Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 158

Thread: Sarah Hughes

  1. #1
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    201

    Sarah Hughes

    I noticed photos of her on Icenetwork from Harvard's Evening of Champions. She is very thin again. Is Sarah skating a lot again? What is she doing since her graduation?

  2. #2
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,538
    If you're interested in keeping up with her, perhaps you should grab a Twitter account (if you don't have one already) and follow her on there. She's on there and she is active:

    www.twitter.com/SarahHughesNY

    She'll occasionally post pictures of various events in her life. Definitely recommended for any Sarah fan out there

    ETA: To get to the question asked, it's actually not quite clear but it seems from her tweets she is just enjoying life for the time being. I heard she was interested in law school though.
    Last edited by R.D.; 05-08-2010 at 10:14 PM.

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    201
    Thanks R.D. I'm just not of the twitter generation, tho. I'm wondering how she got so skinny unless she is skating a lot.

    Question: What would Sarah's score have looked like under COP? (oly gold skates). It was the most technically demanding ladies Oly skate up to that point. Is it still? Can you or some COP whiz break down that skate into COP points and compare to Yuna Kim?

  4. #4
    - * - blue_idealist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,770
    Quote Originally Posted by princess9 View Post
    Thanks R.D. I'm just not of the twitter generation, tho. I'm wondering how she got so skinny unless she is skating a lot.

    Question: What would Sarah's score have looked like under COP? (oly gold skates). It was the most technically demanding ladies Oly skate up to that point. Is it still? Can you or some COP whiz break down that skate into COP points and compare to Yuna Kim?
    I'm no COP expert, but I've seen tons of people on this board say that Sarah would have got many UR calls at the Olympics, and might have not won the gold medal under COP.

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,089
    It's so hard to compare a 6.0 program to COP programs, but I do think Sarah had some good aspects of her skating that would've helped her under COP. She included a COE spin. Her spirals and FW were pretty good. And she had lots of transitions in her programs. BUT she would've gotten hammered on her jumps. I think her salchow and axle are her most likely jumps to not be picked apart, probably also the toe, but the flip, (f)lutz and loop ending combos were iffy on URs.

    I do think, programs as they were, Sarah would've been so far out of 1st after the SP, her 4th was a big gift under either system.

  6. #6
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    If Sarah had skated in Vancouver and was treated as leniently as the other Ladies were I think she would have been in the running.
    I forget her SP and am only referring to her LP.

    I believe Sarah would have been given the benefit of the doubt on several of her jumps in Vancouver - just as Yuna, Mao, Mirai and Joannie were.

    NBC replayed Yuna's opening 3x3 and Scott mumbled - very close - and it was on both jumps. Mao suddenly had fully rotated 3A's in Vancouver and Joannie stepped out of a couple of jumps that were treated lightly by the tech panel.

    Who is to say how Sarah would have been judged? But we just can't forget she was skating under a different system and had the hardest program by FAR. Irina did not attempt a 3x3 let alone two of them and was a little sloppy herself on much easier jumps.

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    201
    It seems to me that Sarah (and Tara) had the sheer drive to try to be the best and do as much as they could tecnically. I think they both would flourish under any system. I still feel disappointed that we did not see them mature and compete hard for a few more years. We will never know, I guess.

  8. #8
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Here is what an Olympic champion looks like:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pun-ZjqUOLA

    One of the greatest Olympic free skates ever and under the pressure of home ice.
    She blew Michelle and Irina out of the building with this performance.

    As to 2010 - let's face it - Yuna, Mao and Joannie can't do the two 3x3's Sarah showed us. Was one short - don't kid yourselves fans - the Ladies were a bit short in Vancouver too.

    Olympic ice is not about geeks with microscopes taking apart a performance. It is about skating in the moment.

    I find all the criticism about Sarah laughable. She won and she won with great style, grace and guts.
    Last edited by janetfan; 05-10-2010 at 06:54 PM.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Here is what an Olympic champion looks like:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pun-ZjqUOLA

    One of the greatest Olympic free skates ever and under the pressure of home ice.
    She blew Michelle and Irina out of the building with this performance.

    As to 2010 - let's face it - Yuna, Mao and Joannie can't do the two 3x3's Sarah showed us. Was one short - don't kid yourselves fans - the Ladies were a bit short in Vancouver too.

    Olympic ice is not about geeks with microscopes taking apart a performance. It is about skating in the moment.

    I find all the criticism about Sarah laughable. She won and she won with great style, grace and guts.
    Have you seen the slow motion tape of her "3-3"s? Her triple loops were at least 3/4 underrotated

  10. #10
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by wonbinfan86 View Post
    Have you seen the slow motion tape of her "3-3"s? Her triple loops were at least 3/4 underrotated
    Well if that was true then it would make them pretty much the same as some of the jumps I saw in Vancouver. Or did you actually think all of the jumps in Vancouver were fully rotated.

  11. #11
    Proud Sarah Hughes Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by wonbinfan86 View Post
    Have you seen the slow motion tape of her "3-3"s? Her triple loops were at least 3/4 underrotated
    You're over exaggerating. Watch this version of her LP to the end to the slo-mo replay:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2KYn...eature=related

    I don't understand where you're getting 3/4 UR from

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    201
    Very exaggerated criticism. Tara had to be second in terms of difficulty. I loved both skaters. It seemed like destiny for both. What warriors! Well, I wish Hughes would try a comeback! People are so obsessed with these judges and their slo mo UR calls. Well, I guess no one can say she's been outskated yet in an Olympics.

  13. #13
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,089
    Yu-Na's 3lz/3t and 2a/3t blows any combo done by Sarah and Tara out of the water. Not to mention Yu-Na's difficult entrances into her jumps and superior spins and connecting moves. Sarah may have landed two 3/3s and Tara a 3/3 and a sequence, but I believe Yu-Na's SP and LP had more content and technically more difficult overall, so she should go down as the technically greatest Women OGM. I wish Yu-Na had done a 3loop then no one would question her greatness. But even without it, I still think the quality of her HUGE jumps with great height and distance makes up for lack of a 3 loop. All 3 were/are elite skaters with competitive drive, no question about it. However, with the adjustments made in regards to URs, both may have benefited more in the upcoming season than they would've beforehand.

    Tara has pretty much said it is hard to defend your title. Sarah clearly lost motivation and the following season after OGM was quite underwhelming. Tara left the scene. I hope Yu-Na does keep on competing and up to her standards. That would be a true test of a Champion. But if she does leave, well, it's been quite an experience!

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,495
    Quote Originally Posted by MKFSfan View Post
    Tara has pretty much said it is hard to defend your title. Sarah clearly lost motivation and the following season after OGM was quite underwhelming. Tara left the scene. I hope Yu-Na does keep on competing and up to her standards. That would be a true test of a Champion. But if she does leave, well, it's been quite an experience!
    I agree especially with your last point, MKFSfan. Whatever YuNa does or doesn't do in the future--even if she continues to skate and becomes "underwhelming," what she's done in the last two years or so has made her one for the ages. I don't know how one can quantify skating enough to compare her Olympics with that of Tara or Sarah. But the size of YuNa's jumps, and especially the size of the second jumps in her combinations--that's beyond compare, at least for now. All of the ladies you mentioned, along with Michelle, Mao, and of course Shizuka, are spectacular and memorable skaters. I guess they could all be ordered into some sort of ranking, but I certainly wouldn't want to do it. I'm just happy we have them all at their best.

  15. #15
    Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,517
    Cheated jumps aside, Sarah had many great qualities as a skater. I often felt the harsh criticism that her skating faced was way exaggerated. She had interesting programs, good in-betweens (more so than Kwan and Cohen I'd say at the time), great spins, solid basics and a good sense of musicality, even if she was a little less polished than some of the other top skaters.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •