Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ashley Wagner Article

Ashley Wagner Article

Icenetwork article and quotes from Ashley.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Last edited by demarinis5; 05-05-2010 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    Icenetwork article and quotes from Ashley.
    Thanks. But the link seems missing.

Custom Title
    You can find the article here.
    Ashley's always been a hard worker; it's great that she turned around a bad season's end into something positive. If she's really cleaned up her lutz; that would be great and be an intense boost to her SP score. I really really hope she can finally become National Champion next season. And grasp some ISU Championship medals; she came close last season with a 4th place at the GPF.
    As a fan it's great to see her compare herself to Eldredge; she aspires a long career and what more can a fan want?

Custom Title
    So she does not go to college?

Custom Title
    As far as I know she's been attending some classes at community college this year and wants to get more serious about her further education next year; but I'm guessing she won't do a full course load, but she'll probably do more classes than she has been doing this year and start working towards a degree. The past season it was always her intention to put skating first; next season I think she'll try to balance it with academics. That's the gist I've been getting from her responses in interviews on that subject.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Very nice to hear about her working to get rid of the flutz. It shows much persistence and attention to detail. Once you get to such a high level, it must be hard to find the motivation to rework things rather than just stay in your comfort zone.

Good luck to Ashley!

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    I really like Ashley's skating , I'm very glad she's sounding so gung-ho. Her programs and her costumes last year were a treat , I'm looking forward to more.

Custom Title
    I think Scott Hamilton was right during his Nationals commentary when he said that Ashley wanted it a little too badly and that that made her pre-anticipate her lutz that she fell on. I sort of feel the same way-- whenever she jumps I always want to tell her to go easy and let the jumps flow from her. She is a hard worker, but I think sometimes there's a limit to working hard on something and not letting a goal out of your sight. You can't always control everything even if all the planning would suggest positive results. I really hope she's still having fun out there; I know she pushes herself very hard. I just hope she will think less while skating her programs next season, have a little bit less intense choreography (this past season's was lovely but a little too jam packed-- even for COP imo), and let her program skate itself. I also hope she doesn't let effort on the lutz take away from other aspects of her skating. I think if she lets herself skate inward with less consciousness she will do very well. There's no question of whether she's got enough talent and potential-- I just worry she's put too much pressure on herself, although I know she thrives under it.
    Last edited by cornell08; 05-06-2010 at 02:53 AM.

Custom Title
    You know; you might be right about having too much choreography sometimes; especially her steps seem a bit laboured. It's fun to watch someone do steps with so much commitment and energy; but when compared to other step sequences I've liked the past sequence; sometimes less is more. I think she should follow the music more than worry about bending and strectching her body in all different positions during steps. Have more of a mixture between emphasis on certain musical cues and gliding more relaxed.. I do like that she has lots of 'transitions'; I like how her jumps often come out of nowhere.

She's feisty. I like that.

Does anybody see a few similarities between Joannie and Ashley? Joannie always had the talent and determination but she might be considered more of a late bloomer. Perhaps Ashley, unlike many skaters who hit their peak at 18-19 is still developing.

If Ashley were ever to put a strong SP and LP together she would become much more formidable.
    Maybe this will be her year and if she can eliminate her problems in the SP I see no reason why she can't contend or win Natls and do even better on the GP circuit.

She sounds determined and I hope this will be a strong season for her.

Quote Originally Posted by cornell08 View Post
    I think Scott Hamilton was right during his Nationals commentary when he said that Ashley wanted it a little too badly and that that made her pre-anticipate her lutz that she fell on. I sort of feel the same way-- whenever she jumps I always want to tell her to go easy and let the jumps flow from her. She is a hard worker, but I think sometimes there's a limit to working hard on something and not letting a goal out of your sight. You can't always control everything even if all the planning would suggest positive results. I really hope she's still having fun out there; I know she pushes herself very hard. I just hope she will think less while skating her programs next season, have a little bit less intense choreography (this past season's was lovely but a little too jam packed-- even for COP imo), and let her program skate itself. I also hope she doesn't let effort on the lutz take away from other aspects of her skating. I think if she lets herself skate inward with less consciousness she will do very well. There's no question of whether she's got enough talent and potential-- I just worry she's put too much pressure on herself, although I know she thrives under it.
    To me she tended to look sort of in rush towards the end of LP.

On the Ice
    Oh, I love Ashely. I wish her good luck in her whole career,hopefully as successful as her idol Mao Asada.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Fixing her lutz will be a big job and I doubt it will be clean by October, but I am glad that is realizes it is imperitive to work on it. I think she should start training the 2 Axel/3 toe since she has such a strong double Axel.

Her programs last year were just excellent for her and very unique, it will be interesting to see if she can top those.

Custom Title
    "Worlds was obviously a huge opportunity for me, so my placement was disappointing," she said. "A lot of people don't realize I skated after [defending champion] Miki Ando had that meltdown and walked off the ice [and withdrew]. I had no time to calm myself down. I was 16, and I just got caught up in nerves and the excitement of the moment. As time goes on, I'm getting stronger as a competitor."
    Not to nitpick...but...Miki didn't exactly have a "meltdown" and walked off the ice. She was injured and approached the judges to be excused. I found it heartbreaking.

But whether that situation affected Ashley has been questioned on the boards recently, and a very good point. That must have been hard at the moment for Ashley. We know how habitual skaters are, but I wonder how much time elapsed, it wasn't like Miki didn't show up and Ashley was rushed to center ice. Reminded me a bit of when Michelle had to take the ice after that streaker moment in 2005, but Michelle had years behind her so was able to refocus.

Glad to hear Ashley is eagerly looking forward for the next season to begin! I like that she knows she needs to fix her Lutz and would really benefit from another combo like a 3f/3t or 2a/3t. If she truly can fix her Lutz enough to avoid an "E" call and also add another combo, she will be in GREAT shape!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast