What is Rudy Galindo up to? | Golden Skate

What is Rudy Galindo up to?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Watching all of these old skating tapes, I'm really starting to miss some of the personalities on ice that we had in the 90s and EARLY 00s... even those that I used to not like, I miss! :laugh:

anyone know what Rudy's up to these days?

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Haha, I don't know but his YMCA program was really funny! I loved it!

I think he took it too far though when he skated to a song called I'm A Transexual, Look At Me (or something along those lines) in some tv special (Elvis or Kurt's?) in like 2003.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
well, Rudy hasn't skated in one of Kurt's shows AFAIK... and I don't remember that program :laugh:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Watching all of these old skating tapes, I'm really starting to miss some of the personalities on ice that we had in the 90s and EARLY 00s... even those that I used to not like, I miss! :laugh:

I have no idea what Rudy is doing these days but your comment about missing skaters - even one's we used to not like - made me realize how much I miss Irina.

I like and admire Irina but back in the day - well I always was for Michelle or Sasha.
I heard a while ago Irina is married, had a baby and still performs in ice shows.

Good luck always to Irina and she is part of my memories whenever I think of Michelle and Sasha.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I heard a while ago Irina is married, had a baby and still performs in ice shows.

she was married well before her health issues or her retirement, you just didn't pay attention ;) :laugh:

Is he coachig now maybe? I found this article dated october, 2009.
http://articles.sfgate.com/2009-10-23/entertainment/17186784_1_skater-nails-coach

that article has some fact checking errors... when did Rudy win his other four National titles? ;)

ETA - oh, yeah, pairs... nevermind *facepalm*

princess9

On the Ice
Did Galindo ever skate with SOI? I think not. Gee, he was so entertaining. I wonder if he was deemed "not family friendly." YMCA was one of my favorite show programs.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Did Galindo ever skate with SOI? I think not. Gee, he was so entertaining. I wonder if he was deemed "not family friendly." YMCA was one of my favorite show programs.

OMG I'm so sick of this blast SOI for family friendly stuff. No, he did not skate in SOI he skated in COI. He was not represented by IMG he was represented by Tom Collins IIRC. Tommy's skaters skated in COI, IMG's skaters skate in SOI. It's that simple.

Wicked

Final Flight
Really enjoy Rudy and his skating. I had read that he was a coach now. Good for him. He looks happy.

princess9

On the Ice
OMG I'm so sick of this blast SOI for family friendly stuff. No, he did not skate in SOI he skated in COI. He was not represented by IMG he was represented by Tom Collins IIRC. Tommy's skaters skated in COI, IMG's skaters skate in SOI. It's that simple.

It was a question given the other thread. I'm not "blasting" SOI.

Rudy was the guts and glue of the Collins crew, the sugar and spice of Champs on Ice.

Olympic medalists came and went, but Rudy, along with Surya Bonaly, Victor Petrenko, the acrobats and the hula hoop girl -- they were the spine that held the show together and gave it continuity from one season to another.

One year Rudy told Tom Collins he wasn't going to do YMCA that season, but had prepared another program instead. Collins would have none of it. Give the people what they came for!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Olympic medalists came and went, but Rudy, along with Surya Bonaly, Victor Petrenko, the acrobats and the hula hoop girl -- they were the spine that held the show together and gave it continuity from one season to another.

!

the way that thought reads, you aren't giving Petrenko his due. He's an Olympic Champion.

and I think Boitano, also, got a slight with that idea. If anyone was the backbone of that show...

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Toni, I am so happy that you're enjoying the tapes. Toni was my little angel and took several of my tapes off my hands that I have listed in the multimedia section here.

When I went to COI there was a bunch of women that would yell and scream when Rudy came onto the ice. He came out wearing a big fur coat and we all knew that was coming off. Those women just loved him. There isn't a male skater that comes close to doing the Galindo spin like Rudy. If you want to see beautiful skating watch 1996 Nationals.

I'm glad he's coaching. I love this comment.

"He sews all the beads on my costume," said Allison Mai, 12, of San Jose.