Thread: Domnina/Shabalin

Hybrid View

Rinkside

Domnina/Shabalin retiring?

I'm not much of a poster here, but is it true that Domnina/Shabalin retired? I keep reading from people here that they did but I've seen no official confirmation. Can anyone verify it?
    Last edited by dom_shafan; 05-05-2010 at 11:31 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dom_shafan View Post
    I'm not much of a poster here, but is it true that Domnina/Shabalin retired? I keep reading from people here that they did but I've seen no official confirmation. Can anyone verify it?
    It's not official yet, but there's no chance for them to continue, unfortunately ((( People can't even walk with injury that Maksim has and 3 surgeries didn't really help him

Medalist
    The only "official" information I remeber is that they are taking a season off. But as Lucky Star said, people can't even walk with the injury Maxim has, so the chance for their return after a year is close to zero.

Rinkside
    I see. I know he's been battling injury for a few seasons now, but I didn't know if they were going to remain skating together. Thanks for the heads up.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    does anyone think she will skate with another partner after he retires? She is 25, but that is not that old in ice dance, considering they were not really contenders in Torino, they have not been on the world stage all that long.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    does anyone think she will skate with another partner after he retires? She is 25, but that is not that old in ice dance, considering they were not really contenders in Torino, they have not been on the world stage all that long.
    Chances for Oksana to find a suitable partner are extremely slim, there are not many quality ice dancers searching for partners to begin with, and her height makes it a lot more challenging. I personally think she is done,

Custom Title
    How about Deividas Stagniunas (LTU)? Katherine Copely has retired from skating.

However, I don't think he would be willing to skate for Russia, and even if Russia would release Oksana to compete for Lithuania, there would be little chance of them making it to Sochi, since it's very difficult to obtain Lithuanian citizenship (LTU doesn't recognize dual citizenship and Oksana would have to renounce her Russian citizenship).