Major Changes Expected in Single Skating in 2010-2011 | Page 21 | Golden Skate

Major Changes Expected in Single Skating in 2010-2011

Whatever happened to the Major Changes discussion? Should we just change the Forum to a Mao/Yuna Debate? It's in every topic. :sheesh:

oooo, that was snarky of me. :cool:

Basics

On the Ice
Whatever happened to the Major Changes discussion? Should we just change the Forum to a Mao/Yuna Debate? It's in every topic. :sheesh:

oooo, that was snarky of me. :cool:

Cuz, some refer these major changes as "Mao rule". :laugh:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Maybe a little bit snarky, but I have deleted the YuNa vs Mao items from public view. Not only is this is the wrong thread for them.-they kept straying into smearing of different cultures, requiring a lot of moderation.

For those wanting to speculate on cultural norms of different ethnic groups/cultures, please take those to the Politics forum. Feel free to start a thread there.

Please continue with discussion of the ISU changes!

Have you ever watched a compulsory event? That is basically what you are suggesting for the SP. It's like watching paint dry. If the SP became in essence a compulsory event, it would go the way of figures/CD.
That's my argument. It takes away from the Sport, and I'm on the losing side of this debate. Frankly, I just don't give a damn about artistry. For many many years Figure Skating was School Figures and Free Skating. There was no problem. Unfortunatley forBrian Orser et al like him the School Figures won the competition and he with the better artistry had to swallow that. We could now adjust to this situation since the School Figures have been eliminated we could replace it with a show-your-prowess by having a grand Technical competition. No need for the background music so often used in the SPs. But, the free skate should have music for interpretation as a separate but important entity to the final score. Just my suggestion, and I bet you would be keely interested to see those 3x3s, 3As, and Quads being in judged on thei own merits in a separate Tech Comp, and then scored together with the LP How boring is that?
Some of us do not need an artistry fix which will be covered very importantly in the Free Skate as it was in the days of School Figures.

BTW, I do watch Ice Dance except for the Viennese Waltz, and love it.

Last edited:

brownfox

On the Ice
Well great, maybe the new rule will push her out of her comfort zone and do the 3a. So the potential new rule is not intended just for Mao, why am I not surprise?

You're kidding right? That was the time Yuna didn't have any issues with her back and hip. Now, who knows.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
In the 2007-2008 season, the then new rule started to penalize flutz and underrotation a lot more. Mao was at the short end of the stick then. Now, she has a bit more advantage, who cares. It's not like she does 3T for 3A value. She has to do a 3A in the short program to get 3A value. I don't understand why people are so worked up over this. If she can do 3A, she should get points for doing 3A. WTH.

janetfan

Match Penalty
In the 2007-2008 season, the then new rule started to penalize flutz and underrotation a lot more. Mao was at the short end of the stick then. Now, she has a bit more advantage, who cares. It's not like she does 3T for 3A value. She has to do a 3A in the short program to get 3A value. I don't understand why people are so worked up over this. If she can do 3A, she should get points for doing 3A. WTH.

I have argued against this rule (more for perceived politics) but you put it in a a perspective that makes sense.
You are absolutely right that Mao's performances were effected when the edge and UR rules got stricter. Some might say she is still trying to adapt to them.

Maybe this new axel rule will get more Ladies pushing the envelope. We will have to wait and see how it developes over the next few seasons.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Additional ISU communication with more changes for singles/pairs:

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/page/directory/0,10853,4844-130127-131435-nav-list,00.html

Are they a done deal, suggested by the fact that this is a separate ISU communication from the congress proposals?

Or do they need to be voted on, suggested by the phrase "the following language would be recommended"?

Here's the intermediate rotation proposal. Works for me.

Additional feature for step sequences -- half the sequence on one foot. About time!

Removal of some features for spins -- both directions only counts in camel or sit position. Edge change only counts in camel or forward sit.

There go my chances of ever getting level 3 on a spin. Not that I'll probably ever compete under IJS.

rtureck

Final Flight

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/page/directory/0,10853,4844-130127-131435-nav-list,00.html

Removal of some features for spins -- both directions only counts in camel or sit position. Edge change only counts in camel or forward sit.

There go my chances of ever getting level 3 on a spin. Not that I'll probably ever compete under IJS.

Besides camel and sit spins what other spins do prs usullly do?

rtureck

Final Flight
Many skaters change edge in upright spin. I believe I've also seen Fumie perform a change-edge layback.

Thanks,I just thinking about pairs side by side spins, they usually do camel and sit. So do the new rules really impact the pairs tht much?

miki88

Medalist
Finally! These are the changes that I have been waiting for. I really like these new rules on downgrades and rescaling of all the jumps. Out of all the new changes, I think these are the ones that will affect most skaters. I am hoping this get passed. :)

Wrlmy

Medalist
Thanks,I just thinking about pairs side by side spins, they usually do camel and sit. So do the new rules really impact the pairs tht much?

Maybe not as much as singles, but it definitely reduces options. I'm not too fond of this change edge feature to begin with, but it's nothing short of amazing how ISU comes up with multitude of ideas to micromanage the aspects of performance every single year.

Good grief, here is the whole ball of wax. Jumps under-rotated by 1/4 to 1/2 revolution receive 70% of base value. Jumps under-rotated by 1/2 revolutioon are downgraded.

Base value of triple Axel goes up to 8.5 (from 8.2). Base value of quad toe goes up to 10.3 (from 9.8). Double Axel goes down to 3.3 (from 3.5)

I think this needs a new thread.

rtureck

Final Flight
Maybe not as much as singles, but it definitely reduces options. I'm not too fond of this change edge feature to begin with, but it's nothing short of amazing how ISU comes up with multitude of ideas to micromanage the aspects of performance every single year.

I agree with the micromanaging part. I think the new spin rules has less impact on pairs. So under new spin rules which single skaters will be impact most?

Figure88

On the Ice

Are they a done deal, suggested by the fact that this is a separate ISU communication from the congress proposals?

Or do they need to be voted on, suggested by the phrase "the following language would be recommended"?

I'm far from the expert, but at a glance, they don't seem like finalized rules to me. First, shouldn't a title for a finalized rule be something like "Rule 1611" rather than "Communication 1611"? Also, it's being presented with other documents, informing of someone's death or minutes of a meeting. They look like internal memos to circulate information. But then, there's the phrase "language recommended for the new rules" suggests that there are new rules going into effect?? So confusing, I'm not sure.

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
I'm far from the expert, but at a glance, they don't seem like finalized rules to me. First, shouldn't a title for a finalized rule be something like "Rule 1611" rather than "Communication 1611"?

ISU communications are official documents that the ISU puts out to communicate with the member federations and other interested parties. They generally have the force of rules. Most tweaks to the scale of values, level definitions, etc., that occur each year are promulgated in ISU communications. See, e.g., ISU communication 1505 from last year, ISU comm. 1494, etc.

But those don't start out saying that the language is recommended -- they just go ahead and announce the changes. So that's why I'm confused -- are these only recommendations or are these changes already official? (And if so when is the effective date?)

Figure88

On the Ice
ISU communications are official documents that the ISU puts out to communicate with the member federations and other interested parties. They generally have the force of rules. Most tweaks to the scale of values, level definitions, etc., that occur each year are promulgated in ISU communications. See, e.g., ISU communication 1505 from last year, ISU comm. 1494, etc.

Thank you.

Last edited: