Johnny Weir article - very outspoken | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir article - very outspoken

princess9

On the Ice
LOL. JW hardly qualifies as a sociopath! Let's not start giving him psychiatric labels coz he's outspoken, proud and obviouusly hurt and angry that SOI did not sign him. He prolly really believes its the orientation thing when it's only really known to IMG EXACTLY the reasons he was not signed. A sociopath by definition, I think has no real feelings or empathy for others and JW does not fit that description. To be called lacking in talent must really hurt. I'm surprised at the usually PC Evan! He rarely says anything like this at all. He must be justifiably angry at JW for his winking behavior on Chelsea Lately. This was wrong of JW and I think he's making some real enemies.

I like Allissa, but JW must look at that choice and say " why her and not me? ":laugh: She's a lovely skater but I don't think she has a fan base. Well, they are keeping it real, those 2 boys, fer sure!

Bennett

Record Breaker
Twitter was all-atweet most of the week first with tweets about Evan implying Johnny just isn't good enough for SOI ("SOI only hires the best") then later in the week it was Johnny's replies as noted above. Wish Johnny hadn't gone there at all, very poor taste, but I think Evan's remarks were also poor taste. That's pretty harsh, saying Johnny's not "good enough" given the technical skills of much of the longtime cast members who may be pleasant skaters but don't have "better" skills or the "best" compared to Johnny. Then "Evan Lysacek says why he insulted Weir" went around. Both Johnny and Evan need to move on from each other!
Thanks for your explanations.

janetfan

Match Penalty
This is just getting embarassing. Calling SOI amateurish production after causing all those mess? Calling others names? Every now and then, you need to know when to take the high road and show modicum of social decorum. Not being able to do so doesn't mean you're a maverick. It is a sign of sociopath.

I agree that Weir has reached a new level of phoniness I didn't think was possible even for him.
After months of politicking and then whining about not being part of SOI he now declares he is too good to skate with them.

Does Weir have an agent or advisor? He needs help and the fact that he has now felt it necessary to publicly "declare war on Evan" would be laughable if it wasn't so pitiful.

It is sad to see Weir give up the goodwill he justly earned in Vancouver with such demented, ill-conceived outbursts.

I hope Evan - who really knows how to push Weir's buttons - will not respond and move on. I see no reason for Evan to drag himslef down to the cesspool of bitterness and jealousy that has become Weir's world. (I bet that won't win any "best sentence awards" from mm) ;)

Please Evan, ignore this socio and remember you are the Olympic champion. Please live up to your medal and remember you are the headliner for SOI and the one on DWTS. More negative comments from Evan will incur equal disgust from me.

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice
I think Johnny is trying to create a drama in the not so popular men's figure skating. By doing this, he may think that the more people may get interested in this sports. Mao and Yuna rivalry brought so many people into this sports. Why not Evan and Johnny rivalry? I do not know if it works or not, though.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Does Weir have an agent or advisor? He needs help and the fact that he has now felt it necessary to publicly "declare war on Evan" would be laughable if it wasn't so pitiful.

it wouldn't matter, as his diva-esque "reality show" proved - he doesn't listen to everyone.

rtureck

Final Flight
oouch, I love JW's skating. It seemed yesterday that he was a junior skater and publicly stating Michelle is her role model. Sigh.. JW learn from MK then

stevlin

On the Ice
If Johnny can sing, well maybe he could turn to American Idol. Has anyone heard him sing?

Yes I heard him sing. OK but at times he goes way off key. I've heard worse but Johnny will never make it as a singer.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Ah, trash talking eh? Why is it ok in other sports but not skating? :laugh:

Heck, knowing society these days, if this feud goes mainstream, it may get more people interested in watching. Especially fresh off the Olympics.

(I did think the bit about SOI was out of line, however- not a good idea to burn bridges like that, especially since his potential show's success isn't guaranteed)

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
he burned bridges with SOI well before this, judging by comments made by other skaters over this whole feud. To be honest, I think Johnny's controversial label was what did him in. 'lifestyle' or not, I don't think that was a deciding factor. Maybe his over the top reality show and his off the wall comments in the media, but not the idea that he isn't 'traditional'. The fact that he can't play nice and meld into their already established family is my reasoning as to why he's not on.

wonder what his good friends Tanith and Sasha think of his comments about the cast and show.

gmyers

Record Breaker
It was strange that Lysacek called Weir a bad skater. That SOI wont hire Weir because he is some kind of skating trash. That went far beyond anything Weir has ever said.

R.D.

Record Breaker
he burned bridges with SOI well before this, judging by comments made by other skaters over this whole feud. To be honest, I think Johnny's controversial label was what did him in. 'lifestyle' or not, I don't think that was a deciding factor. Maybe his over the top reality show and his off the wall comments in the media, but not the idea that he isn't 'traditional'. The fact that he can't play nice and meld into their already established family is my reasoning as to why he's not on.

Yeah. I think another big thing is promotion. You see cast members like Cohen, Weiss, etc. get on news programs and advertise the show, say a bunch of good old PR things about it, etc. to get people to come and see the show. I take it Weir wouldn't do that...he likes being "honest".

Anyway, I figured he already knows he's not going to be on SOI ever, so he feels free to declare open season on them.

HALF-JOKING

Hey, Skating fans should actually be encouraging this feud to continue, since it might translate to juicy tabloid news, which could translate to a story for FS on TV, which = potentially more viewers = more sponsorships = more skating on TV. :biggrin:

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty

The tears would have flowed for a 5.8 :)

To gmyers:

I agree with you. But Evan was responding to Johnny though....and he did make a nice and decent sounding apology and even berated himself for what he said. Another person might have accepted Evan's apology or atleast had a classier comeback.

I really don't follow figure skating gossip. Can any of these quotes be documented? At least it didn't become physical as with thoser two US Ladies.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
joe there are several articles on the feud in teh last couple of days (the ones by Johnny Weir are linked) he also went on several talk shows to talk about it...

but yeah, for someone who 'doesn't care what others think' he sure acts like it ;)

Toni, what little I know about it, it does seem like something I ignore. I'd rather talk about their skating and Evan's new found talent of dancing.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I've only followed it due to the threads here... I don't know who started it, I don't care to know, I have my own opinions on each and right now I'm just overly annoyed with both of them reverting back to their teenage mentalities. They're 25/26 years old, they need to start showing it a bit more.

tilak

On the Ice
It was strange that Lysacek called Weir a bad skater. That SOI wont hire Weir because he is some kind of skating trash. That went far beyond anything Weir has ever said.
I have to fully agree with this. :indiff: