Maria Mukhortova's new partner | Golden Skate

Maria Mukhortova's new partner

mousepotato

On the Ice
My Russian is terrible, but from what I gathered they will. I'm happy she found a partner. There were pictures in another article where she was smiling from ear to ear, it was nice to see that but I couldn't tell who the guy was.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I believe that Vasillev said that Maria and any new partner would represent Russia. Hope it works out for their sake. What is Russian nationals going to be like? Kavaguti/Smirnov, Volosozhar/Trankov, Murhktova/Blanchard plus the younger teams of all Russian pairs.

wallylutz

Medalist
How easy would it be for Blanchard to obtain Russian citizenship if the pair wants to compete in the next Olympic Games?

gmyers

Record Breaker
Kavaguti and Smirnov teamed up in 2006 and Kavaguti got citizenship in 2009 I think so it shouldn't be too hard for them to get to the Olympics in 2014.

mousepotato

On the Ice
As far as the two new pairs, I don't know if they are eligible to compete the first year. I don't know what the official rules are.

I thought V/T can't compete until Worlds 2011 and M/B should be able to start right away. Is this correct or do I have my rules wrong.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Years ago, Blanchard was briefly teamed up with Valeria Vorobieva, but nothing ever came of the partnership. Another pairing with Rinata Araslanova also aborted in the early stages. In both cases, there seemed to be a problem with one country to release the skater to skate for the other country.

Blanchard is now 28 and will turn 29 in July, and hasn't skated competitively in years.

I'd be shocked if this pairing is successful.

As for eligibility to skate internationally, there should be no problem since Blanchard has been away from competition for so many years. They can compete in the GP, but can get an original invitation only as a host pick. They can be on the alternate list to fill any vacancies due to withdrawals, as well.

For Volosozhar/Trankov, they must wait to compete until a year has passed since Tatiana skated for Ukraine. V/M last skated competitively at Europeans 2010, 1/19-1/24. This season, Europeans will be held 1/24-30, so it may even be technically possible for V/T to skate at 2011 Europeans. But they cannot compete in the GP this season.

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Blanchard is considerably weaker than Trankov. I pronounce this pair DOA. :(. Poor Maria.

oleada

Record Breaker
For Volosozhar/Trankov, they must wait to compete until a year has passed since Tatiana skated for Ukraine. V/M last skated competitively at Europeans 2010, 1/19-1/24. This season, Europeans will be held 1/24-30, so it may even be technically possible for V/T to skate at 2011 Europeans. But they cannot compete in the GP this season.

V/M skated at the Olympics; so their earliest debut would be Worlds.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
There are some pics on youtube from the skating with the stars show - I'm impressed with Blanchard's Russian, I must say.