Ashley Wagner Article | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner Article

Trewyn

Medalist
You can find the article here.
Ashley's always been a hard worker; it's great that she turned around a bad season's end into something positive. If she's really cleaned up her lutz; that would be great and be an intense boost to her SP score. I really really hope she can finally become National Champion next season. And grasp some ISU Championship medals; she came close last season with a 4th place at the GPF.
As a fan it's great to see her compare herself to Eldredge; she aspires a long career and what more can a fan want?

Trewyn

Medalist
As far as I know she's been attending some classes at community college this year and wants to get more serious about her further education next year; but I'm guessing she won't do a full course load, but she'll probably do more classes than she has been doing this year and start working towards a degree. The past season it was always her intention to put skating first; next season I think she'll try to balance it with academics. That's the gist I've been getting from her responses in interviews on that subject.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Very nice to hear about her working to get rid of the flutz. It shows much persistence and attention to detail. Once you get to such a high level, it must be hard to find the motivation to rework things rather than just stay in your comfort zone.

Good luck to Ashley!

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I really like Ashley's skating , I'm very glad she's sounding so gung-ho. Her programs and her costumes last year were a treat , I'm looking forward to more.

cornell08

Final Flight
I think Scott Hamilton was right during his Nationals commentary when he said that Ashley wanted it a little too badly and that that made her pre-anticipate her lutz that she fell on. I sort of feel the same way-- whenever she jumps I always want to tell her to go easy and let the jumps flow from her. She is a hard worker, but I think sometimes there's a limit to working hard on something and not letting a goal out of your sight. You can't always control everything even if all the planning would suggest positive results. I really hope she's still having fun out there; I know she pushes herself very hard. I just hope she will think less while skating her programs next season, have a little bit less intense choreography (this past season's was lovely but a little too jam packed-- even for COP imo), and let her program skate itself. I also hope she doesn't let effort on the lutz take away from other aspects of her skating. I think if she lets herself skate inward with less consciousness she will do very well. There's no question of whether she's got enough talent and potential-- I just worry she's put too much pressure on herself, although I know she thrives under it.

Last edited:

Trewyn

Medalist
You know; you might be right about having too much choreography sometimes; especially her steps seem a bit laboured. It's fun to watch someone do steps with so much commitment and energy; but when compared to other step sequences I've liked the past sequence; sometimes less is more. I think she should follow the music more than worry about bending and strectching her body in all different positions during steps. Have more of a mixture between emphasis on certain musical cues and gliding more relaxed.. I do like that she has lots of 'transitions'; I like how her jumps often come out of nowhere.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Does anybody see a few similarities between Joannie and Ashley? Joannie always had the talent and determination but she might be considered more of a late bloomer. Perhaps Ashley, unlike many skaters who hit their peak at 18-19 is still developing.

If Ashley were ever to put a strong SP and LP together she would become much more formidable.
Maybe this will be her year and if she can eliminate her problems in the SP I see no reason why she can't contend or win Natls and do even better on the GP circuit.

She sounds determined and I hope this will be a strong season for her.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I think Scott Hamilton was right during his Nationals commentary when he said that Ashley wanted it a little too badly and that that made her pre-anticipate her lutz that she fell on. I sort of feel the same way-- whenever she jumps I always want to tell her to go easy and let the jumps flow from her. She is a hard worker, but I think sometimes there's a limit to working hard on something and not letting a goal out of your sight. You can't always control everything even if all the planning would suggest positive results. I really hope she's still having fun out there; I know she pushes herself very hard. I just hope she will think less while skating her programs next season, have a little bit less intense choreography (this past season's was lovely but a little too jam packed-- even for COP imo), and let her program skate itself. I also hope she doesn't let effort on the lutz take away from other aspects of her skating. I think if she lets herself skate inward with less consciousness she will do very well. There's no question of whether she's got enough talent and potential-- I just worry she's put too much pressure on herself, although I know she thrives under it.
To me she tended to look sort of in rush towards the end of LP.

sodessss

Rinkside
Oh, I love Ashely. I wish her good luck in her whole career,hopefully as successful as her idol Mao Asada.:love:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Fixing her lutz will be a big job and I doubt it will be clean by October, but I am glad that is realizes it is imperitive to work on it. I think she should start training the 2 Axel/3 toe since she has such a strong double Axel.

Her programs last year were just excellent for her and very unique, it will be interesting to see if she can top those.

MKFSfan

Medalist
"Worlds was obviously a huge opportunity for me, so my placement was disappointing," she said. "A lot of people don't realize I skated after [defending champion] Miki Ando had that meltdown and walked off the ice [and withdrew]. I had no time to calm myself down. I was 16, and I just got caught up in nerves and the excitement of the moment. As time goes on, I'm getting stronger as a competitor."

Not to nitpick...but...Miki didn't exactly have a "meltdown" and walked off the ice. She was injured and approached the judges to be excused. I found it heartbreaking.

But whether that situation affected Ashley has been questioned on the boards recently, and a very good point. That must have been hard at the moment for Ashley. We know how habitual skaters are, but I wonder how much time elapsed, it wasn't like Miki didn't show up and Ashley was rushed to center ice. Reminded me a bit of when Michelle had to take the ice after that streaker moment in 2005, but Michelle had years behind her so was able to refocus.

Glad to hear Ashley is eagerly looking forward for the next season to begin! I like that she knows she needs to fix her Lutz and would really benefit from another combo like a 3f/3t or 2a/3t. If she truly can fix her Lutz enough to avoid an "E" call and also add another combo, she will be in GREAT shape!

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
She's feisty. I like that.

Yea. I think she's a special girl with a special personality. I liked the intensity of her skating and the fact she shows her love for the music. She's generally underrated, imo. If there were more Ashleys in figure skating, I would love this sport more.
I especially like her facial expression at the change of edge in the spiral.
It's cute to see her always so fierce and "over the top". She's a warrior! Go darling!

Trewyn

Medalist
Not to nitpick...but...Miki didn't exactly have a "meltdown" and walked off the ice. She was injured and approached the judges to be excused. I found it heartbreaking.

But whether that situation affected Ashley has been questioned on the boards recently, and a very good point. That must have been hard at the moment for Ashley. We know how habitual skaters are, but I wonder how much time elapsed, it wasn't like Miki didn't show up and Ashley was rushed to center ice. Reminded me a bit of when Michelle had to take the ice after that streaker moment in 2005, but Michelle had years behind her so was able to refocus.

Well, whatever defines 'meltdown'; bombing on your two opening jumps, stopping to skate and speaking to the judges in tears wasn't exactly a shining moment. If Miki hadn't shown up, Ashley would have known from the Warm-up; but this was very dramatic; Ashley was rushed to center ice as Miki left the ice (I can still Ashley and her coach stand there shocked and confused inches from where Miki, Morozov and every journalist in the building left the arena); of course she got a minute or so of on ice warm-up (the time skaters usually have when the previous skater waits for the score) but the whole arena was buzzing from shock because of the dramatic way in which Miki's season ended. The crowd was very subdued and Ashley must have been very impressed (in a bad way) by all that was going on. It's interesting because at the time she specifically stated that having to skate after Miki Ando was not the reason she skated badly (nerves and being over excited was said to be the cause). I guess now it's easier for her to say the difficulty of the situation and her age and inexperience to deal with that were the reason.

Anyway; I think 2008 Worlds was a major disappointment for her. Hopefully next season she'll *finally* get another shot at the Worlds stage.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Of course, and I agree with everything you posted. I also recalled her saying the same thing at the time, but I also would hope she wouldn't blame that incident because nothing bad happened to her, she just had to get on the ice earlier than she anticipated and it had to be quite a distraction. I just felt "meltdown, left the ice" sounded much more dramatic than,"Miki had an injury that prevented her from competing and had to with draw. It was very hard to compose myself at that moment." It was a big learning experience for Ashley. Not that this is the same thing...but there have been times when I'm showing my dogs or horses that the one in front of me had to be excused for whatever reason, and I know it takes me a few seconds longer to get focus than if the one in front of me had completed the course.

Hopefully if she makes the team next year, she has a much better time.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
The word was out long before Miki took the ice that she had sustained an injury. It was even floating around that Morozov had asked for withdrawal papers to be turned in. Miki apparently refused and tried to skate.

If I knew this before Miki skated it seems incomprehensible that Ashly and /or her coach did not know about it. Anyone scheduled to skate after Miki should have been prepared for her to either drop out after her warmup or to anticipate that she might not get through the whole program. And when Miki stopped she did not leave the ice immediately. She skated over to the judges, her coach, and then she did go back out to center ice to acknowledge the crowd. I felt bad for Miki and remember this pretty well.

Not saying this could not have effected Ashley - but it is hard to believe she was not prepared for the possibilty of coming out what - 2,3, or 4 minutes sooner for her warmup?

And contrary to "bombing" Miki showed some courage trying to skate. It was a sporting gesture to try and defend her World title and I am sure her fans and the people at the arena appreciated her effort.
I seem to recall the crowd was not quiet at all because they were giving Miki a very nice and well deserved ovation.

ETA: Here is a clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KS2TBOR1nE

Last edited: