Results 1 to 15 of 419

Thread: Major Changes Expected in Single Skating in 2010-2011

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,819

    Post Major Changes Expected in Single Skating in 2010-2011

    This is just in this morning, I am still in shock re: a number of changes that are being proposed. There are so many changes, even I haven't been able to digest all of it. But I thought some of you would be extremely interested to know a few major ones that are coming up, especially if you are a Mao or Yu Na fan.

    - Ladies will now be allowed to do a Triple Axel in lieu of a Double Axel in the SHORT PROGRAM

    I certainly didn't see this coming, as do many other observers.

    In addition, the SP will now consist of 7 required elements, as opposed to 8. Men will be doing only 1 step sequence instead of two. Spiral Sequence will now be removed as a required element for ladies in the SP but will be considered as part of transitions if executed. This change will presumably increase the weight of jumps overall, favoring someone like Brian Joubert for example whose relative poor step sequences hold him back against Chan or Takahashi.

    Separate proposal is being made to give a 10% bonus base value for jumps done in a jump combination. For example, Triple Lutz + Triple Toe has a Base Value of 6 + 4 = 10. Under the new proposal, it will now receive a 10% bonus for a total base value of 11, prior to the application of GOE.

    Another big change is that men will now be allowed to try two different types of Quads in the SP. Previously, if a skater did, say a Quad Salchow + Triple Toe as a jump combo, he will not be able to do another Quad as a solo jump, even if that Quad is not a Salchow. The proposed change will now allow the said skater to do another Quad as a solo jump provided that it is a different type of Quad. This change will likely push men who are able and willing to include two Quads in the SP. Such change will greatly favor men like Kevin Reynolds who consistently lands two different types of Quads, he will be delighted by this kind of change. But I expect more men will now try to do another Quad other than the Toe Loop as well, this is potentially huge for men.

    - No change to the number of elements performed or maximum allowed in the Free Skate but the second Step Sequence for Men will now receive a fixed base value ( ), same goes for the Spiral Sequence in the Free Skate for Ladies

    - Spiral Sequence (Ladies) in the FS will now have an All or Nothing clause if the requirement is not fully met

    This can be potentially be quite serious and scary IMO because it used to be you will still get some points even if the element is downgraded, but someone like Mirai Nagasu who has had trouble meeting all the requirements in her Spiral could see that element be given a zero for instance.

    - Double Axel can only be performed a maximum of two times in the Free Skate, as opposed to three

    This last change will hurt someone like Yu-Na Kim the most, who heavily relies on three Double Axels to compensate for the lack of a Triple Loop.

    - Moves in the field will now be given extra attention in order to reward transitions

    Honestly, a vague clause like this will continued to be ignored in practice and someone like Plushenko will continue to receive outrageous transition marks inconsistent with his level of skating

    There will also be a cap on the number of actual entries into the World Championships and all skaters must meet a minimum total score internationally in order to be eligible to enter into the Worlds by their federation. Qualifying Round for certain lower rank skaters will be re-introduced so that top skaters will not have to qualify like before.

    There is a lot of changes, I am summarizing the major highlights to give you guys a heads up.

  2. #2
    Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,788
    Urk! Some of this could be terrifying..no? Just on the face of it, wouldn't you think it will be fairly splat inducing ?

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,819
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen o'neill View Post
    Urk! Some of this could be terrifying..no? Just on the face of it, wouldn't you think it will be fairly splat inducing ?
    I am troubled by the Triple Axel in Ladies SP proposal. This move is inconsistent with the history of this sport. Such change is generally not introduced until the said skill becomes fairly standard among world level competitors. To me, this decision is driven by the need of $ and marketing where the sport is currently heavily dependent on Asia for its revenue, at the expense of many other considerations, including the well-being of skaters.

  4. #4
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    69
    So the rumor was true. Who proposed all these?

  5. #5
    Custom Title skatemom1122's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    504
    I like all of the changes. 3A option as the axel jump will put Mao on par with Yu-na if she hits hit. Two quads in the short should be exciting and Reynolds will certainly benefit from this ! Most of all I like the third change. There were just two many entries this year at Worlds, half the skaters in first two groups could not even land a clean double axel. I'm sorry, but to be able to skate at worlds, one must be able to execute that jump. Unfortunately, it does hurt skaters like Clara Peters, who will likely only be able to skate Euros until she, or if she, develops triple jumps.

  6. #6
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Thanks for the report Wally. It is alot to digest........

    I wuz wondering - anything proposed about URs or other technical aspects of jumps?

    ETA: Are the rule changes you listed such as the 3A just proposals - and not adopted yet?

    Seems to me if that rule came to a vote alot of money would need to be flying around to get it passed.
    With only one Lady currently attempting this jump it seems as you mentioned it's time has not come yet.
    Last edited by janetfan; 04-30-2010 at 03:19 PM.

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    670
    The new Short Dance is still as vague as ever...


    I gotta digest all of this better, but right now I'll say I so hope the proposal for vocal music in Singles and Pairs gets aproved..

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    852
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Thanks for the report Wally. It is alot to digest........

    I wuz wondering - anything proposed about URs or other technical aspects of jumps?

    ETA: Are the rule changes you listed such as the 3A just proposals - and not adopted yet?

    Seems to me if that rule came to a vote alot of money would need to be flying around to get it passed.
    With only one Lady currently attempting this jump it seems as you mentioned it's time has not come yet.
    So are you and Wallylutz implying that the Japanese federation are going to be bribing the ISU with money?

  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    830
    wallylutz, thank you for your summary above. Some of these proposals are indeed shocking. Based on your experience, do you think the ones you listed above will all be passed? Is it pretty much a done deal?

  10. #10
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,244
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    This is just in this morning, I am still in shock re: a number of changes that are being proposed. There are so many changes, even I haven't been able to digest all of it. But I thought some of you would be extremely interested to know a few major ones that are coming up, especially if you are a Mao or Yu Na fan.

    - Ladies will now be allowed to do a Triple Axel in lieu of a Double Axel in the SHORT PROGRAM

    I certainly didn't see this coming, as do many other observers.

    In addition, the SP will now consist of 7 required elements, as opposed to 8. Men will be doing only 1 step sequence instead of two. Spiral Sequence will now be removed as a required element for ladies in the SP but will be considered as part of transitions if executed. This change will presumably increase the weight of jumps overall, favoring someone like Brian Joubert for example whose relative poor step sequences hold him back against Chan or Takahashi.

    Separate proposal is being made to give a 10% bonus base value for jumps done in a jump combination. For example, Triple Lutz + Triple Toe has a Base Value of 6 + 4 = 10. Under the new proposal, it will now receive a 10% bonus for a total base value of 11, prior to the application of GOE.

    Another big change is that men will now be allowed to try two different types of Quads in the SP. Previously, if a skater did, say a Quad Salchow + Triple Toe as a jump combo, he will not be able to do another Quad as a solo jump, even if that Quad is not a Salchow. The proposed change will now allow the said skater to do another Quad as a solo jump provided that it is a different type of Quad. This change will likely push men who are able and willing to include two Quads in the SP. Such change will greatly favor men like Kevin Reynolds who consistently lands two different types of Quads, he will be delighted by this kind of change. But I expect more men will now try to do another Quad other than the Toe Loop as well, this is potentially huge for men.

    - No change to the number of elements performed or maximum allowed in the Free Skate but the second Step Sequence for Men will now receive a fixed base value ( ), same goes for the Spiral Sequence in the Free Skate for Ladies

    - Spiral Sequence (Ladies) in the FS will now have an All or Nothing clause if the requirement is not fully met

    This can be potentially be quite serious and scary IMO because it used to be you will still get some points even if the element is downgraded, but someone like Mirai Nagasu who has had trouble meeting all the requirements in her Spiral could see that element be given a zero for instance.

    - Double Axel can only be performed a maximum of two times in the Free Skate, as opposed to three

    This last change will hurt someone like Yu-Na Kim the most, who heavily relies on three Double Axels to compensate for the lack of a Triple Loop.

    - Moves in the field will now be given extra attention in order to reward transitions

    Honestly, a vague clause like this will continued to be ignored in practice and someone like Plushenko will continue to receive outrageous transition marks inconsistent with his level of skating

    There will also be a cap on the number of actual entries into the World Championships and all skaters must meet a minimum total score internationally in order to be eligible to enter into the Worlds by their federation. Qualifying Round for certain lower rank skaters will be re-introduced so that top skaters will not have to qualify like before.

    There is a lot of changes, I am summarizing the major highlights to give you guys a heads up.
    I have mixed feelings on the cap idea on the World Championships. I do think 55 entries (for the ladies) for 2010 without any qualifying round was WAY too many. But on the other hand, it would hurt poorer federations or less politically influential federations because how would their skaters build up the points internationally to compete at Worlds? For many of those skaters Worlds is the only chance they get.

  11. #11
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,819
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I have mixed feelings on the cap idea on the World Championships. I do think 55 entries (for the ladies) for 2010 without any qualifying round was WAY too many. But on the other hand, it would hurt poorer federations or less politically influential federations because how would their skaters build up the points internationally to compete at Worlds? For many of those skaters Worlds is the only chance they get.
    The ISU gave a fairly reasonable justification as to why they need to institute a cap. The reason is primarily financial and the cost for the hosting Member (of the World Championship) is out of control as a result. Besides, the rule change called for an eligible international competition in the last 24 months. Most of these lower rank skaters at least go to the Europeans or the Four Continents, even if they don't do anything else. Besides, the total minimum score required is set at a very low bar. I believe it is 30 in the SP and 50 in the LP for Ladies. The bar is set so low that a lady would have to pretty much score PCS in the 3s and falling on doubles in order to flank this minimum bar. Plus, from a marketing standpoint, it just doesn't make sense to put the TV audience ZZZZZZZZZZZ through some two dozen skaters who can barely stand on one foot. It really is a rating killer and the amount of cost incurred by hosting member to house and feed them is quite high. I suggest you read the justification written by the ISU, it is quite well reasoned.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •