Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Who Will Be Mao's New Coaches?

Quote Originally Posted by sodessss View Post
    a Japanese magazine
    Isn't it a Japanese weekly magazine? I saw a headline only. It's a nice idea but Shizuka likes skating by herself in ice shows, so this will not happen, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory View Post
    Isn't it a Japanese weekly magazine? I saw a headline only. It's a nice idea but Shizuka likes skating by herself in ice shows, so this will not happen, I think.
    It would be lovely if she can be kind of a mentor of Mao to give her advice once in a while

Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    It would be lovely if she can be kind of a mentor of Mao to give her advice once in a while
    Yes, I like the sound of that. Didn't she make chocolate for all the Japanese figure skaters heading to the Olympics? How sweet.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by sodessss View Post
    Mao's mom said she wanted shizuka arakawa as Mao's new coach in her recent interview. She really admires Arakawa's beautiful Ina Bauer and her artistry. And she said they wanted relatively young coach because Mao is shy of strangers and a little bit socially inept. I think it's great idea.
    It's not an interview with Mao's mom.
    The article says, "It is reportedly said that Mao's mom told a friend of her late March that she'd like Shizuka to coach Mao."
    In the same article, Shizuka says she cannot comment as she hasn't been asked officially.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jasminum View Post
    It's not an interview with Mao's mom.
    The article says, "It is reportedly said that Mao's mom told a friend of her late March that she'd like Shizuka to coach Mao."
    In the same article, Shizuka says she cannot comment as she hasn't been asked officially.
    Did Mao's mom really say that her daugher is socially inept??Did you find it in that article?

Quote Originally Posted by PROKOFIEV View Post
    Did Mao's mom really say that her daugher is socially inept??Did you find it in that article?
    I googled it and the source is a gossip news site and the description is like

"Someone related to FS in Nagoya" said that Mao's mom seemed to have told to "Mao's mom's acquaintance" such and such back in late March. The article even admits that "The story still remains the level of rumor.".............

http://entameblog.seesaa.net/article/147959996.html
    Last edited by Bennett; 05-04-2010 at 10:10 AM.

Custom Title
    If the source is a gossip news site, the rumor might be completely baseless. As Bennet said, Shizuka is involved in too many projects herself, and she might not want to committ to coaching at this point.
    I'm worried though it's taking too long to find a coach. She's used to being on her own, but this must be stressful for her.

I think I saw an article a few weeks back where someone on her side was saying that they were still undecided about who would be her coaches, and that there was still the possibility of a non-Japanese coach being included in the team as they had received an/some coaching offer(s) from abroad.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by princess9 View Post
    Yes, always was a great athlete and with the years became the most sublime skater. I think she lacks Kristi's total versatility as a dancer on ice but I'd say she has the best edges of anyone skating then or now. I'd rather watch her skate than just about anyone. And I loved how she learned pairs to keep her hubby skating after he lost his former partner. Her soft beautiful style is so elegant. Just love Yuka!
    I'm with you on Yuka. As you say, she just got better as she went along. She was one of the first ladies who could really knock you out with her footwork. If her excellence is at all a reflection of her father's coaching, it would be great if Mr. Sato could take Mao on. The idea of Shizuka having some role in Asada's coaching is also attractive. And Lori Nichol for choreography! (Possibly yet another of my unrealistic dreams, but isn't that what a fan forum is for?)

Mashimaro on Ice
    Whoever they pick for her main coach, I just hope it's a good one and someone who can stay with her for a long time. As for choreographer, TAT will probably do one of her programs. I'm curious to know who they'll pick for the other one.

I just wonder - after several years now if Mao is really coachable. As in having a strong head coach running her training, determining what to work on, off-ice training, etc. on a full-time daily basis. Or if it is even necessary?

It is one thing to hire a good technical coach and work with them a couple of times a week for a month or two. There is also the coach who has a vision for where he/she can take a skater. Or to be atleast able to have a plan that will be followed by the skater when it comes to fixing up problems on more than a temporary and/or part time basis.

Then there is the question of the family's role - does mom know more than say an Arutunian when it comes to knowing what and how long to practice? Or having the experience and "eyes" to spot flaws as they might develope? To know different ways to approach problems and to be able to see progress the skater might not be aware of?

There are so many different things a good full time coach can do to teach, train and enhance a skater's abilty to perform well. Unfortunately the non-skating mom's and pops of the world do not possess this type of expertise.

I wonder if Mao and her family sort of liked that Tat was away in Russia as opposed to running Mao's practices on a daily/weekly/monthly/annual basis
    Without Tat getting to know Mao better from a sustained period of training together I don't see how she was ever more than Mao's choreographer and "political asset" at the biggest events.

Even the "political" part seems more of an outdated hangover from the 6.0 era.

I suspect Mao will be loosely coached by committee with Mao and her family more or less deciding what, how and when Mao will train.

Just an opinion and not meant as a knock on Mao or her family. She is immensely talented and a 2-time WC and OSM. Maybe no real change is necessary.............

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    I just wonder - after several years now if Mao is really coachable. As in having a strong head coach running her training, determining what to work on, off-ice training, etc. on a full-time daily basis. Or if it is even necessary?

It is one thing to hire a good technical coach and work with them a couple of times a week for a month or two. There is also the coach who has a vision for where he/she can take a skater. Or to be atleast able to have a plan that will be followed by the skater when it comes to fixing up problems on more than a temporary and/or part time basis.

Then there is the question of the family's role - does mom know more than say an Arutunian when it comes to knowing what and how long to practice? Or having the experience and "eyes" to spot flaws as they might develope? To know different ways to approach problems and to be able to see progress the skater might not be aware of?

There are so many different things a good full time coach can do to teach, train and enhance a skater's abilty to perform well. Unfortunately the non-skating mom's and pops of the world do not possess this type of expertise.

I wonder if Mao and her family sort of liked that Tat was away in Russia as opposed to running Mao's practices on a daily/weekly/monthly/annual basis
    Without Tat getting to know Mao better from a sustained period of training together I don't see how she was ever more than Mao's choreographer and "political asset" at the biggest events.

Even the "political" part seems more of an outdated hangover from the 6.0 era.

I suspect Mao will be loosely coached by committee with Mao and her family more or less deciding what, how and when Mao will train.

Just an opinion and not meant as a knock on Mao or her family. She is immensely talented and a 2-time WC and OSM. Maybe no real change is necessary.............
    Those problems arose because her coaches were not located in Japan. That's why this time they want to find a Japanese coach/coaches. Mao stayed with Yamada for a long time and there was no problem. I'm thinking that Mao's mom would have been more involved back then since she was younger.

On the Ice
    There is no reason to assume that Mao is uncoachable. What do we actually know about her practice sessions? About her coaching situation? Just because she insisted on being part-time coached by Tarasova does not prove anything. I heard that both Mao and her mother admired Tarasova and maybe that admiration has blinded them. Who knows what Mao is thinking? Maybe she is actually longing for a full-time coach that would guide her? That would do her a world of good in my opinion as she seemed a bit lost this season (and last season, too).

That's an insinuation. I cannot read Japanese, but I remember reading a translation of an interview with Mao after one of her competitions (sorry, don't remember which one) in which she said that she didn't feel confident because she didn't seen Tarasova for quite long. That again may imply that she wants to be close to her coach.
    The fact that she doesn't want to live Japan and find foreign coach doesn't mean that she is unwillling to step outside her comfort-zone either. In one of her interview she said that she has difficulty in stating her opinions and suggestions in English and maybe that's why she wants her coach to be Japanese - she could fully cooperate with him/her.

I wish the best for Mao. You call it an "insinuation" - and you could be right. I prefer to think of it as an "observation.'

It seemed odd when Mao left Rafael - and then seemed surprised that he no longer considered himself her coach. No need to gossip about it because it is in the past.

Then we know Tat will not leave Russia for personal reasons and yet she is supposed to be "training" Mao. Nonsense - you can't train a skater with such an arrangement. But Mao/family seemed to accept this long distance training (I call it a lack of training) even heading into an Olympic season.

If I sound negative or against Mao that is not the case. I love her skating and think she is just a special talent.
    I am not sure if or how she will be trained in the future. Like I said, such a great talent seems to be doing OK on her own.

I would not be surprised if realistically Mao and her family remain in charge of her training. I also think there are more than enough terrific coaches in Japan for Mao not to have to live overseas. I like Akiko's coach and also whoever is training Dai seems pretty darn good!. I know a little about the Sato family and have nothing but respect for all of them.

It remains to be seen if Mao will let someone coach her on a daily fulltime basis. I say that because it has been what now - 2 years or longer - since she actually had a top coach training her every day? Insinuation or observation - I think that's the facts.
    Last edited by janetfan; 05-04-2010 at 03:30 PM.

I wish the best for Mao. You call it an "insinuation" - and you could be right. I prefer to think of it as an "observation.'

It seemed odd when Mao left Rafael - and then seemed surprised that he no longer considered himself her coach. No need to gossip about it because it is in the past.

Then we know Tat will not leave Russia for personal reasons and yet she is supposed to be "training" Mao. Nonsense - you can't train a skater with such an arrangement. But Mao/family seemed to accept this long distance training (I call it a lack of training) even heading into an Olympic season.

If I sound negative or against Mao that is not the case. I love her skating and think she is just a special talent.
    I am not sure if or how she will be trained in the future. Like I said, such a great talent seems to be doing OK on her own.

I would not be surprised if realistically Mao and her family remain in charge of her training. I also think there are more than enough terrific coaches in Japan for Mao not to have to live overseas. I like Akiko's coach and also whoever is training Dai seems pretty darn good!. I know a little about the Sato family and have nothing but respect for all of them.

It remains to be seen if Mao will let someone coach her on a daily fulltime basis. I say that because it has been what now - 3 years or longer - since she actually had a top coach training her every day? Insinuation or observation - I think that's the facts.
    Actually, it's been a little only two years.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRCf6I_Mi8A — ABC video acknowledges that Mao has arrived with no coach.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast