Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Best hopes for the next 4 years (until sochi 2014)

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by dlgpffps View Post
    So much talent in Russia at the moment. I don't know who to root for, but my eyes and heart have been taken by Tuktamsysheva and Ovcharova. I haven't see such a promising talent as Tuktamsysheva since Mao
    I´ve been watching specially Russian junior skaters from YouTube a lot lately, trying to find new promises, since it seems that many of great skaters are going to retire these days, leaving empty rinks behind. I´ve seen that potential You mentioned, and they all will possibly become seniors about the same time.

I also wish to see Artem Borodulin´s younger brother, Sergey Borodulin to progress:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOlVSG390ik
    Last edited by Rhonya; 05-04-2010 at 11:32 PM.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    I totally forgot about Patrick Chan for this thread. I know his cockiness is annoying but he is SUCH a gorgeous skater. My big hope for him is that his jumping ability grows to match the astonishing quality of the rest of his skating.

Custom Title
    I really like Nina Jiang. She just turned 13 and shows a lot of promise, I know she only has 3 triples (loop, sal, toe) but she was 5th in the junior level at Nationals (3rd in the FS though ) and won Gardena Spring Trophy last month, finishing ahead of Yasmin Siraj (who is also one to watch in the future). I was impressed with Nina's poise and elegance at nationals, she was only 12 then and had such a beautiful presence on the ice. I think she may be one to watch in the future, hopefully we'll see her on the JGP in the coming season!

Custom Title
    The US has a lot of talent coming up through the novice ladies. This year at nationals the novice ladies were a much deeper field than the junior ladies (save Agnes). Leah Keiser, Ashley Cain, Katarina Kulgeyko, Gracie Gold, Courtney Hicks, and Polina Edmund are all very impressive. Leah and Gracie have very solid 3lz and 3f already! I hope a few of these girls get JGP assignments this season, they sure can handle it!

Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    The US has a lot of talent coming up through the novice ladies. This year at nationals the novice ladies were a much deeper field than the junior ladies (save Agnes). Leah Keiser, Ashley Cain, Katarina Kulgeyko, Gracie Gold, Courtney Hicks, and Polina Edmund are all very impressive. Leah and Gracie have very solid 3lz and 3f already! I hope a few of these girls get JGP assignments this season, they sure can handle it!
    Polina Edmund? I can't keep all of these Polina's straight

How many are there?

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Elisaveta, Agafonova, Murakami, Mirai, Song Nan, Hanyu, Amodio, Kozuka

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonya View Post
    I´ve been watching specially Russian junior skaters from YouTube a lot lately, trying to find new promises, since it seems that many of great skaters are going to retire these days, leaving empty rinks behind. I´ve seen that potential You mentioned, and they all will possibly become seniors about the same time.

I also wish to see Artem Borodulin´s younger brother, Sergey Borodulin to progress:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOlVSG390ik
    He has the same hair style as his brother. Maybe that is the look for guys his age in Russia.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Polina Edmund? I can't keep all of these Polina's straight

How many are there?
    This one is from the US though, there's only one competing for the US currently AFAIK. Russia....that's a different story.

Custom Title
    This one is from the US though, there's only one competing for the US currently AFAIK. Russia....that's a different story.
    Polina is one of the most popular names in Russia now, my mother is a teacher, and there are 10 girls in her class, 3 of them are Polinas

As for US juniors, I saw only Yasmin Siraj and can say that she is nice, but her technique is really strange, I've never seen a 3Lz like this, not sure that she will save her jumps for future

Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    He has the same hair style as his brother. Maybe that is the look for guys his age in Russia.
    That is the look for skaters in Russia (don't really know why), fortunately not for all guys
    Last edited by Lucky Star; 05-08-2010 at 01:28 AM.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
    That is the look for skaters in Russia (don't really know why), fortunately not for all guys
    Maybe all of them are using the same hairdresser as Plushenko ..?
    Although I think they are cute.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Maybe russian skating federation provides one hairdresser for all.

I forgot Dimitriev's son, he had a good season. And also the young boy who is trained with urmanov?

Custom Title
    Polina is one of the most popular names in Russia now, my mother is a teacher, and there are 10 girls in her class, 3 of them are Polinas

As for US juniors, I saw only Yasmin Siraj and can say that she is nice, but her technique is really strange, I've never seen a 3Lz like this, not sure that she will save her jumps for future

I know Yassi struggles with the 3lz a bit and has a strange takeoff for the 3sal, but her 3f, 3lo, and 3t appear really secure and normal looking. For her it's not just all about jumps either, she is a good spinner, flexible, fast, and has a great presence on the ice.

Custom Title

LOL you are right-I did a quick youtube search of every Russian skater I know of and like 90% of them have that haircut. I just saw the resemblence in the Borodulin brothers but didn't really notice a lot of hairstyles.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Maybe russian skating federation provides one hairdresser for all.

I forgot Dimitriev's son, he had a good season. And also the young boy who is trained with urmanov?
    Russia needs to invest in better coaches. There are way too many good junior ladies right now and if they all disappear after puberty due to bad jump technique it will just be so sad.

I think Ovcharova and Agafonova should get shipped abroad ASAP and find better jump coaches, those two girls are awesome, but both have rather scary technique. They were two of the most pleasant surprises this season and both girls have "it" and loads of potential. With better jump technique, they could take on Mao Asada in a few years. However, if they stay in Russia I'm just a afraid the technique won't get fixed. I can only imagine what a coach like Orser or Artunian could do with either girl. Polina has amazingg spins and Anna is so musical and the queen of transitions. I say we all pitch in and send them abroad so that come Sochi those two can kick butt .

Custom Title
    I wouldn't get too excited re novice level ladies as they all must go thru puberty and we all know what can happen after that. If you look at the history of novice ladies champions, there are very few who have gone on to achieve senior accomplishments. Only Rachael Flatt, Kimmie Meissner in the past 13 years made an impact. Naomi Nari Nam almost made it (2007) but her hip injury eventually ended her career. Can't say much about Baga 2009, Secundy 2008 or Maxwell 2007, who were all touted to be the next big thing. So far it's still a waiting game for those past three novice champions, to see if any of them wil succeed at the senior level. Too soon to say anything re the current novice crop. Re: Polina Edmund and Jere Longman's interview with Polina and her mom and it seemed to me that mom was more motivated to have Polina continue skating.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast