Team Khokhlova/ Novitski no longer exists | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Team Khokhlova/ Novitski no longer exists

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:think:Hold on.. I thought Jana not only requested the dissolution of her partnership with Sergei, but simultaneously, the formation of a partnership with Fedor. I mean, that's what the tapes were for...Wallylutz is right on (IMO) in regard to Piseev's ouster being a big deal..It just remains to be seen if this is a real change or a cosmetic one.

But again , it's interesting that in Vaitsehovksaya"s ( Sp?) article ,Piseev wasn't mentioned as being among those who were registering approval.( who knows whether he's seen the tapes or not ?Or whether his opinion would hold any sway...) The important names she singled out from the panel were Gorshkov ( head of the ISU technical committee), Tarasova and Ovsiannikov.

Everything is in flux...but I don't think the RSF would suppress I/K and B/S either...I think they'll allow a certain amount of jockeying for position among their teams in the next year or two ...

bekalc

Record Breaker
Jana has already made a formal request to Russian fed re: dissolving her partnership with Sergei. But I don't think it will last very long however. Like I said, 2 years at most. But that two years of time will probably be more than enough to suppress the young Russian teams and prevent the from getting enough exposure to be major factor in 2014. Keep in mind after 2006, the Olympic Champions retired, then the team who followed as World Champs, the Bulgarians, also retired / banned / jailed. By 2008, the field was wide open in Ice Dance for the first time in a long time. V/M and D/W's rise to the top of Ice Dance in 2010 was a combination of their personal perseverance, talent, favorable timing, change in the rules (IJS vs. 6.0) and luck. In the upcoming Olympic cycle, an analysis of the competitive environment would show that the 2 years miracle timeline suggested by bekalc is completely unrealistic because several of the factors present during the 2006-2010 period that led to V/M and D/W's rise are absent this time. The top teams have not retired - i.e. the field is not wide open or clear like the last cycle and the teams who retired are more or less inconsequential and for the Russians, there will be a veteran team who will be trying to hold on to their throne as opposed to stepping aside and let the young teams try their best. If no Russian team make it to the World podium by 2012, with 2013 Worlds widely expect to go to Canada, it would probably be too late for the Russians to regroup by 2014. Evgeny Platov's estimate is that it will need about 7~8 years of time from 2010. Hence, anybody who suggested 2 years is enough is, shall we say, completely unrealistic.

Well I wouldn't call Fedor/Jana a vetern team. They will have to prove themselves. The Russian federation will allow for jockeying. And second by 2014, the European federations will probably be more than happy to let a European dance team in the fold. And honestly, its not like I'm suggesting that I/K or B/S will go from 10 to 1st place in one year:laugh: I suspect that one of those teams will be in the top 5 in 2012 Nice at Worlds-if not earlier.

There's nothing vetern about Fedor ice dancing wise, and the Russian federation is hardly going to drop two young teams in favor of a team with an unproven male skater.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
But again , it's interesting that in Vaitsehovksaya"s ( Sp?) article ,Piseev wasn't mentioned as being among those who were registering approval.( who knows whether he's seen the tapes or not ?Or whether his opinion would hold any sway...) The important names she singled out from the panel were Gorshkov ( head of the ISU technical committee), Tarasova and Ovsiannikov.
I think she weas just talking about the skating potential of the team - quite apart from the political potential, which is where Piseev would have come in.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:unsure:/\ It wouldn't have been good for his back to be slinging Domnina about.

Edit :Oops! ptichka, there you are.. point taken re : skating v. politics...I don't know anywhere near enough about the RSF to have an informed opinion , but I wondered if those names might represent a power bloc of the future... a hint of which way the wind is likely to blow...

Last edited:

wallylutz

Medalist
Another important aspect that hasn't be discussed about the potential Jana + Fedor partnership (I am using their first names b/c her last name is kind of hard to spell) is the funding and prize money. Fedor is raised and grew up in a system where there is no state sponsored funding but where prize money belong almost entirely to the skaters. Jana, on the other hand, is fully expecting the RSF and her government to foot the expensive bill of training with Marina and Igor and pay for her expenses while she lives in the U.S. I don't know how this will play out but the money issue can be a problem. I think Fedor is going to bolt when he sees his hard earned money mostly going to the coffer of some Russian state sponsors while he gets almost nothing. He may be Russian born but he ain't Russian as far as mental preparation as a skater is concerned.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:laugh: wallylutz - the money thing is interesting isn't it ? Someone , somewhere, earlier on, was saying it looked like it was mainly the financial arrangements that were yet to be worked out. And I'm sure many people were thinking that meant how much of a discount Marina and Igor would be willing to give...but there may have to be some kind of different arrangement. maybe it's not all over but the signing..just all over but the haggling..;)

Edit: Hmmm..just re-thinking..it seems it would be a bit premature to worry too much about GP winnings..:laugh:

Last edited: