Yuzuru Hanyu has a Quad | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu has a Quad

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Wow. That's a +2 GOE. His knee bend is very much like Oda, but the jump looks really secure. Fist pump = +1 GOE.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Good for him but will he put it in a competition? How does doing a quad effect his spins and footwork and doing jumps after the halfway point in a free skate? I am just thinking of the fact that Brezina does a great one and hasn't done it in a competition. There are so many factors that must be considered now that the Olympic Gold medalists proved you dont need one.

Trewyn

Medalist
^^ The fist pump is so cute!! It probably isn't a consistent jump for him yet. But it looks great. I love how relaxed he is going into it; he looks so relaxed, dodging all these people; busy time at the rink! I hope we get to see him on the GP!

Bennett

Record Breaker
☆Genie;501324 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8EYy2MaWIs

Great flow in and out of the jump too.
He seems like another great jumper & skater from Japan ^^
Can't wait for the next season!
Wow he practices quads during public sessions as well. I also recall a clip showing Mao practicing 3A in a very crowded rink. Now it looks kind of scary to me. But it's been like that and they are used to it.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Does Japan have the best jump coaches or what?
According to Wiki, his coach (forgot her name, sorry for my short memory) used to be an assistant coach of Mr. Nagakubo who coached shiz, honda, and now akiko. This lady also choreographes for Shiz and Akiko, according to Wiki.

rtureck

Final Flight
Wow he practices quads during public sessions as well. I also recall a clip showing Mao practicing 3A in a very crowded rink. Now it looks kind of scary to me. But it's been like that and they are used to it.

The quad is amazing. I agree it looks scary.

Morning Glory

On the Ice
According to Wiki, his coach (forgot her name, sorry for my short memory) used to be an assistant coach of Mr. Nagakubo who coached shiz, honda, and now akiko. This lady also choreographes for Shiz and Akiko, according to Wiki.

She is Nanami Abe. She choreographed for Nana Takeda & Takahito Mura, too.

According to this profile (sorry, in Japanese only), she learned from TAT and Evgeny Platov how to teach.
http://www.geocities.jp/izumifsa/coach.htm

silverlake22

Record Breaker
This kid is ridiculous. It's like the male version of Mao as a young teenager, throwing 3a and 3-3 like they were doubles and doing that since age 12. Amazing :love:

Bennett

Record Breaker
She is Nanami Abe. She choreographed for Nana Takeda & Takahito Mura, too.

According to this profile (sorry, in Japanese only), she learned from TAT and Evgeny Platov how to teach.
http://www.geocities.jp/izumifsa/coach.htm

She seems to have been a student of Nagakubo and then after turing a pro skater, she worked as an assistant coach of Nagakubo, then became a coach/choreographer. She also spent 2003-4 season with Shizuka where she worked with TAT and Platov. Nagakubo students seem traditionally strong at jumps.

treeloving

Medalist
He is totally amazing. I think I just have read he will begin to learn quad for like 1 or 2 month ago and now he has it. Brovo to him and his coach.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Good for him but will he put it in a competition? How does doing a quad effect his spins and footwork and doing jumps after the halfway point in a free skate? I am just thinking of the fact that Brezina does a great one and hasn't done it in a competition. There are so many factors that must be considered now that the Olympic Gold medalists proved you dont need one.

I feel it is very unfortunate that Lysacek got injured because of quad practices and had to stop having that jump in his programme. I think though that it is necessary for a future skater to have a quad, but that is not all. A skater needs to have a great choreography and to shine on every other skating area, too.

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
Miki Ando had/has a Quad but we never saw it in competition.

Have you not seen her LP from the 2002 JGPF? She landed one there and it was ratified. She also landed one at the 2008 GPF, but it was downgraded.

:rolleye:

So, we did see it competition.

BRaZILIANSKaTER

Rinkside
Good for him but will he put it in a competition? How does doing a quad effect his spins and footwork and doing jumps after the halfway point in a free skate? I am just thinking of the fact that Brezina does a great one and hasn't done it in a competition. There are so many factors that must be considered now that the Olympic Gold medalists proved you dont need one.[/QUOTE]

In Vancouver the quad was not needed in a field with a few men trying quads (and all men who did quads had mistakes on their programs, including Plushenko with his wild langing on the solo 3 axel and 3lutz combo). If Takahashi landed that quad I don´t know if Evan would be Olympic champion today. So my point is: the quad is very important!!! There is a generation of young men raising showing impressive quads.

Also I really hope to see more and more guys doing quads again as we used to see in the 1994-2004 era!!! Men fig. skating was so excinting at that time.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I feel it is very unfortunate that Lysacek got injured because of quad practices and had to stop having that jump in his programme. I think though that it is necessary for a future skater to have a quad, but that is not all. A skater needs to have a great choreography and to shine on every other skating area, too.

But because Lysacek showed that you don't need a quad people will be like "for competitions I will do triples and work on my spins and steps and just forget the quad." There is no reason to actually put the quad in a program if you can get all triples. Also why do a quad if you can move a triple after the halfway point and get the bonus. These are all the things that Lysaceks performance showed. No quads.

In Vancouver the quad was not needed in a field with a few men trying quads (and all men who did quads had mistakes on their programs, including Plushenko with his wild langing on the solo 3 axel and 3lutz combo). If Takahashi landed that quad I don´t know if Evan would be Olympic champion today. So my point is: the quad is very important!!! There is a generation of young men raising showing impressive quads.

Also I really hope to see more and more guys doing quads again as we used to see in the 1994-2004 era!!! Men fig. skating was so excinting at that time.

This is a very important point because the quad does a lot of time lead to mistakes. So Lysacek winning gold with triple jumps and five after the haflway point showed that doing a quad is not really smart. It takes a lot out of skaters and you can get enough points to do a gold medal without one. Plushenko did a quad triple and maybe the stress of that lead to the axel and lutz problems. And Takahashi fell on his quad. Lysacek had no quad and won gold. Olympic Gold. So a skater might try quads just because it was something in the past that impressed people but be like for competitions the "Gold standard" does not include a quad anymore. The quad will be for personal satisfaction but is vanishing rapidly from Gold medal winning skates. For competitions the quad is not smart to do. It does take too much out of a skater a lot of the time or is just really hard to land. Lysacek showed gold medalists don't do quads.

Last edited: