Domnina/Shabalin | Golden Skate

Domnina/Shabalin

dom_shafan

Rinkside
Domnina/Shabalin retiring?

I'm not much of a poster here, but is it true that Domnina/Shabalin retired? I keep reading from people here that they did but I've seen no official confirmation. Can anyone verify it?

Last edited:

Lucky Star

Final Flight
I'm not much of a poster here, but is it true that Domnina/Shabalin retired? I keep reading from people here that they did but I've seen no official confirmation. Can anyone verify it?

It's not official yet, but there's no chance for them to continue, unfortunately ((( People can't even walk with injury that Maksim has and 3 surgeries didn't really help him

Ivana

On the Ice
The only "official" information I remeber is that they are taking a season off. But as Lucky Star said, people can't even walk with the injury Maxim has, so the chance for their return after a year is close to zero.

dom_shafan

Rinkside
I see. I know he's been battling injury for a few seasons now, but I didn't know if they were going to remain skating together. Thanks for the heads up. :)

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
does anyone think she will skate with another partner after he retires? She is 25, but that is not that old in ice dance, considering they were not really contenders in Torino, they have not been on the world stage all that long.

herios

Medalist
does anyone think she will skate with another partner after he retires? She is 25, but that is not that old in ice dance, considering they were not really contenders in Torino, they have not been on the world stage all that long.

Chances for Oksana to find a suitable partner are extremely slim, there are not many quality ice dancers searching for partners to begin with, and her height makes it a lot more challenging. I personally think she is done,

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How about Deividas Stagniunas (LTU)? Katherine Copely has retired from skating.

However, I don't think he would be willing to skate for Russia, and even if Russia would release Oksana to compete for Lithuania, there would be little chance of them making it to Sochi, since it's very difficult to obtain Lithuanian citizenship (LTU doesn't recognize dual citizenship and Oksana would have to renounce her Russian citizenship).

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Deividas tried out with Khoklova. I presume that they might have been going to skate for Russia, if the tryout worked out? In any case, it's only Olympics where citizenship matters.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:think:This is a Hmmmm sort of thing isn't it ? When it was reported that RSF types had initially considered Fedor as a possible partner for Domnina , I thought then why not Deividas ? The two guys are much the same height. And if there's a shortage of possible partners for Jana , it must be worse for Oxana , because she's tall ( not as easily portable ;) )

It gets so convoluted considering all the ins and outs of whether or not it would be easy to gain citizenship... I can't see the benefit to the RSF ,in their push for Sochi, to have Oxana compete for anyone else..But would it be just as inspiring to young Lithuanian skaters to have Deividas out there with a good partner no matter who they represented...Would it be so unpopular ?

Fashionista

On the Ice
However, I don't think he would be willing to skate for Russia,.
???
When he tried out with Jana Khokhlova it was supposed they would skate for Russia.
And I'm not even talking about of all the advantages he gets if he skates for Russia.

Anyway I read somewhere in Russian media that Oksana officially announced about her retirement.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Well, I can believe that. It would be very difficult to consider coming back ..being almost certain not to have a chance at the podium at the next world's.

dom_shafan

Rinkside
According to an interview with kirovnet.ru, Oksana is thinking about coaching in Kirov. Here are a few excerpts from that interview:

translated by google translator

- What did you talk with the president behind closed doors?
We discussed the development of sport. All participants expressed their wishes, spoke about construction, someone expressed gratitude to the Federation, someone, on the contrary, their discontent. I said that we need to return the coaches who have left Russia, because they are now working abroad and raise our rivals.

- What you need to change the situation?
Now the popularity of figure skating has grown because of the ice shows, more children have to deal with. So what is left to create conditions which, because now, to Prieur, Kirov engaged young athletes when they are both on the ice 60. That's impossible! It's just like so stand up and everything!

- What kind of figure skating is there to say?
But they will build a new rink. It will appear in 2012, now we just discussed it with the governor. I may be able to return to the Kirov, but now as a coach. But only if the normal roller: and coaches and athletes need conditions.

Source

Last edited:

wallylutz

Medalist
I said that we need to return the coaches who have left Russia, because they are now working abroad and raise our rivals.

Seriously? :sheesh: It was fun the first time they said it post-Vancouver. Now they keep repeating it and actually do try to enforce such thinking, I wonder if other countries should adopt a policy where money shouldn't flow to Russia because they are used to train Russian skaters. :disapp: That kind of thinking is beyond stupid. When Tarasova and Morozov coached B/K to the top of the world, ahead of L/A in 2003, why didn't they think about recalling Russian coaches?

Lucky Star

Final Flight
Seriously? :sheesh: It was fun the first time they said it post-Vancouver. Now they keep repeating it and actually do try to enforce such thinking, I wonder if other countries should adopt a policy where money shouldn't flow to Russia because they are used to train Russian skaters. :disapp: That kind of thinking is beyond stupid. When Tarasova and Morozov coached B/K to the top of the world, ahead of L/A in 2003, why didn't they think about recalling Russian coaches?

It was first said many years before Vancouver. And she is right. Do you know how many coaches left Russia in early 90's and then? For example, US Nationals ice dance. About 20 (!) couples there had Russian coaches. If they could make money and had all they need for a good work (ice time, etc.) in Russia, most of them wouldn't leave and that's what Oksana is talking about. Now it's getting better and many coaches are back. TAT, Zhulin, Morozov, rumors says that Linichuk is also thinking about that. It's not like Russian coaches should work only in Russia with Russian skaters. But too many of them have left and some (if not most of them) will choose to return if they have a chance to be as successful in Russia as they are abroad

ostile17

Rinkside
???
When he tried out with Jana Khokhlova it was supposed they would skate for Russia.
And I'm not even talking about of all the advantages he gets if he skates for Russia.

Anyway I read somewhere in Russian media that Oksana officially announced about her retirement.

No, she did not. An article appeared in the Russian press, quoting Roman Kostomarov saying that Oksana was done with her competitive career, mostly to stop rumors that the two of them were planning to train together in view of a return for Sochi 2014. That's far from an official announcement.
Officially Oksana and Maxim are taking one year off, and so far that's the only official news about their status.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
ostile, Thank you for clarifying that. I pray to hear soon that Maxim is fully recovered.

Artistry

On the Ice
In an interview for Estonian TV they did last year she was clearly anti-american in her attitudes. It is quite obvious she's
part of the new fashion of rich/famous russians being increasingly anti-western. There is a group of Rus. skaters (who are loosing their ground
in terms of rankings/placement) that have begun to continuously call for coaches to go back to the motherland.
Hello, get with the program, please. it's not 1985 anymore. Plus, these coaches won't help you. You had one, remember?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lucky Star

Final Flight
Artistry said:
In an interview for Estonian TV they did last year she was clearly anti-american in her attitudes. It is quite obvious she's
part of the new fashion of rich/famous russians being increasingly anti-western. There is a group of Rus. skaters (who are loosing their ground
in terms of rankings/placement) that have begun to continuously call for coaches to go back to the motherland.
Hello, get with the program, please. it's not 1985 anymore. Plus, these coaches won't help you. You had one, remember?

Again: you don't really understand what she is talking about. There are many many Russian coaches who works abroad with another skaters. And they do it because they don't have a chance to be succesful in Russia and make money. Oksana says that we need them here, and it's true, so we need to give them a chance to be succesful in Russia: money, ice time, etc. And then some of them will choose to return. And they really want to return. Morozov made this deсision after years abroad (and rumors says that Linichuk also). It's not anti-american attitude or something. And it's not for her, she is done with sport. She just wants her country to be succesful in skating in Sochi

Last edited by a moderator:

ostile17

Rinkside
Anything official would be on their official website. So far it isn't. I'm not implying it's not true, I don't know, but offcial? Definitely not!