2011 Tokyo Worlds | Golden Skate

2011 Tokyo Worlds

I just received an e-mail from one of the Groups I travel with. Does everyone know about this? and what do you think of it?

Frosch International Travel, Inc.(formerly Bryan International Travel Inc.)700 Airport Boulevard, Suite 360Burlingame, CA 94010Tel: 1-800-234-6432 or 650-685-2306

Dear Friends, In a “normal” year, you would now be reading our brochure for the 2011 World Figure Skating Championships in Tokyo and its associated tours by now. However, this is not a normal year. The International Skating Union (ISU) has chosen this time to review several aspects of the overall championships. They have eliminated the Compulsory Dance event, and are now debating whether also to restrict the overall number of entries into other events. The number of entries in the ladies’ and men’s single events has increased each year, and two full days of competition time have been required to reduce the number of competitors from 50+ to the 24 who skate the short and long programs. Eliminating these preliminary rounds and the Compulsory Dance event should reduce the overall length of the competition by about 2 full days.

As a result of these deliberations in the ISU, the organizing committee in Tokyo has neither the dates nor timetable for the event. They are also unable to set the cost of the tickets or block hotel space since both depend on the dates and length of the competition. The ISU is scheduled to decide these issues by mid-June 2010. Until these decisions are made, however, we have no choice but to delay issuing our brochure. Hopefully, you will receive it before the end of June.

In the meantime, we want to call attention to some other special tours that we are offering. In May 2011, we invite you to join our a group to “The Imperial Cities of Eastern Europe & Poland,’ May 22-June 12, 2011. This tour spends 9 nights in Budapest, Vienna and Prague, continues into Poland for 8 nights and Berlin for 3 nights—20 nights/21 days in all. A copy of our brochure for this tour is attached. If you have problems opening the attachment, please contact us at 800-234-6432. Our pre-tour in Japan will visit the fascinating southernmost island of Kyusu with its volcanic landscapes, to see Nagasaki, Fukuoka, Dazaifu, YanagawaAmari, and more. After Worlds, we depart for a tour to “China’s Ancient Silk Road,” visiting the major sites in Western China that lay along this historic route. Details of these tours will be included in our Worlds 2011 brochure, which will be sent along as soon as it becomes available.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. Joan HarryJoan Burns Harry Todd

Last edited by a moderator:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, it is part of the mammoth new round of proposals that this ISU is voting on in mid June.

I am particularly distressed that the option the technical committee appears to be favoring is a mess of a thing that sort of combines the OD and a Golden Waltz CD in one event.

A portion of the items being discussed are being hashed out in the ISU/Single Skaters thread, but some of the most insidious problems come from the qualifications for Olympics and Worlds and the changes in age for juniors that will affect negatively an entire group of skaters (and particularly dancers and pair teams) who should have been vying for Jr GPF and Jr World titles this year and instead are going to be thrown into the senior pool with no entre to GP events, and so reduced to regionals/sectionals, without being able to get the qualifying scores to even compete at Worlds without going to Senior B event or something like that, and no senior B events are held in North America.

I haven't digested all this stuff yet-I have to read it again to make sure I haven't gotten it all wrong, but it is fairly apocalyptic.

Thanks Doris for your input. Did you think it affects the number of days for the Worlds if one is planning to see it all? There is also planned a decrease in the number of contestants. I have no objection to that but I wonder why they are cutting out some competitors.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Reducing the number of days they have to rent the arena may well be the goal of the reduced number of competitors in the finals, but there is also a proposal about putting back a qualifying round, and the CD will be eliminated, almost surely. We won't know till they all vote. Mid to late June, I think.