Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 149

Thread: Rachael defers Stanford, skates for another year?

  1. #31
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    27,061
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Is that a joke, MM? Shizuka looks so slim and elegant in that picture to me! as so impressive.
    Indeed! No joke intended, though. Shizuka is bigger than Sasha (I think) and they both have outstanding posture.

  2. #32
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Yes exactly, Sasha is teeny tiny according to just about anyone, and doesn't look that great in that picture/dress. I really like the style of Rachael's prom dress, a skating dress in a style like that would look very nice on her I think.
    Silverlake - you never cease to amaze me with your opinions about Sasha

    I was kidding - and think that Sasha looks stunning in the picture I posted.

    The picture mathman posted of Shiz is also stunning.

    And I also agree that Rachael in her prom dress looks great.

    You had said before everyone looks fat or chunky at times.
    Sasha never, ever looks fat or chunky.

  3. #33
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    201
    How this thread is just feeding the eating disorders and the idea that only a certain body type is acceptible. Tiny men and women are becoming the norm. Obviously certain ethnic groups have the advantage then. Cohen chunky? Puh-lease! Flatt is fine. Her posture is a little poor but then Dorothy will help I'm sure. There is room for real shapely women with meat on their bones. Anyone wanna say Dorothy is fat now too? I guess Janet Lynn was just too pudgy to be a truly great skater!
    Last edited by princess9; 05-05-2010 at 06:55 PM.

  4. #34
    - * - blue_idealist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,663
    She has the jumps. She really needs to work on general presentation, speed, spins.. what everyone else said. She isn't fat though. In my latest International Figure Skating magazine, she's pictured with Mirai and they're about the same size. I think that it's her extreme paleness that makes her look fatter than she really is. Her body fat percentage might be a bit higher than some of the skaters, who have larger frames and lower body fat percentages at the same weight (like Joannie Rochette), but it's not like she's dripping with rolls. I read that she was 115 lbs and Joannie is 117. It's crazy how much lighter the skaters look in person. I thought Joannie was like 135 lbs when I saw her on tv, but in real life she's tiny.

  5. #35
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    You sound like you are blaming Rachael that none of Mirai, Ashley, Sasha, Christina, Amanda, Bebe, Alexe, Emily, Alissa, Caroline, Melissa, Becky, Samantha, Laney, Kristiene. Blake, Chelsea, Christin-Marua, Tatyana, Ellie, Rebecca, and Kayla -- that none of these beat Rachael at U.S. Nationals and then went on to win the Olympics and Worlds?

    Rachael and Mirai did the best they could. Neither was Peggy Fleming or Dorothy Hamill. Where were the rest of the U.S. ladies?
    Two thoughts will never change in my mind when it comes to skating.
    1. Michelle won in Nagano.
    2. Mirai won the 2010 US Natl championship on the ice.
    What happened in the "backroom" does not change my mind.
    I will go with Button and Hamilton's view over that of a few posters at GS who disagree with me.

  6. #36
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    27,061
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Sasha never, ever looks fat or chunky.
    Here's that chunky chick right here:

    http://www.listown.com/images/group/...0422113915.jpg

  7. #37
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    201
    Gee, I thought Tara Lipinski won! And it was a great, memorable, lights out performance! Michelle is fabulous but techbically she was outskated. Tara was great. Rachael was great at nationals. The judges do care about consistency. I think the podium was fair. No one wuz robbed at Nagano or the nationals.

  8. #38
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    27,061
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    2. Mirai won the 2010 US Natl championship on the ice.
    What happened in the "backroom" does not change my mind.

    I will go with Button and Hamilton's view over that of a few posters at GS who disagree with me.
    That wasn't the thrust of my post. Whoever should have won or not won, it is not fair to complain that such-and-such skater is not Peggy Fleming and for that reason is an unworthy champion.
    Last edited by Mathman; 05-05-2010 at 07:12 PM.

  9. #39
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by princess9 View Post
    How this thread is just feeding the eating disorders and the idea that only a certain body type is acceptible. Tiny men and women are becoming the norm. Obviously certain ethnic groups have the advantage then. Cohen chunky? Puh-lease! Flatt is fine. Her posture is a little poor but then Dorothy will help I'm sure. There is room for real shapely women with meat on their bones. Anyone wanna say Dorothy is fat now too? I guess Janet Lynn was just too pudgy to be a truly great skater!
    THANK YOU, Princess9!! Skating is not like ballet. Yes, it requires artistry and elegance ,but that can be done by anyone. But to become the best ballerina, you must have a certain type of legs and hips. My friend's daughter was rejected at age 9 by one of the very best ballet compeny in Russia because of that. Rachael needs to work on presentation and speed etc, but to me she is one of the best skaters out there and She looks fine with the way she is.
    Last edited by PROKOFIEV; 05-05-2010 at 07:14 PM.

  10. #40
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by princess9 View Post
    Gee, I thought Tara Lipinski won! And it was a great, memorable, lights out performance! Michelle is fabulous but techbically she was outskated. Tara was great. Rachael was great at nationals. The judges do care about consistency. I think the podium was fair. No one wuz robbed at Nagano or the nationals.
    It was lights out alright - for a certain group of judges.

  11. #41
    Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,880
    If it's not like ballet, why do they wear those tiny spangly little dresses and all that makeup?

    It's not just like tennis or golf, there's a performance/presentation aspect to it.

    If they got rid of that and called it ice jumping we wouldn't be discussing Rachael's appearance.

    And IMO thin has always been "in" (as in "you can never be too rich or too thin") in the US - just look at 1930s movies -- it's fat that's becoming fashionable as Americans get heavier.

  12. #42
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    If it's not like ballet, why do they wear those tiny spangly little dresses and all that makeup?

    It's not just like tennis or golf, there's a performance/presentation aspect to it.

    If they got rid of that and called it ice jumping we wouldn't be discussing Rachael's appearance.

    And IMO thin has always been "in" (as in "you can never be too rich or too thin") in the US - just look at 1930s movies -- it's fat that's becoming fashionable as Americans get heavier.
    If you are expecting ballerina to skate, then some one like Ashley Wagner should not be on the ice either. She is way too masculine. When I saw her the first time, I was really suprised. She is definitely not a ballerina type.

  13. #43
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by #1Kerryfan View Post
    Hey, that's not very nice!

    I think she can improve her skating though, she didn't medal or even make top 5 at Worlds or Olys and finished lower than last year at Worlds. She also didn't qualify for the GPF, so I can see why she'd want to compete another year.
    All the commentators placed Flatt in 5th in Vancouver and felt she was not scored fairly. She seemed to rotate her flips but they decided to place a couple other skaters higher. I think Flatt was amazing in her first Olympics and skated well for a US champion. Her legs aren't beautiful. But then not every skater has gams like Miki Ando. Most don't.

  14. #44
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by PROKOFIEV View Post
    If you are expecting ballerina to skate, then some one like Ashley Wagner should not be on the ice either. She is way too masculine. When I saw her the first time, I was really suprised. She is definitely not a ballerina type.
    Huh? I do not see anything masculine about her! She is no skinny sasha or mao butterfly, but masculine? I think she's lovely!

  15. #45
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by princess9 View Post
    Huh? I do not see anything masculine about her! She is no skinny sasha or mao butterfly, but masculine? I think she's lovely!
    She is truly lovely!! I know, but if you see her close, she is really really masculine. Her body is full of muscles and you know what ? There is nothing wrong with that. My point is everyone has different type of body and that should be ok for figure skating.
    Last edited by PROKOFIEV; 05-05-2010 at 09:18 PM.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •