Who Will Be Mao's New Coaches? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Who Will Be Mao's New Coaches?

So, you call me a liar?

Let's just say you are a mystery man (or lady). You claim to be Japanese, yet you are posting from Korea. You claim to be a Mao fan, yet here you are calling her uneducated and barely literate in her native language. In one post you use bad English and conclude, "sorry my English." In the next you write perfect idiomatic American English. So nobody knows quite what to think of your posts. ;)

Back to topic many ppl think Lori is good for her, and I agree. Maybe Wilson is the best COP point getting choreographer, but I think Lori is a choreographer who has some of the best knowledge and understanding of music. For many ppl when they think of Mao as a skater they tend to think of 3a and jumps etc, I think of her artistry on ice. I think Lori brings out that aspect of her skating well, and Lori can find some of the most unique pieces of music.

I'm with you, "r." I think Lori's style is especially congenial to Mao, whom I think of as an ice artist, as you do. I also agree that Lori has just about the best musicality among choreographers and tends to choose unique pieces of music. (Several times when sites or magazines have asked which skating personality I'd most want to meet, I've chosen Lori, because I'd love to talk music with her!) Lori is able to choreograph flow across the ice better than almost anyone else, and yet (as evidenced by the fact that both Lysacek and Shen/Zhao won OGMs with her work) manages to eke the most effect out of CoP.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Who are coaching at the Chukyo univ rink?

Somewhat off topic or not, where is Yukina nowadays, is she coaching?

I read that Mr. Kozuka (Koz's dad) is one of the advisors. I also recall hearing Midori Ito and Machiko Yamada are involved (not confirmed info).

Yukina Ota went back to Kyoto to attend a university. She was originally from Kyoto, but relocated to Tokyo to train with Mr. Yutaka Higuchi. Besides, most of the rinks in Kyoto including her own home rink closed. I thought she was studying through online course while competing, but after she retired, she went back to her original school Doshisya, one of top private universities (she went to Doshisya Girls' high school, too). After her retirement, she has also turned pro. But I read in a magazine that she was injured again some time after her retirement. I hope it has healed.

sodessss

Rinkside
Let's just say you are a mystery man (or lady). You claim to be Japanese, yet you are posting from Korea. You claim to be a Mao fan, yet here you are calling her uneducated and barely literate in her native language. In one post you use bad English and conclude, "sorry my English." In the next you write perfect idiomatic American English. So nobody knows quite what to think of your posts. ;)

Ha, so was it perfect idiomatic American English? That's good. I've been studying English for about 3 years now. I post with help of dictionary so I can't assess my Eng. level. After my sport carreer I'm preparing for another job, learning Korean at Korea Universty which is actually Yuna's School. And I heard Yuna never come to school. While I don't know about Korea's education system,it looks very similar to Japan's. So,my conclusion is don't faking it as if you go to school while you actually don't.
And about Mao's Japanese, it's not olny my opinion but all japanese' who are around me. And Yuna's Korean? I actually don't know. :laugh:

sodessss

Rinkside

And about my being Mao fan, it's nothing to do with nationalism. I like Mao and Ms. Ando but I don't like fumie suguri. I don't like Yuna because she is Korean but she is robotic. In Korea ,it's nationalism that bothers me the most. In general, Japanese are not interested in Korea but Koreans seem to be so in Japan. I'm not hater and not troll but I highly appriciate honesty.

brownfox

On the Ice
And about my being Mao fan, it's nothing to do with nationalism. I like Mao and Ms. Ando but I don't like fumie suguri. I don't like Yuna because she is Korean but she is robotic. In Korea ,it's nationalism that bothers me the most. In general, Japanese are not interested in Korea but Koreans seem to be so in Japan. I'm not hater and not troll but I highly appriciate honesty.

Basics

On the Ice

Did you actually mean to say "I don't like Yuna not because she is a Korean but she is robotic"?

Well, I feel the same way about Mao. Japanese are not interested in Korea? Oh, sure~

tarotx

On the Ice

Did you actually mean to say "I don't like Yuna not because she is a Korean but she is robotic"?

Well, I feel the same way about Mao. Japanese are not interested in Korea? Oh, sure~

Why are you in a Mao thread if you don't like her?

And if the internet is evidence then many "Mao fans" make anti Korea statements to lift up Mao and many "Yu na fans" make anti Japan statements to lift up Yu Na. I don't think it's right to judge whole countries based on the ubers of these two skaters.

rtureck

Final Flight
I read that Mr. Kozuka (Koz's dad) is one of the advisors. I also recall hearing Midori Ito and Machiko Yamada are involved (not confirmed info).

Yukina Ota went back to Kyoto to attend a university. She was originally from Kyoto, but relocated to Tokyo to train with Mr. Yutaka Higuchi. Besides, most of the rinks in Kyoto including her own home rink closed. I thought she was studying through online course while competing, but after she retired, she went back to her original school Doshisya, one of top private universities (she went to Doshisya Girls' high school, too). After her retirement, she has also turned pro. But I read in a magazine that she was injured again some time after her retirement. I hope it has healed.

Koz's dad is an advisor, not exactly a coach? Who is Yamada's star pupil nowadays. Is Midori working or assisting her in coaching at all. NOw I think Yamada/ Ito can be a posible team.

BTW, the net is buzzing about Koz having a crush on Mao is tht true?

Yukina is one of the most artistic skaters, too bad she is retired and is still struggling with injuries.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Koz's dad is an advisor, not exactly a coach? Who is Yamada's star pupil nowadays. Is Midori working or assisting her in coaching at all. NOw I think Yamada/ Ito can be a posible team.

BTW, the net is buzzing about Koz having a crush on Mao is tht true?

Yukina is one of the most artistic skaters, too bad she is retired and is still struggling with injuries.

Fluff Mao Koz together; they go to Karaoke often. Koz calls Mao Mao (Dai also calls Mao Mao), Mao calls Koz "Taka-chan."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jomBF2WBMnw&feature=related

Mao says Koz is a "very good friend."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzcPkq0uFT8&feature=related

Wrlmy

Medalist
:mad: My ignore list is growing ever so long.

Actually one:mad: wasn't enough.

:mad::mad::mad:

There you go. GS wouldn't let me put more than five smilies darn it!

One thing I will agree with the poser is that Yukari Nakano does display sophisticated usage of vocabulary and perfect diction. Even with my limited Japanese, I can appreciate that. Especially compared to other celebrities, she really stands out. It's no surprise she landed a job with Fuji network.

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
Would be lovely to go back to Ms. Mihoko Higuchi as a choreographer again!

She is not that internationally famous, but choreographed one of the most viewed programs of Mao, her junior ex, "Pick Yourself Up". She also choreopgrahed that refreshing Carmen SP. Both are lighthearted, flirty, and coquettish. Ms. Higuchi has also choreographed Kanako Murakami's programs (not sure which ones though).

Ms. Higuchi has worked with Ms. Machiko Yamada for a long time. Here's her pic. Scroll down. The beautiful lady in black fur next to Mao.

http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/vancouver2010/skating/news/20091227-OHT1T00212.htm

Bennett

Record Breaker

I do not know. Koz's dad wrote a newspaper article and it was copied and pasted on this board. In that newspaper, he put a signature, advisor at that Univ.

But I did see a clip in which he was coaching his son prior to Oly. I read in Miki's book that Koz's parents taught Koz in Nagoya and they went to Mrs. and Mr. Sato's near Tokyo every weekend (they brought young Miki to Mrs. & Mr. Sato's, too).

The story about Yamada and Midori is not a confirmed piece of info. But I just heard it elsewhere. And Yamada did say in a clip prior to Oly that she was in a situation where she was often seeing Mao practice and talking with her (but she did not sound like she was involved as a coach). On the other hand, Yamada has her own club in another rink. Her star student in Kanako Murakami.

I highly doubt if Yamada still wants to coach Mao again for four more years. It'd be really a lot of work to have a super star student like Mao. She could not always travel abroad with Mao even at that time.

I do not know if Midori coaches. I recall her coming back as a pro skater around 40 yrs old and trying 2A.

Last edited:

rtureck

Final Flight
I do not know. Koz's dad wrote a newspaper article and it was copied and pasted on this board. In that newspaper, he put a signature, advisor at that Univ.

I highly doubt if Yamada still wants to coach Mao again for four more years. It'd be really a lot of work to have a super star student like Mao. She could not always travel abroad with Mao even at that time.

I do not know if Midori coaches. I recall her coming back as a pro skater around 40 yrs old and trying 2A.

It is always a double edged sword of coaching world class star pupil. BTw, what are the arrangements of coaching fee in Japan? In the US e.g. I heard that a coach negotiates a % of the pupil's income in their contract e.g. 20% of the skaters earnings.

Bennett

Record Breaker
It is always a double edged sword of coaching world class star pupil. BTw, what are the arrangements of coaching fee in Japan? In the US e.g. I heard that a coach negotiates a % of the pupil's income in their contract e.g. 20% of the skaters earnings.

No idea. I only know that I was charged between $25-$50 per 30 min as a lower level skater many years ago..... I read a magazine estimating $180 per hour for top coaches (so $90 per 30 min?) though. Who's paying who and how much is pretty much mystery. Unless Fumie came out, we did not know that she was out of sponsors for two years and using her own saving and faimly's saving to compete.

But Mao is the richest so finances would never be any problems for her.

This is totally random chat about the impression of mine without any confirmed info. But I actually just had an impression that Kurt might be interested in coaching Mao because he says what he likes about her and he was pretty critical about the music choice this season (like zombi coming out of a tomb or something scary, he said). Unless you feel a strong sense of attachment with love, you would not go that far to crticize how another great coach packaged her own student.

rtureck

Final Flight
No idea. I only know that I was charged between $25-$50 per 30 min as a lower level skater many years ago..... I read a magazine estimating $180 per hour for top coaches (so $90 per 30 min?) though. Who's paying who and how much is pretty much mystery. Unless Fumie came out, we did not know that she was out of sponsors for two years and using her own saving and faimly's saving to compete.

But Mao is the richest so finances would never be any problems for her.

This is totally random chat about the impression of mine without any confirmed info. But I actually just had an impression that Kurt might be interested in coaching Mao because he says what he likes about her and he was pretty critical about the music choice this season (like zombi coming out of a tomb or something scary, he said). Unless you feel a strong sense of attachment with love, you would not go that far to crticize how another great coach packaged her own student.

Oh no one is worried about whether Mao can finance her skating, and since she is the richest and if her coach gets a % of her earnings tht can be a little extra incentive for a coach.
By Kurt you mean Browning? He is a very busy person, but I had thought about Kurt Browning choreographing for Mao.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Oh no one is worried about whether Mao can finance her skating, and since she is the richest and if her coach gets a % of her earnings tht can be a little extra incentive for a coach.
By Kurt you mean Browning? He is a very busy person, but I had thought about Kurt Browning choreographing for Mao.

I thought that that would be fun! Some contemporary cool stuff from him.