Rachael defers Stanford, skates for another year? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Rachael defers Stanford, skates for another year?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Rachael has mentioned deferring for just ONE year. I don't see that much difference between an 18-year-old freshman and a 19-year-old one. Rachael will have her "full freshman college experience", just a year later than some other freshmen.

ITA. Rachael is also young for her grade at school, born late July '92, so even after deferring a year she will still be around the same age as many freshmen who didn't defer a year, plus Rachael also looks very young, I don't think putting off college 1 year will be a big issue for her.

John King

Final Flight
Perhaps Rachael's presant figure is due to the well known fact that she juggles skating and academics, and perhaps the year off from University will give the chance to concentrate more on the skating.

princess9

On the Ice
? her figure is petite. she does not have very muscular thighs but every body is different in skating and many body types have done well. although short people have the advantage. that's why it is refreshing to seea tall guy like Lysacek do the jumps and have long lean lines. Not since Cousins have we seen such a tall guy in the sport.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
? her figure is petite. she does not have very muscular thighs but every body is different in skating and many body types have done well. although short people have the advantage. that's why it is refreshing to seea tall guy like Lysacek do the jumps and have long lean lines. Not since Cousins have we seen such a tall guy in the sport.

What about girls? Have we ever had a very tall women's world or olympic champion (and when i say tall, Shizuka, Sarah, Yuna, Mao don't count because they are all 5'4" or 5'5" and while that may be tall for skating or for certain countries, for us normal folks it's average)

princess9

On the Ice
No, I don't think we have had anyone taller than ladies you mentioned. Lucinda Ruh was tall and a great skater but not great jumper. She had everything else tho, best spinner ever.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
No, I don't think we have had anyone taller than ladies you mentioned. Lucinda Ruh was tall and a great skater but not great jumper. She had everything else tho, best spinner ever.

Lucinda Ruh is gorgeous. Well then, maybe Agnes Zawadzki will be the first, 5'6" at 15 and her jumps are really solid.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Lisa Marie Allen was 5'10" or taller. She was able to land as many triples as everyone else in her day and IMHO was gypped out of a national title AND a couple international medals.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Lisa Marie Allen was 5'10" or taller. She was able to land as many triples as everyone else in her day and IMHO was gypped out of a national title AND a couple international medals.

Oh wow, that's really tall! For men, 6'2" is 95th percentile and for ladies 95th percentile is 5'9", looking at things that way, it's truly amazing Evan is our Olympic champion, he is very, very tall indeed. You often hear about how Phanuef and Kostner are so tall, but at 5'6"-5'7", they aren't nearly as tall for a woman as Lysacek is for a man. I know height does not seem to be as big of an issue for men, but when small men like Oda and Takahashi (both about 5'5" and 120-130 pounds) are doing so well in the sport, you have to wonder. Chan, Kozuka, Brezina, Rippon are all fairly small as well, Evan looks like a giant in comparison.

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
I love Lucinda Ruh. I would love to take a spin class from her. I could watch her and Alissa Czisny spin for days :)