really is the beginning of a new era in skating. I really hope so!

Do you really think Russia is a force again? Most would see this as the lowest point for their skating in 40 years.

For every European headcase or skater that never makes it we have just as many in N. America who might fall into the same category.

People wonder how many medals Tomas would win if he could just skate cleaner under pressure.
Don't we think the same for Jeremy?

Can any Lady in the world skate as beautifully as Alissa and still manage to miss so many jumps?

Last edited:

Lucky Star

Final Flight
Oh ok, I'm glad to hear this. Mishin works out of St Pete though right? So for anyone living in Moscow that's likely not gonna happen. I didn't know Anna's coach was so good either, all I knew was that she also coaches Gerboldt who isn't exactly a great skater technically (but hey she's pretty so no complaints :biggrin: ), but Anna at 14 can already do more difficult jumps than Katarina anyway. And maybe you are right about these overseas coaches, I just feel like there are always a lot of talented European skaters and then so many of them end up injured or headcases or disappearing. That being said, I think the tides are changing. Russia seems to be a force again and I think that should continue until at least 2014, where the Olympics will be in Russia and all, and Finland was very excited about Lepisto's world medal. Then Brezina and Verner have helped Czech Republic and Sarah Hecken looks goof for Germany, Javi for Spain....maybe this really is the beginning of a new era in skating. I really hope so!

Anna's coach, Svetlana Sokolovskaya, is pretty young for a coach and doesn't have well known students yet, but maybe Anna will be the first, who knows? ;) The more important that she knows how to work with Anna, she knows what music suits her better, how to use her natural musicality and make her doing all these transitions (her entrances on the jumps are really difficult). As for Katarina Gerboldt, she came to Sokolovskaya only last summer and then decided to try in pairs, now Tamara Moskvina is her and her partner's coach

Do you really think Russia is a force again? Most would see this as the lowest point for their skating in 40 years.
It was a really hard time for skating in Russia, but now there are so many talented young skaters and I think in Sochi our team's results will be much better. At this year Junior Worlds, for example, Russian skaters won medals in every discipline

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker

For every European headcase or skater that never makes it we have just as many in N. America who might fall into the same category.

People wonder how many medals Tomas would win if he could just skate cleaner under pressure.
Don't we think the same for Jeremy?

Can any Lady in the world skate as beautifully as Alissa and still manage to miss so many jumps?

I think Russian skating is on the rise. There are many, many talented young skaters from Russia now mostly in ladies but also in men's and pair's as well. It surely was at a low point since Irina retired, but Makarova is looking good and there are plenty of young teenagers looking poised to be threats in Sochi. The Russian skaters did very well at Junior Worlds and also at the Olympics.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Anna's coach, Svetlana Sokolovskaya, is pretty young for a coach and doesn't have well known students yet, but maybe Anna will be the first, who knows? ;) The more important that she knows how to work with Anna, she knows what music suits her better, how to use her natural musicality and make her doing all these transitions (her entrances on the jumps are really difficult). As for Katarina Gerboldt, she came to Sokolovskaya only last summer and then decided to try in pairs, now Tamara Moskvina is her and her partner's coach

Fair point, Anna is definitely packaged well for such a young skater and she does have very difficult transitions in her programs already. Anna's grandparents are famous actors in Russia and in an interview her coach said that she always tries to make Anna's programs dramatic because she has the same theatrical flair as her grandparents. I think next year the plan is to work on the LP more in the hope of not having it pull her down in the standings, hopefully it will work, her SP is just fantastic! So is Gerboldt officially done with singles now or will she continue to compete in singles as well as pairs? Also, who is her partner? I hope she finds success in pairs, she is so beautiful!

Lucky Star

Final Flight
So is Gerboldt officially done with singles now or will she continue to compete in singles as well as pairs? Also, who is her partner? I hope she finds success in pairs, she is so beautiful!

AFAIK, Katarina is not training as a single skater anymore (she skated in Moscow this season in Sokolovskaya's group and now came back to St.Petersburg), her partner is Alexander Enbert (he skated with Ksenia Ozerova http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VZfIJet_h0&feature=related ). Moskvina is a great coach, I think she sees their potential if she decided to work with them.
And I can say, they'll look wonderful together :thumbsup:
http://i045.radikal.ru/1003/af/0697c1cfe847.jpg
The picture was made about 2 years ago, there are Alexander, Katarina and Ksenia Ozerova

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker

The Russians have a lot of young talent coming up. They were the only country to medal in every discipline at Junior worlds, and finished with more medals than everyone else as well. Its not like they are relying on just one or two little girls, they have probably about 10 young girls with potential right now. Making it on to international teams is going to be very tough in Russia in the next few years, and the headcases are going to be weeded out.

They also have some potential in pairs, and a couple of talented young teams in dance. Especially I/K who just oooz star quality.

janetfan

Match Penalty
The Russians have a lot of young talent coming up. They were the only country to medal in every discipline at Junior worlds, and finished with more medals than everyone else as well. Its not like they are relying on just one or two little girls, they have probably about 10 young girls with potential right now. Making it on to international teams is going to be very tough in Russia in the next few years, and the headcases are going to be weeded out.

They also have some potential in pairs, and a couple of talented young teams in dance. Especially I/K who just oooz star quality.

I have no reason to doubt your predictions.
As for the 2010 Olympics - well Pisseoff didn't get fired because the Russian skaters did so well/

Just saying that from a (an) historical perspective - such a poor showing in Pairs and Dance had to hurt.
And let's face it - the "bungee" Dance team was as gifted as any I can ever recall in Olympic history.

Maybe that is to bold - as so many Russian skaters have been gifted over the years.
Think Oksana - the "two footed" Ukranian wonder girl ;)

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
AFAIK, Katarina is not training as a single skater anymore (she skated in Moscow this season in Sokolovskaya's group and now came back to St.Petersburg), her partner is Alexander Enbert (he skated with Ksenia Ozerova http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VZfI...eature=related ). Moskvina is a great coach, I think she sees their potential if she decided to work with them.
And I can say, they'll look wonderful together :thumbsup:
http://i045.radikal.ru/1003/af/0697c1cfe847.jpg
The picture was made about 2 years ago, there are Alexander, Katarina and Ksenia Ozerova
I saw katarina in moscow and she didnt make me any impression skating wise(she is very beautiful though). I m glad she went to pairs and Moskvina has a new pair! I really liked Agafonova at Junors(her spins:love:) and Elisaveta in Moscow:)

gmyers

Record Breaker
I have no reason to doubt your predictions.
As for the 2010 Olympics - well Pisseoff didn't get fired because the Russian skaters did so well/

Just saying that from a (an) historical perspective - such a poor showing in Pairs and Dance had to hurt.
And let's face it - the "bungee" Dance team was as gifted as any I can ever recall in Olympic history.

Maybe that is to bold - as so many Russian skaters have been gifted over the years.
Think Oksana - the "two footed" Ukranian wonder girl ;)

Obviously any head of a skating association is going to be judged by how the skaters do at the highest level not the the junior level. Psieev could be seen as presiding over a major lady boom but that wouldn't make up for worlds and the olympics.

With Domnina and Shabalin I mean Canada was just about the least likely place aside from the United States that they would have been able to win a medal.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:disapp: /\ The trouble is , their OD and FD were the two least likely programs ever to have actually won a medal of any colour.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Well, DomShabs did win Worlds in LA. I don't think you can deny the fact that this was without a doubt the worst quad for Russian skating, climaxing in their worst Olympics. However, I don't know how you cannot look at their juniors and some of the extant seniors and not be excited for the future for them.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Well, DomShabs did win Worlds in LA. I don't think you can deny the fact that this was without a doubt the worst quad for Russian skating, climaxing in their worst Olympics. However, I don't know how you cannot look at their juniors and some of the extant seniors and not be excited for the future for them.

I was thinking of the Olympics and the Domhabs of 2009-2010. All of the rest is true and undebateable. Which is why Piieev is leaving or being forced out. That doesn't mean however that no Russian skater or team was never a deserving winner of something.