Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Rachael defers Stanford, skates for another year?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrlmy View Post
    I haven't heard anyone say that for such a long time

It would be silly to suggest she is anything but slender, but she is definitely not as toned as other athletes. I think that's what silverlake22 was trying to say.
    Yes exactly, she is anything but fat but she isn't as slender as the tiny asian ladies or as visibly muscular/toned as skaters like Rochette and Wagner or as tall as the elgant Euro ladies like Kostner, Korpi, Lepisto. Her waist is clearly small with no fat on it as you can see in the prom pic but I actually think her costumes this year made her look bigger than she is, whereas last year they didn't. I also think the posture doesn't help either and she does have a very small frame so she doesn't look as imposing on the ice as some other skaters.

Down With It
    Well, you know what they say...the camera adds 10 (?) lbs.

It's laughable that some armchair fans would even THINK of calling or insinuating that these people are fat or chunky or whatever. When you actually see these skaters in person it gets even more ridiculous.

I can only imagine what it's like in the actual skating community. And image issues are inevitably present in any event that requires you to "look good" for lack of a better term.

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Out of curiosity what did you think Rachael was supposed to be in her LP?
    Supposed to "be?" I didn't think she was trying to be anything. (In partular, not Jane Seymour in Somewhere in Time. )

I think she was just herself, a figure skater delivering a solid performance to good music.

Here she is at Nationals. She looks fine in red, IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XsVPLO9oVw

Custom Title
    In my eyes, Rachel is the most well-rounded and confident skater. She is very confident with herself. I am sure she eats really well and happy with herself. I just am happy that she decided to make this decition to focus on skating this year. I will cheer for her all the way!!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Well, you know what they say...the camera adds 10 (?) lbs.

It's laughable that some armchair fans would even THINK of calling or insinuating that these people are fat or chunky or whatever. When you actually see these skaters in person it gets even more ridiculous.

I can only imagine what it's like in the actual skating community. And image issues are inevitably present in any event that requires you to "look good" for lack of a better term.
    I don't think anyone thinks she IS fat or chunky or whatever, just in certain outfits she may look like she is, there is a big difference. Anyone can look fat/chunky/untoned with certain clothing, even if said person is very skinny or fit. Most people admit that the costumes are the problem, not Rachael's weight.

Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    I don't think anyone thinks she IS fat or chunky or whatever, just in certain outfits she may look like she is, there is a big difference. Anyone can look fat/chunky/untoned with certain clothing, even if said person is very skinny or fit. Most people admit that the costumes are the problem, not Rachael's weight.
    I guess you are right because look how chunky this skater looks in this outfitt:

http://www.scratchspin.com/2008/hotice08/0805377.jpg

Fortunately her good posture makes her look thinner
    Last edited by janetfan; 05-05-2010 at 04:35 PM.

^ It's the position of her feet and legs that makes Sasha look stunning in that picture.

Here is another skater with great posture, but more meat on her bones (Shizuka Arakawa):

http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/F...Y84YsIEEsl.jpg
    Last edited by Mathman; 05-05-2010 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Supposed to "be?" I didn't think she was trying to be anything. (In partular, not Jane Seymour in Somewhere in Time. )

I think she was just herself, a figure skater delivering a solid performance to good music.

Here she is at Nationals. She looks fine in red, IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XsVPLO9oVw

Here are a few skaters in a pretty red dresses winning the US Championship.
    Like just about every other US Lady champion these skaters also won World and Olympic medals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdPKgg8SGys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nAx6VeScsg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7S-RWyldI4

The color of the dress is not important but graceful skating with beautiful posture used to be part of what made up a US Lady champion.

Here we see the tradition carried on by this skater (in a red dress) at 2010 Natls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rJX0_QqCTE

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Is that a joke, MM? Shizuka looks so slim and elegant in that picture to me! I can't say the same for Rachael on the ice, although MM certainly posted a great picture of her off ice. Obviously a woman is much more exposed in a teeny-tiny little skating dress. She needs to tone up, get more flattering costumes and hairdos, pull her shoulders down, and lose 5 pounds off her hips.

As for the argument that all skaters are thin -- pooh. It's not as if they all look alike. Some are obviously heavier than others and the same skater can be slimmer or heavier depending on various things (like whether they're competing at the moment or not). There's no point applying "civilian" standards to questions of an athlete's or performer's weight. I'm 30 pounds heavier than a competitive figure skater - that doesn't make me blind.

Back to the topic, I totally understand Rachael's wanting to continue. I've not been a fan of her skating since her first year as a senior when her musicality was so impressive. http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...DYSglAfn8u2oAg I don't know why musicality would disappear just because she got a little taller and heavier, but I keep waiting for THAT Rachael to come back. She can go to college at 20 or 25 or whenever she wants, after she's gotten all she can get out of competing and seen how far she can push herself to improve. I think she would regret it if she stopped now.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    I guess you are right because look how chunky this skater looks in this outfitt:

http://www.scratchspin.com/2008/hotice08/0805377.jpg

Fortunately her good posture makes her look thinner
    Yes exactly, Sasha is teeny tiny according to just about anyone, and doesn't look that great in that picture/dress. I really like the style of Rachael's prom dress, a skating dress in a style like that would look very nice on her I think.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Is that a joke, MM? Shizuka looks so slim and elegant in that picture to me! I can't say the same for Rachael on the ice, although MM certainly posted a great picture of her off ice. Obviously a woman is much more exposed in a teeny-tiny little skating dress. She needs to tone up, get more flattering costumes and hairdos, pull her shoulders down, and lose 5 pounds off her hips.

As for the argument that all skaters are thin -- pooh. It's not as if they all look alike. Some are obviously heavier than others and the same skater can be slimmer or heavier depending on various things (like whether they're competing at the moment or not). There's no point applying "civilian" standards to questions of an athlete's or performer's weight. I'm 30 pounds heavier than a competitive figure skater - that doesn't make me blind.

Back to the topic, I totally understand Rachael's wanting to continue. I've not been a fan of her skating since her first year as a senior when her musicality was so impressive. http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...DYSglAfn8u2oAg I don't know why musicality would disappear just because she got a little taller and heavier, but I keep waiting for THAT Rachael to come back. She can go to college at 20 or 25 or whenever she wants, after she's gotten all she can get out of competing and seen how far she can push herself to improve. I think she would regret it if she stopped now.
    I agree, little Rachael was so cute.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hvYIYkNjfM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7rv4_Eu4g4
    My favorite performances of her's, she used to get so into her programs it was really cute!

Custom Title
    I really do not like how we have to talk about Rachael's figure. And how anyone can tell her how many pounds to loose. She is not a fashion model. She is an athlete. There exists no regulations as to how many pounds she has to be and how thin she has to look. It is ridiculous. I understand some does not like her skating but it should be nothing to do with her weight. To me, she looks a typical healthy teenager with a big confidence which reprents america where anyone can be anything.

The Future Mrs. Evan Lysacek #1Kerryfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Hey, that's not very nice!

I think she can improve her skating though, she didn't medal or even make top 5 at Worlds or Olys and finished lower than last year at Worlds. She also didn't qualify for the GPF, so I can see why she'd want to compete another year.

Quote Originally Posted by PROKOFIEV View Post
    In my eyes, Rachel is the most well-rounded and confident skater. She is very confident with herself. I am sure she eats really well and happy with herself. I just am happy that she decided to make this decition to focus on skating this year. I will cheer for her all the way!!!
    I did not mention weight or body type. I did mention posture and graceful skating.

But since you brought it up let's think about Dance and the world of ballet. Do top ballet dancers only have to be able to do the movements and steps - or is there also a degree of grace required?
    What about body types as well as height and weight? Can anybody be a professional dancer or are there physical requirements demanded by Directors and choreographers?

As long as skating has marks for PE, CH and IN it can not be considered a "sport " only.

When recently asked what she enjoyed most about skating, Yuna said she liked that it was sport and that it was also ART. Yuna likes the fact that music is involved and likes to interpret it.

If we ever get to "Ice jumping" or "ice spinning" then we would be judging athletic prowess. For now things like posture, a good line, graceful flow over the ice with good choreo and IN DO count.

How a skater presents all of this is part of the score along with jumps and spins.

Like just about every other US Lady champion these skaters also won World and Olympic medals.
    You sound like you are blaming Rachael that none of Mirai, Ashley, Sasha, Christina, Amanda, Bebe, Alexe, Emily, Alissa, Caroline, Melissa, Becky, Samantha, Laney, Kristiene. Blake, Chelsea, Christin-Marua, Tatyana, Ellie, Rebecca, and Kayla -- that none of these beat Rachael at U.S. Nationals and then went on to win the Olympics and Worlds?

Rachael and Mirai did the best they could. Neither was Peggy Fleming or Dorothy Hamill. Where were the rest of the U.S. ladies?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast