Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Sarah Hughes

Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    Cheated jumps aside, Sarah had many great qualities as a skater. I often felt the harsh criticism that her skating faced was way exaggerated. She had interesting programs, good in-betweens (more so than Kwan and Cohen I'd say at the time), great spins, solid basics and a good sense of musicality, even if she was a little less polished than some of the other top skaters.
    I agree with you. Comparing Yuna in 2010 to Sara in 2002 feels just as strange as comparing Michelle in '98 to Kati in '88. Skating moves forward, eras and RULES change, and skaters continue to improve.
    To overlook this seems to show any lack of historical perspective and even elementary understanding of sports in general and skating in particular..

What next - that Carol Heiss was better than Sonja?

It is interesting that there is a thread going on now about the difficulty of putting a 3Loop as the second jump of a combination. A few said it seems almost impossible to get the rotations ratified under the IJS.

Hello - Sarah was not skating under the IJS. I happen to love Michelle and Sasha and in retrospect Irina as well. Three terrific skaters which only makes Sarah's accomplishment in 2002 more noteworthy.

As to '06 or 2010 - or just go ahead and pick almost any Olympics and few have ever skated with the freedom we saw from Sarah in SLC. Ironic that possibly Tara comes to mind

I am not writing to compare 16 year old Sarah's performance to Yuna or any other Olympic champion. I am saying that in 2002 she performed exceptionally well, beat two great skaters who perhaps did not handle the pressure as well and it is silly to bring up loops - when Sarah did them in difficult combinations we rarely see today.

Yuna was the best in 2010 and a wonderful Olympic champion. I would feel horrible and might not follow skating as much if our 2010 champion was not better than our 2002 champion. Not to recognize that skating moves forward feels terribly shortsighted to me and is a point that should not need to be debated.
    Last edited by janetfan; 05-11-2010 at 10:38 AM.

Down With It
    One of those rare moments where I actually agree with a Janetfan post

Custom Title
    I wonder if she's skating also just because that's what she use to do but I don't hear much about her but the occassional mention of ceremonies she may attend....oh and twitter.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MKFSfan View Post
    Yu-Na's 3lz/3t and 2a/3t blows any combo done by Sarah and Tara out of the water.
    Certainly true with Sarah. Probably true with Tara, whose jumps were tiny. But Tara did do a difficult 3-Loop/3-Loop, which no one before or since to my recollection has done. And I say this as someone who is definitely not a Tara fan! I do think that Yu Na's 3-3's are the biggest, most powerful and prettiest of any lady skater.

Custom Title
    Actually, Sarah had done 3lp/3lp in competition. There have been others, but Sarah comes to mind.

Regardless, the question that sparked this debate was how Sarah would fare under COP, not who had more spark, etc. I agree you can't compare 6.0 programs to COP programs, but I also think if Yu-Na skated a watered down version of what she did, with the same jumps, or even the way she skated at Worlds 2010, she would have won easily in 1998 and 2002. Tara and Sarah most certainly would've/could've upped their technical difficulty to contend under COP, just not sure their jump arsenal would beat Yu-Na's or that their loop combos would've been ratified.

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    As to '06 or 2010 - or just go ahead and pick almost any Olympics and few have ever skated with the freedom we saw from Sarah in SLC. Ironic that possibly Tara comes to mind
    I thought Sarah seized the day in SLC & outskated everyone there, but of course she skated w/ the freedom! She wasn't favored to win anything, and she was the 4th after the short program, which meant she didn't really control her own destiny. She needed somebody (Irina) to beat Michelle to win the gold, and since Irina & Michelle hadn't skated yet, Sarah had no idea how it was gonna go.

So she wasn't skating under the kind of pressure that OGM favorites were skating under. So yeah....she was "free" compared to the other ladies. :-)

Down With It
    I think it puts into perspective how extraordinary the Vancouver ladies competition was. For someone like Yuna to deliver like that under the kind of pressure she must have been under is almost unprecedented. Now, it wasn't even close to my personal favorite but i still wonder whether we'll ever see another clutch performance like that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia01 View Post
    I thought Sarah seized the day in SLC & outskated everyone there, but of course she skated w/ the freedom! She wasn't favored to win anything, and she was the 4th after the short program, which meant she didn't really control her own destiny. She needed somebody (Irina) to beat Michelle to win the gold, and since Irina & Michelle hadn't skated yet, Sarah had no idea how it was gonna go.

So she wasn't skating under the kind of pressure that OGM favorites were skating under. So yeah....she was "free" compared to the other ladies. :-)
    Adding to this comment I think it's also important to keep in mind that Sarah was in 4th after the short program, she obviously knew that a lot of things had to fall into place for her to win OGM so really there wasn't too much pressure on her. With the COP system if say 20 skaters all skated spectacularly and were within one point of each other it would be a battle royale for the gold with equal amounts of pressure on everyyone. The thing I absolutely detested about the 6.0 system was the fact that only a few skaters could be realistically in contention for the gold (not that there were a ton at the most recent olympics, but the potential is built into the COP system). Anyway I think it's fortunate for Sarah that she skated under the 6.0 system, under COP I don't think her free program would have broken the 100 mark.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I agree especially with your last point, MKFSfan. Whatever YuNa does or doesn't do in the future--even if she continues to skate and becomes "underwhelming," what she's done in the last two years or so has made her one for the ages. I don't know how one can quantify skating enough to compare her Olympics with that of Tara or Sarah. But the size of YuNa's jumps, and especially the size of the second jumps in her combinations--that's beyond compare, at least for now. All of the ladies you mentioned, along with Michelle, Mao, and of course Shizuka, are spectacular and memorable skaters. I guess they could all be ordered into some sort of ranking, but I certainly wouldn't want to do it. I'm just happy we have them all at their best.
    Midori Ito's Triple Axel - Triple Toe combo blows any of Yuna's combos out of the water :-)

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    I think it puts into perspective how extraordinary the Vancouver ladies competition was. For someone like Yuna to deliver like that under the kind of pressure she must have been under is almost unprecedented. Now, it wasn't even close to my personal favorite but i still wonder whether we'll ever see another clutch performance like that.
    That's what I just thinking! True Yuna may not have had the freedom that Sarah had in 02 but considering the pressure on Yuna ... woah. And I wouldn't exactly call Yuna's skate reserved or tight. I was pretty free considering. I'm in awe of the way Yuna won. It's true that Sarah gave one of the freeest Olympic gold medal performances ever. But Yuna gave the most perfect OGM performance I have ever seen, especially from a favorite. Kudos to both of them and they were both the true winners on their night.

BTW, Tara IMMEDIATELY comes to mind when it comes to joyful, free OGM performances. More so than Sarah. And Tara's win was more remarkable because she beat a nearly perfect Kwan while Sarah beat a flawed Michelle and Irina. But still. Sarah rose to the occassion that night. Her win saved what was otherwise one of the more disappointing women's Olympic free skates.

It must have been very nice to be the defending Worlds bronze medalist, a strong Olympic medal contender, the only skater to have beaten both Michelle and Irina that season, to be 16 years old and skating on home ice and not be nervous or feeling much PRESSURE

I think every US coach should be required to spend some time with Olympic Champion Sarah Hughes and learn her secret of skating at the biggest event in her sport on home ice without feeling pressure

I recall reading comments Yuna made after Mao beat her at the GPF in Korea two years ago.
    Yuna said the pressure of skating on home ice was greater than anything she had experienced.

I guess Yuna can feel pressure but not Sarah. Geez, why didn't I understand that before?

Custom Title
    Sorry but I just don't feel that Sarah was skating under the pressure that Michelle or Irina were under in the long program. This is just my feeling.

Yuna has always been a favorite so the expectations were greater and even greater on home ice for someone like Yuna.

It's okay if some feel differently.

Quote Originally Posted by lavender View Post
    Sorry but I just don't feel that Sarah was skating under the pressure that Michelle or Irina were under in the long program. This is just my feeling.

Yuna has always been a favorite so the expectations were greater and even greater on home ice for someone like Yuna.

It's okay if some feel differently.
    You are right and your comments about your "feelings" are fair enough.

Part of me wonders how fans are so sure about how these skaters feel before taking Olympic Ice.
    Maybe we need some type of meter on each skater's ankle so we can measure their degree of nervousness. Then such discusions could actually be based on some facts.

Maybe the CoP could even give some GOE for the skater with the highest meter reading making the least mistakes.

One could say Yuna skated so well at Vancouver that she might not have felt much pressure. She appeared calm and her skating did not look nervous at all.

My statement could cause a few Yuna fans to get upset. How dare I say Yuna felt no pressure?

I said it and I believe it is possible. I think for those four minutes Yuna might have been able to successfully block everything out and skate without pressure. Sarah may have been able to do the same thing in SLC. Some athletes are better at this than others and Katerina comes to mind.
    Last edited by janetfan; 05-12-2010 at 09:47 AM.

Down With It
    Oh, I think you can be under pressure without actually FEELING it. I think Yuna said later in an interview that she didn't feel much pressure. But you know that the minute she slipped up, an entire country would gasp. It's to her credit that she was able to forget about it and compete. But I would have liked to see what would have happened if the Olympics were in Korea...

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Oh, I think you can be under pressure without actually FEELING it. I think Yuna said later in an interview that she didn't feel much pressure. But you know that the minute she slipped up, an entire country would gasp. It's to her credit that she was able to forget about it and compete. But I would have liked to see what would have happened if the Olympics were in Korea...
    Aha! Now we are getting somewhere. So it was not Yuna who felt so much pressure when she skated - it was her fans.

Let's give Orser some credit. He was very aware of what Yuna needed to do and I think he did alot to keep pressure away from her. Mao did not have a mentor like Orser at her side leading into Vancouver.

From reading various posts and Yuna's own words can we conclude that Yuna did NOT feel much pressure when she skated in Vancouver but that her fans felt tremendous pressure?
    So much in fact they assuredly can declare Yuna felt more pressure than say ...Sarah did?

Just kidding here and as fans we do not know and can only guess at how much pressure different skaters feel when they take the ice.
    Last edited by janetfan; 05-12-2010 at 10:04 AM.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast