Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Domnina/Shabalin

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    ostile, Thank you for clarifying that. I pray to hear soon that Maxim is fully recovered.

It was vividly after Olympic Games.

Medalist
    In an interview for Estonian TV they did last year she was clearly anti-american in her attitudes. It is quite obvious she's
    part of the new fashion of rich/famous russians being increasingly anti-western. There is a group of Rus. skaters (who are loosing their ground
    in terms of rankings/placement) that have begun to continuously call for coaches to go back to the motherland.
    Hello, get with the program, please. it's not 1985 anymore. Plus, these coaches won't help you. You had one, remember?
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 05-16-2010 at 03:10 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Artistry
    In an interview for Estonian TV they did last year she was clearly anti-american in her attitudes. It is quite obvious she's
    part of the new fashion of rich/famous russians being increasingly anti-western. There is a group of Rus. skaters (who are loosing their ground
    in terms of rankings/placement) that have begun to continuously call for coaches to go back to the motherland.
    Hello, get with the program, please. it's not 1985 anymore. Plus, these coaches won't help you. You had one, remember?

Again: you don't really understand what she is talking about. There are many many Russian coaches who works abroad with another skaters. And they do it because they don't have a chance to be succesful in Russia and make money. Oksana says that we need them here, and it's true, so we need to give them a chance to be succesful in Russia: money, ice time, etc. And then some of them will choose to return. And they really want to return. Morozov made this deсision after years abroad (and rumors says that Linichuk also). It's not anti-american attitude or something. And it's not for her, she is done with sport. She just wants her country to be succesful in skating in Sochi
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 05-16-2010 at 03:11 PM. Reason: remove quotation of a moderated post

On the Ice
    Anything official would be on their official website. So far it isn't. I'm not implying it's not true, I don't know, but offcial? Definitely not!

Lucky Star, I generally agree with you, but I find it ironic when I hear talk of enticing Shpilband and Zueva to come back. "Come back" to what? Linichuk - yes, she is a Russian coach through and through, who just happens to work in the US and coach some international skaters. Morozov is somewhat in the middle. But Shpilband - he built up his school pretty much from scratch, really working his way up; yes, he may coach Ruusian teams(Kokhlova/ Andreev), but coming back permanently - I just don't see it.

Rinkside
    Well that's the truth. Oksana's always taken a anti-American stance when it comes to her sport. Her interviews after the grand prix circuit and Europeans made it obvious she's not a big supporter. She's also always said many times she never wants to go back to America, ever.

And who came blame her?

Natalia Linichuk said several times she thinks the entire "controversy" over the Aboriginal OD was all America's doing. Apparently the American people made up this whole controversy as a desperate attempt to get their teams to the podium and knock her team off. Which I don't think is really rational, but this may have caused Oksana to say the things she did.
    Last edited by Mia_; 05-16-2010 at 03:02 PM.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Mia_ View Post
    Well that's the truth. Oksana's always taken a anti-American stance when it comes to her sport. Her interviews after the grand prix circuit and Europeans made it obvious she's not a big supporter. She's always said many times she never wants to go back to America, ever.
    Oksana never liked it in America, of course she doen't want to go live there ever again. Does that make her "anti-American" in her sport? What does it even mean?

Custom Title
    Shpilband defected from the USSR. Perhaps the underlined word needs to be translated into Russian for everyone to understand such implication. Besides, he is now a U.S. citizen. Zueva left Russia about 2 decades ago and is now a Canadian citizen. It's hard to imagine why they would ever want to go back to Russia, money notwithstanding.

For the longest time, most of the top ice dancers in the world have been coached by Russians. Even Bourne/Kraatz were coached by successive Russians, from Dubova, to Tarasova and then Morozov. A/P was a half Russian team with Marina being Russian even though their coach is French but they later on took on Dubova as well. Yet, the Russian dominance in Ice Dance hasn't really been affected by all these Russian coaches working abroad or with foreigners for well over 20 years after the USSR dissolved. It makes you question Oksana Domnina's logic that somehow by recalling Russian coaches, that will make a difference. That's assuming any of them have a moral obligation to go back to Russia. And then, there is the question of financial incentives. Lucky Star suggests that with improved conditions, most of them would want to go back. I think that's not true. For one thing, even if Russia is willing to pay a truck load of money for Zueva and Shpilband, they won't go back. So obviously, money isn't the only consideration. As for Linichuck, she may as well go back to Russia because no elite North American dance teams in their right mind would go to her after what happened to Belbin/Agosto. Besides, with D/S pretty much retired and the Italian team going into their 10th Worlds this coming season, she is going have to deal with an empty nest soon. It would seem, whether she wants it or not, staying in America probably won't do her any good without someone feeding her talented young teams she can coach.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 05-16-2010 at 03:21 PM.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by ostile17 View Post
    Oksana never liked it in America, of course she doen't want to go live there ever again. Does that make her "anti-American" in her sport? What does it even mean?
    You've never heard her talk then.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
    Again: you don't really understand what she is talking about. There are many many Russian coaches who works abroad with another skaters. And they do it because they don't have a chance to be succesful in Russia and make money. Oksana says that we need them here, and it's true, so we need to give them a chance to be succesful in Russia: money, ice time, etc. And then some of them will choose to return. And they really want to return. Morozov made this deсision after years abroad (and rumors says that Linichuk also). It's not anti-american attitude or something. And it's not for her, she is done with sport. She just wants her country to be succesful in skating in Sochi
    How nice now that Oksana is done competing and taking advantage of facilites in America she wants all other Russians to come home.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka View Post
    Lucky Star, I generally agree with you, but I find it ironic when I hear talk of enticing Shpilband and Zueva to come back. "Come back" to what? Linichuk - yes, she is a Russian coach through and through, who just happens to work in the US and coach some international skaters. Morozov is somewhat in the middle. But Shpilband - he built up his school pretty much from scratch, really working his way up; yes, he may coach Ruusian teams(Kokhlova/ Andreev), but coming back permanently - I just don't see it.
    I didn't really mean Shpilband and Zueva, I told about all the coaches who work abroad. It's not only top-level coaches, but also coaches who work with kids, juniors, etc. It's obvious that some of them (like Shpilband and Zueva) will stay where they are, but some may choose to come back to Russia if they have a chance to be successful here. And Russian FS federation should give them that chance

On the Ice
    You've never heard her talk then.
    Oh, ok! That's an interesting answer!

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by ostile17 View Post
    Oh, ok! That's an interesting answer!
    Glad you enjoy it!

Maybe go out to more of these competitions and you will see what I mean...I not the one who is "pretending" to be their fan.

(I was at the EC by the way and some of the things skaters said was and )
    Last edited by Mia_; 05-16-2010 at 03:07 PM.

On the Ice
    Glad you enjoy it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast