Grandma's in the hospital again... | Golden Skate

Grandma's in the hospital again...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
This time it's her kidneys. Just got the call from my uncle (the one I barely tolerate) even though she's been in the hospital for twelve hours :disapp: he's blaming my grandfather for not telling me (um, dude YOU were at home, YOU were by the phone YOU could have called. G'pa was a little busy). That's beside the point, though. My uncle said he doesn't know what's going on because it's 'all medicine to him' and he'd make sure grampa called me tomorrow. :sheesh: Says they're going to test her for 'women's cancer, or something like that.'

:scowl: At this point I'm more annoyed with my uncle than I am worried about my gma... if gpa came home tonight (which he did) then it's not an immediate seriousness... if that makes sense... that and I'm in denial.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well, kidneys are serious, but

1. A person has two and can, if need be, spare one.
2. Dialysis, while unpleasant, is not an immediate death sentence. My cousin Jean was on dialysis 25 years before she passed away in her 80's.
3. Kidney transplants, while expensive, work well in a large percentage of cases.

http://www.utmb.edu/renaltx/srate.htm

In Texas, they say 5% death rate for a cadaver donor, and better than that for a live donor.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Toni, sending big ((((((( )))))))) to you. I will keep you and grandma in my prayers.

Blue Bead

Medalist
Toni....I'm so sorry to learn your grandma is hospitalized once again; the woman just can't catch a break, can she? If she does require dialysis (and I'm not saying that's what her situation will turn out to be, by any means), her life style will change considerably but life can be maintained that way for quite a few years. I speak from experience. My late husband was diagnosed with kidney failure in the early 1990's and had a cadaver transplant in 1993. He lived for 12 years after that, free from thrice weekly dialysis sessions. His transplant failed after 14 years and he resumed hemodialysis sessions until his death.

If your grandma's situation does go into dialysis you can PM me for information concerning what she will be up against in the short and long terms. (((((((hugs for the whole family)))))))

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Talked to G'Pa about fifteen minutes ago. G'ma will be going in for surgery tomorrow morning. He is a little confused about what they will be doing, but he believes they're going to be removing part of her colon as well as putting in a coloscopy (spelling?) bag.

ranjake

Final Flight
Prayers, Toni. From reading your posts, you seem like such a wonderful, caring daughter/grand-daughter/ family member. i'm sure that means so much and is a source of much pride and comfort to your family. You seem like such a good 'kid'!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
gma came out of surgery okay. they found a tumor, won't know for sure if it's cancerous until at teh earliest tomorrow but the doctor said from looking at it that it was a cancerous tumor... not sure what that means for recovery and the like.

gma was really doped up when I saw her. took gpa out to dinner while we waited for her to get out of recovery and into a room...

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Sorry to hear about your grandmother, Toni. Hope all goes well for her.

Blue Bead

Medalist
Toni...I'm so sorry to read this. I do hope the surgeon got all the tumor and that it hasn't spread anywhere else. Sending prayers for her and hugs for all of you.

Medusa

Record Breaker
I am so sorry, Toni. I hope that it will turn out okay. I pray for you and your family!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
thank you for teh prayers and support (and words of encouragement)

Mom just sent me a note saying dad talked to g'pa and there's nothing really new to report. The pathology report on teh tumor came back confirming it was cancerous, g'ma's on a morphine pump so she's in and out of it (mainly out of it).

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
just got an update from my mom a little while ago:

"daddy talked to grampa a while ago and he said the doctor told him he removed the tumor (which was cancerous) and checked all the lymph nodes...no sign of any markers in the nodes, so the oncologist is coming in tomorrow and they will probably put her on some oral chemo to make sure to get any cells that might be floating around...they've been having her do all her physical therapy and he's taking her walker up to the hospital tomorrow...she's still using the morphine, but other than that, seems to be doing better."

Blue Bead

Medalist
That there are no signs of cancer in her lymph nodes is the best news, Toni. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that the oral chemo treatments extinguish any cancer cells floating throughout her system. I agree with the others that it is excellent the doctors are getting her up and walking and doing her physical therapy exercises so soon after surgery, even if she is on morphine. The activity will also improve her outlook on the situation.