Johnny Weir article - very outspoken | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir article - very outspoken

Taan

On the Ice
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/04/30/skater-johnny-weir-on-fashion-rivals-and-lady-gaga/

about Stars on Ice -
"I wouldn’t participate in “Stars on Ice” if I were asked. I find it an amateurish tour in a way, the production quality. That’s why I’m trying to do my own show and do something new."

about Evan - " ...I think in general he’s a very jealous person and a very two faced person. He’s the kind of person who will rehearse what he’s going to say in an interview two weeks in advance.

He’s probably very jealous that despite the fact he’s an Olympic champion he’s on “Dancing with the Stars” and I’m writing a book and recording a song. I’m crossing over to be a personality."

he's not what I would call a good sportsman. Apparently Johnny is doing the "All About Me" routine, and unnecessarily blasting Stars on Ice, and Evan which imo, shows his jealousy. We should all not forget that Johnny is crossing over to be a peronality - whatever that means? My question: Was that his goal when he took up Figure Skating or was it developed after not becoming an Olympic Champion which I believe was why he took up the Sport in the first place.

He is suffering from delusions of grandeur but he has the foresight to see he will never win any Oly gold. So his Plan B becomes a Jack-of-All Trades outside of skating.

How sad this is for me, who found him the most potential young skater back in 2001 Nationals. JMO.

I always cringe when I hear someone speak like this. It makes the person sound small and spiteful. Whatever has come between Johnny and Evan (if anything, or if this is in Weir's own mind), there's no call to speak like this for the public forum. Also, right now his statements bring to mind Evan's self-possessed, articulate, and dignified response to Plushenko's sniping at the Olympics--and Johnny suffers by the comparison. (He even suffers by comparison to Plushenko in this case! At least Plushy had cause for being a bit unsuitably emotional, because he had just lost the gold by mere inches.)

Why does this kind of nastiness always get classified as "honest" and "straightforward"? It gives honesty a bad name.

I love that Johnny thinks that Evan's jealous because "I'm recording a song." Do you think Evan fancies himself a singer? I'm getting to like Evan more and more.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
This Johnny and Evan thing is like beating a dead horse. Enough already.

stage

Spectator
Yeah, I'm sure that Evan is so jealous of Johnny. Evan has nothing going for him except an Olympic gold medal, a world championship, two US. titles, among other skating accomplishments. And sponsors. A headliner spot on Stars On Ice. A gig on Dancing With The Stars, a show that is #1 most of the time in the TV ratings. At least a couple of TV skating shows coming up, and probably more. I don't think that Evan has the time right now to record a song and write a book (if he really wanted to).

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
This is getting very old. We all know Johnny's 15 min of fame will fade soon, but I am tired of waiting. If arguing with Evan is the only thing that make Johnny interesting or relevant he must realize how unimportant he is.

ranjake

Final Flight
Johnny CAN'T sing; he actually said that before the Olympics, so why he's recording a song I DON'T get. But I guess if it's a cute lyric, they can doctor anyone's voice enough these days. I think he is a great personality, and I'm looking forward to his book. But THIS is just plain stupid. Evan was pissed about Chesea Lately, retaliated, and then graciously apologized. Evan stated recently that he and Johnny have had approximately 3 conversations and they don't know each other well. Johnny insists on not being put in a sexuality 'box'? But will help insinuate Evan into one? I actually think Johnny has the greater potential to be a lasting 'personality'. But why the Evan fixation? They are SO different. I really hope Johnny keeps a little likability with his divaness.

lavender

Record Breaker
This whole thing is tiring. Not of fan of either anymore but I agree that SOI isn't as polished anymore. I also don't blame Johnny for being annoyed. Johnny is one of the top skaters and he is elite. Evan was wrong for going there but I wish Johnny would have skipped this article because it only makes him look jealous.

Last edited:

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Twitter was all-atweet most of the week first with tweets about Evan implying Johnny just isn't good enough for SOI ("SOI only hires the best") then later in the week it was Johnny's replies as noted above. Wish Johnny hadn't gone there at all, very poor taste, but I think Evan's remarks were also poor taste. That's pretty harsh, saying Johnny's not "good enough" given the technical skills of much of the longtime cast members who may be pleasant skaters but don't have "better" skills or the "best" compared to Johnny. Then "Evan Lysacek says why he insulted Weir" went around. Both Johnny and Evan need to move on from each other!

Taan

On the Ice
Weir declares 'war' after Lysacek insults his talent

Figure skater Johnny Weir declares 'war' after Evan Lysacek insults his talent
http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2...ar_after_evan_lysacek_insults_his_talent.html
He continued the mudslinging on Thursday when he told People, "I've never whined. I wasn't the one who falls dancing and gets a concussion and breaks toes and has hip replacement surgeries. If anyone whines, it's definitely Evan. He's done that his whole career, and I've never said anything about it just because there was no need."

"I have no respect for Evan Lysacek," added Weir, who is opening the new season for Ice Theatre of New York at Chelsea Piers.

princess9

On the Ice
Wow, J is really digging himself a pit. I can see why he feels he's the Rodney Dangerfield of skating but he's really hurting himself. SOI will never, ever hire him now. And I'd rather see him skate than Evan. His skating is so beautiful. Still, FS needs drama and controversy and JW does indeed provide it. I do think he will regret most of these comments, sooner or later. Too bad!

Wrlmy

Medalist
This is just getting embarassing. Calling SOI amateurish production after causing all those mess? Calling others names? Every now and then, you need to know when to take the high road and show modicum of social decorum. Not being able to do so doesn't mean you're a maverick. It is a sign of sociopath.