Ashley Wagner Article | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner Article

Trewyn

Medalist
It was awful! For Miki I mean; so sad. And yes, Ashley must have been aware about the withdrawal rumours surroundnig Miki. That's why I don't think for Ashley it was a matter of lack of warm-up time or anything; but more the drama of what was happening. She lost her focus; she messed up; hopefully next Worlds she'll do better. I don't think she 'blames' Miki, if anything she blames herself. I just think she's putting it in perspective; when you've messed up something that you were totally prepared for it's a shock and it's easier if you can pinpoint something that caused it, even if it really just happened and things like that happen to all skaters; it's just something that you can only hope to improve on by experience.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I said well before Nats that I hope she wouldn't fall victim to wanting the victory/ticket too bad. I thought Wagner actually did very well at Nats. It's just that on those nights, Flatt and Nagasu were exceptional. And of course, any other Oly year it would have been good enough to earn that trip. Almost tragically, for her what goes around comes around- in 2008, the year we lost three spots, wasn't she the lowest-place finisher??

I like her ambition though. Makes her stand out among a sea of umms, aahs, and "just here to have fun"ners.

Last edited:

princess9

On the Ice
I said well before Nats that I hope she wouldn't fall victim to wanting the victory/ticket too bad. I thought Wagner actually did very well at Nats. It's just that on those nights, Flatt and Nagasu were exceptional. And of course, any other Oly year it would have been good enough to earn that trip. Almost tragically, for her what goes around comes around- in 2008, the year we lost three spots, wasn't she the lowest-place finisher??

I like her ambition though. Makes her stand out among a sea of umms, aahs, and "just here to have fun"ners.

Yes, we like her fire and she's a very good and interesting skater. I think she's here for the long haul. I truly hope she does well.

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice
I have seen Ashley skate in person several times. She is a great jumper and her spins improved so much. But she lacks of basic skating skills. I am very sorry to say this way but she does not have a good feel of ice, therefore, she has to put extra effort for footworks and I think her choreographer makes programs for her so that they will not show much of simple skating skills or edge works. Even her cross over or simple stroking is not as smooth as some other top skaters. However, her program is always with full of energy and passion which makes up for the lack of some skills. And I think she still has a great future and hopefully she will improve more. Since she does not seem to be focusing on school for now, I am sure she will get better and better. Good luck. Ashley!!

I think Priscilla Hill knows how to handle her. Hill is probably not everyone's coach choice, but she has a storehouse of good junior skaters (think Johnny Weir) which I expect will become forum fans. Hill also was second to Hamil in days past.

I enjoy good skating even if there is no medal to behold. Ashley is a good skater.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Here is Priscilla in her Worlds debut back in 1978. She was coached at the time by Carlo Fassi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHEz5iYrGhI

I think many of today's fans know her best for her coaching of Johnny and now Ashley but she had a nice skating career and competed for a decade at US Natls.

From Wiki:

"Priscilla Hill passed her eighth figure test and gold freestyle test at the age of nine, possibly the youngest person ever to do so. In 1972, at age 11, she was the youngest senior woman ever to compete at the United States Figure Skating Championships."

She won the bronze medal at the U. S. Figure Skating Championships in 1978 and the silver in 1981. In 1975 she landed a triple loop in competition, at the Prague Skate in Czechoslovakia. She finished 9th at the 1978 World Figure Skating Championships and 7th in 1981. She missed the 1980 Olympic season due to injury and was not able to challenge for a spot on the Olympic team.

Last edited:
Thank you for the link, JF. I've never seen her skate comps before. With the exception of virtually no transitions, she was very musical and very much a contender and that Layback Spin is gorgeous. I hope we get to see Juniors this season. She has talented kids in those comps.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Does anybody see a few similarities between Joannie and Ashley? Joannie always had the talent and determination but she might be considered more of a late bloomer. Perhaps Ashley, unlike many skaters who hit their peak at 18-19 is still developing.

If Ashley were ever to put a strong SP and LP together she would become much more formidable.
Maybe this will be her year and if she can eliminate her problems in the SP I see no reason why she can't contend or win Natls and do even better on the GP circuit.

She sounds determined and I hope this will be a strong season for her.

I can see that. Like Joannie, I don't think Ashley will ever be a phenom like Yuna or Mao or Michelle Kwan back in her day. But Ashley has great qualities - very watchable skater - and she shows no sign of burning out. Quite the opposite. I see no reason to underestimate her, and I would love to see her break out like Joannie did.

R.D.

Record Breaker
To my surprise, Wagner has been steadily developing into a rather consistent skater. If she can conquer her SP demons and stay in good health, she'll continue to be a formidable threat for the US title. But I fear if Nagasu really gets her act together, Wagner would be bridesmaid even in the best of circumstances. And the rule changes reducing penalty for URs might make it harder for Wagner to gain ground on Nagasu even on the former's best night.

And of course, Wagner must contend with the ever so steady Flatt, which she has yet to beat at Nationals.

Of course, and I agree with everything you posted. I also recalled her saying the same thing at the time, but I also would hope she wouldn't blame that incident because nothing bad happened to her, she just had to get on the ice earlier than she anticipated and it had to be quite a distraction. I just felt "meltdown, left the ice" sounded much more dramatic than,"Miki had an injury that prevented her from competing and had to with draw. It was very hard to compose myself at that moment." It was a big learning experience for Ashley. Not that this is the same thing...but there have been times when I'm showing my dogs or horses that the one in front of me had to be excused for whatever reason, and I know it takes me a few seconds longer to get focus than if the one in front of me had completed the course.

Hopefully if she makes the team next year, she has a much better time.
Getting on the ice early or should I say forced to get on the ice earlier is worth a discussion. That lovely Canadian skater was thrushed onto the ice when Tonya Harding went to fix her shoe laces. I don't think it is that easy to skate when you don't expect to because of someone else's problems, but maybe some others can clue me in.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Sometimes it brings out the best in you. It did in Dorothy Hamill when she won the worlds in 1974.