Best hopes for the next 4 years (until sochi 2014) | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Best hopes for the next 4 years (until sochi 2014)

bekalc

Record Breaker
I have no reason to doubt your predictions.
As for the 2010 Olympics - well Pisseoff didn't get fired because the Russian skaters did so well/

Just saying that from a (an) historical perspective - such a poor showing in Pairs and Dance had to hurt.
And let's face it - the "bungee" Dance team was as gifted as any I can ever recall in Olympic history.

Maybe that is to bold - as so many Russian skaters have been gifted over the years.
Think Oksana - the "two footed" Ukranian wonder girl ;)

Of course the situation hurt, but the situation was expected. It was pretty clear four years ago that Russia didn't have a lot of young talent. And the talent they did have struggled with injuries like the Dom/Shabs, who were very promising until Maxim's knee issues.

The results in Vancover were a result of the Soviet Union collapsing, lots of coaches leaving, young kids not taking up skating. However, right now if you look at Russia's young talent and compare it to their talent four years ago, things for Russia are obviously looking up.

1. They have a lot of talent in ladies. One could argue more talent in the 11-14 department than the US or Japan. Plus Ksensia. Interviews have said the girl is doing 3lutz/3toes in practice, and if she can start doing them in competition next year....
2. They have some talented pairs prospects with the possibility of V/T, Maria/Blanchard, K/S, and some of their young teams too. Plus, the fact that some of their girls are going to be moving to pairs.

3. They have several talented teams in dance. I/K, B/S both have the potential to be medal contendors soon, and they have other young talented teams as well.

4. Men is where I thinkt hey are struggling, but I think their young man who placed 3rd at Junior worlds is young and has potential.

Russia will probably never be as dominant as they were in Soviet times, but things ARE looking up for them.

Last edited:

Lucky Star

Final Flight
4. Men is where I thinkt hey are struggling, but I think their young man who placed 3rd at Junior worlds is young and has potential.

And also Artur Dmitriev who placed 7th and did 4T and two 3As in his FS. Rumors says that he also does 4S and 4Lo on practices.
Plus Artem Borodulin. And two young skaters, Artem Grigoriev and Ivan Bariev, both were injured this season but will be back

gmyers

Record Breaker
And also Artur Dmitriev who placed 7th and did 4T and two 3As in his FS. Rumors says that he also does 4S and 4Lo on practices.

It would be something if he did a free skate with a quad toe, quad loop and quad salchow! Based on what happened the past few years he would probably get beaten by someone with lots of triple jumps after the halfway point and of course level 4 spins and steps and really high PCS.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Well, as long as he doesn't fall on a 2A or have sketchy landings, he should be fine.

Yeah, and as long he also has an excellent choreography including transitions and shines on every skating area, he should be fine.

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Plus Artem Borodulin. And two young skaters, Artem Grigoriev and Ivan Bariev, both were injured this season but will be back

Anyone knows if Lutai is practicing for a comeback? Still with Mishin? He can compete at Russian nationals after his one year suspension if he wants to. Does the Russian federation support him? I mean, isn't/wasn't he a better skater than these above?

janetfan

Match Penalty
Anyone knows if Lutai is practicing for a comeback? Still with Mishin? He can compete at Russian nationals after his one year suspension if he wants to. Does the Russian federation support him? I mean, isn't/wasn't he a better skater than these above?

During his exile I heard that Lutai changed his hairstyle. That is what has him on the outs with his federation - and not the unfortunate Lake Placid incident ;)

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
During his exile I heard that Lutai changed his hairstyle. That is what has him on the outs with his federation - and not the unfortunate Lake Placid incident ;)

What? Did he have a crew cut? Whatever he did in Lake Placid I think his hair style was fine.

Lucky Star

Final Flight

Rumors says that he may represent Bulgaria next year (he married recently, his wife is Bulgarian ice dancer Ina Demireva), but he didn't decide yet and may continue to skate for Russia. And yes, he is still with Mishin.
Maybe he was a better skater, but Borodulin improved a lot and he is more consistant

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Rumors says that he may represent Bulgaria next year (he married recently, his wife is Bulgarian ice dancer Ina Demireva), but he didn't decide yet and may continue to skate for Russia. And yes, he is still with Mishin.
Maybe he was a better skater, but Borodulin improved a lot and he is more consistant

Maybe good for him to compete for Bulgaria, since Russia lost one spot for worlds because of Borodulins skate crash. Agree that Borodulin is one for the future though.

Also two guys to concider for the future; Elladj Balde(CAN) and Curran Oi (US) They were 8th and 5th in worlds junior 2009. (Both took a year off last season) Information about them?

gmyers

Record Breaker
I even think if Lutai skated for Russia in 2010-2011 and skated well he would not be sent to worlds because so much is on the line. I think no matter what it will probably be Borodulin with 2 pairs of skates.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Elisaveta, Agafonova, Murakami, Mirai, Song Nan, Hanyu, Amodio, Kozuka :)

Song Nan's a great choice. His 3A is gorgeous. Amodio, another great one. So much personality. Good skating skills as well. Hanyu is definitely another one to look out for.
What about Artur Gachinski, you guys? His jumps have gone awry these last two years, but he seems to be getting himself together. I remember that the Russians were very excited and already crowning him "the one" to succeed the Russian skating dynasty of Petrenko to Plushenko when he was only 10. His Russian Nat performance wasn't too shabby. His jumping technique looks fine. Once his conquers his growth spurt, what are his chances?

Lucky Star

Final Flight
Song Nan's a great choice. His 3A is gorgeous. Amodio, another great one. So much personality. Good skating skills as well. Hanyu is definitely another one to look out for.
What about Artur Gachinski, you guys? His jumps have gone awry these last two years, but he seems to be getting himself together. I remember that the Russians were very excited and already crowning him "the one" to succeed the Russian skating dynasty of Petrenko to Plushenko when he was only 10. His Russian Nat performance wasn't too shabby. His jumping technique looks fine. Once his conquers his growth spurt, what are his chances?

It's all about growth spurt. It was hard for him to be consistant when he became taller and taller every year and almost imossible to fix his jumps when his height changes. But now, when he almost grown, I think Mishin will work with him on his jumps and fix it, his technique is already good, he just needs some help. He is very talanted but still too young, I think we should see him next season and then talk about his chances

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Anna Ovcharova. That girl is special. If she can get better technique on her jumps to get them more consistent, she will be a force to be reckoned with, such musicality, line, and expression for a young girl. Also Ksenia Makarova - she has improved so much this season and is quite lovely. Sarah Hecken on the European stage, she has also made tremendous improvement this season and with harder jumps she will be a threat for European medals as early as next year.

gmyers

Record Breaker

It's all about growth spurt. It was hard for him to be consistant when he became taller and taller every year and almost imossible to fix his jumps when his height changes. But now, when he almost grown, I think Mishin will work with him on his jumps and fix it, his technique is already good, he just needs some help. He is very talanted but still too young, I think we should see him next season and then talk about his chances

Gachinski is the world junior bronze medalist. He landed a lot of jumps there. He turned his quad attempt to a double but that was it when it came to jump problems.

Lucky Star

Final Flight
Gachinski is the world junior bronze medalist. He landed a lot of jumps there. He turned his quad attempt to a double but that was it when it came to jump problems.

Yes, but it still can be better. He can get better GOE's for example ;)