Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Who Will Be Mao's New Coaches?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Actually, it's been a little only two years.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRCf6I_Mi8A — ABC video acknowledges that Mao has arrived with no coach.
    Thanks for pointing that out Mrs. P. I changed my post but not necessarily my doubts about whether Mao may be more comfortable without a full time coach training her. Maybe it was all a matter of circumstances with Rafael - but that doesn't seem to be the case with Tat since that was a very unusual situation with an absentee coach that when on for quite a while and right through an Olympic season.

It was fun watching the clip!

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out Mrs. P. I changed my post but not necessarily my doubts about whether Mao may be more comfortable without a full time coach training her. Maybe it was all a matter of circumstances with Rafael - but that doesn't seem to be the case with Tat since that was a very unusual situation with an absentee coach that when on for quite a while and right through an Olympic season.

It was fun watching the clip!
    As you shouldn't.
    Other posts have mentioned that Mao often keeps injuries and other pain to herself. I think a full-time coach would expose that and it would be tough for Mao to push herself in the way that she would like.
    Maybe that would change with a Japan-based coach, but I'm not so sure. We shall see!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    As you shouldn't.
    Other posts have mentioned that Mao often keeps injuries and other pain to herself. I think a full-time coach would expose that and it would be tough for Mao to push herself in the way that she would like.
    Maybe that would change with a Japan-based coach, but I'm not so sure. We shall see!
    Mao seems like the kind of person who doesn't thrive on living abroad or deal with foreign languages. Most of them struggle. Prior to Ando and Oda, I can't recall many top Japanese skaters training abroad and even if they do, it's only for a short period of time. The only exception is Yuka Sato but she also has an unusual gift for English language, more so than her peers, which makes her a little more comfortable dealing with the foreign media for example. The other Japanese skaters get very nervous when they were interviewed in English and almost seemed to panic if they are asked more than one questions. I don't think I heard Mao speaking English ever.

Custom Title
    I think the perfect coach for Mao would be Yuka. It's too bad she won't come here and train. I think we would embrace her. She also should work with Lori Nichol. Or Sandra Bezic or maybe Cindy Stuart. I don't feel Russian style, a la TAT displayed her at her best. I did not know Shizuka was coaching elite skaters.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by princess9 View Post
    I think the perfect coach for Mao would be Yuka. It's too bad she won't come here and train. I think we would embrace her. She also should work with Lori Nichol. Or Sandra Bezic or maybe Cindy Stuart. I don't feel Russian style, a la TAT displayed her at her best. I did not know Shizuka was coaching elite skaters.
    I don't think Mao will travel to US for Yuka. I also love the idea of YUka being her coach. I think Yuka's father will be good as the main coach and a few tech/ spin coaches to include Lucindah for spins (she speaks Japanese)

I wish the best for Mao. You call it an "insinuation" - and you could be right. I prefer to think of it as an "observation.'

It seemed odd when Mao left Rafael - and then seemed surprised that he no longer considered himself her coach. No need to gossip about it because it is in the past.

Then we know Tat will not leave Russia for personal reasons and yet she is supposed to be "training" Mao. Nonsense - you can't train a skater with such an arrangement. But Mao/family seemed to accept this long distance training (I call it a lack of training) even heading into an Olympic season.

If I sound negative or against Mao that is not the case. I love her skating and think she is just a special talent.
    I am not sure if or how she will be trained in the future. Like I said, such a great talent seems to be doing OK on her own.

I would not be surprised if realistically Mao and her family remain in charge of her training. I also think there are more than enough terrific coaches in Japan for Mao not to have to live overseas. I like Akiko's coach and also whoever is training Dai seems pretty darn good!. I know a little about the Sato family and have nothing but respect for all of them.

It remains to be seen if Mao will let someone coach her on a daily fulltime basis. I say that because it has been what now - 2 years or longer - since she actually had a top coach training her every day? Insinuation or observation - I think that's the facts.
    Mao is not uncoachable. I think Japan has an unique situation, too many skaters (ones with good potential) and too few coaches. I guess same goes for the availability of rink. REmember how Shizuka went through coaches after coaches in the couple of seasons prior to 06 olys. Fortunately for her, she won the gold. If she only won the silver (like Mao) and decided to go for 4 more yrs, we will have this same discussion.

About Mao leaving Arutunian, well Mai and Mao did went through that ordeal of Lake arrowhead fire right? It is difficult to be settled in another country at such a young age.
    Last edited by rtureck; 05-04-2010 at 05:59 PM.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Mao seems like the kind of person who doesn't thrive on living abroad or deal with foreign languages. Most of them struggle. Prior to Ando and Oda, I can't recall many top Japanese skaters training abroad and even if they do, it's only for a short period of time. The only exception is Yuka Sato but she also has an unusual gift for English language, more so than her peers, which makes her a little more comfortable dealing with the foreign media for example. The other Japanese skaters get very nervous when they were interviewed in English and almost seemed to panic if they are asked more than one questions. I don't think I heard Mao speaking English ever.
    Go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfs-5VZyDjk
    Mao's interview with ABC after her SP and LP in 2008. I agree she seems nervous, but I find her charming anyway.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by PROKOFIEV View Post
    Did Mao's mom really say that her daugher is socially inept??Did you find it in that article?
    I don't find any Japanese phrases meaning "socially inept" in that article.

On the Ice
    I just wonder - after several years now if Mao is really coachable. As in having a strong head coach running her training, determining what to work on, off-ice training, etc. on a full-time daily basis. Or if it is even necessary?

It is one thing to hire a good technical coach and work with them a couple of times a week for a month or two. There is also the coach who has a vision for where he/she can take a skater. Or to be atleast able to have a plan that will be followed by the skater when it comes to fixing up problems on more than a temporary and/or part time basis.

Then there is the question of the family's role - does mom know more than say an Arutunian when it comes to knowing what and how long to practice? Or having the experience and "eyes" to spot flaws as they might develope? To know different ways to approach problems and to be able to see progress the skater might not be aware of?

There are so many different things a good full time coach can do to teach, train and enhance a skater's abilty to perform well. Unfortunately the non-skating mom's and pops of the world do not possess this type of expertise.

I wonder if Mao and her family sort of liked that Tat was away in Russia as opposed to running Mao's practices on a daily/weekly/monthly/annual basis
    Without Tat getting to know Mao better from a sustained period of training together I don't see how she was ever more than Mao's choreographer and "political asset" at the biggest events.

Even the "political" part seems more of an outdated hangover from the 6.0 era.

I suspect Mao will be loosely coached by committee with Mao and her family more or less deciding what, how and when Mao will train.

Just an opinion and not meant as a knock on Mao or her family. She is immensely talented and a 2-time WC and OSM. Maybe no real change is necessary.............

I'm not happy with all the Mao's mom bashing. Mao's mom is really wise and quite an expert in skating. She knows everything about Mao. She always accompany her daughter and watches carefully her trainning on and off ice everyday. She fired Arutunian because he didn't respect Mao's mom's expertise in skating and jumps layout. If athletes parents know about their kids than coaches do then let them do their jobs.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by jasminum View Post
    I don't find any Japanese phrases meaning "socially inept" in that article.
    My English is not good enough to translate but I think 'socially inept' is not that quit inappropriate.

On the Ice
    Mao definitely needs a full time coach plus a jump coach.
    I think she knows it. She's learned a bitter lesson.

It seems that Mao is more comfortable with female coaches though, I hope Mr and Mrs Sato will coach her.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by rtureck View Post
    I don't think Mao will travel to US for Yuka. I also love the idea of YUka being her coach. I think Yuka's father will be good as the main coach and a few tech/ spin coaches to include Lucindah for spins (she speaks Japanese)
    What a great idea: Lucinda Ruh as a spin coach. She does indeed speak Japanese. In fact, I remember from a long-ago fluff piece on a televised pro competition (Landover, I think) that Yuka herself said that Lucinda's Japanese was fluent enough to have a conversation. Lucinda's father's business career took him to both Japan and the U.S. for several years at a time. I think Mao is gifted enough to benefit from spin training. Another wish-fulfillment idea...pigs might fly before it happens, but it's fun to imagine how it would go.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by sodessss View Post
    My English is not good enough to translate but I think 'socially inept' is not that quit inappropriate.
    I know it's difficult to translate "奥手" (okute) into English. I think it means people who are too shy for relationships.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by jasminum View Post
    I know it's difficult to translate "奥手" (okute) into English. I think it means people who are too shy for relationships.

Oh,I appriciate it. It sounds better though I still think my translating was't that bad. BTW, I hope Mao's mom find her daughter not only a proper coach but also a sweet boyfriend. It could enrich her skating and her life either.

On the Ice
    BTW, I hope Mao's mom find her daughter not only a proper coach but also a sweet boyfriend. It could enrich her skating and her life either.
    I meant it for a joke. OK I'll save it.

Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    I'm not happy with all the Mao's mom bashing. Mao's mom is really wise and quite an expert in skating. She knows everything about Mao. She always accompany her daughter and watches carefully her trainning on and off ice everyday. She fired Arutunian because he didn't respect Mao's mom's expertise in skating and jumps layout. If athletes parents know about their kids than coaches do then let them do their jobs.
    Well I actually think that Mao's mom may have too big of a say. She may be wise, but is she wiser than the best coaches out there? I recall that she was influential in scrapping Lori Nichol, a move considered unwise by many posters here, and, if I recall correctly, she was also the one who was adamant on having TAT for Mao, a second move considered very unwise. But this matter does not concern just Mao's mom. Skating moms out there often overestimate their expertise and get involved in every aspect, often against the coaches' wishes and to the detriment of their children. True, I don't know Mao's affairs in an out, so I might be taking a false step here and there. But from what I've been able to gather, that's been my impression. I just wish skaters would march to the beat of their own drums and do what they feel is right. Mao's an adult now. She should take bolder strides to improve her skating, even if that means leaving her country.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast