Sarah Hughes | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Sarah Hughes

Layfan

Record Breaker
:rofl: The whole point of figure skating is blades on ice. Watch her blade work. This is not only art, it is now a lost art. No current skater can come close to Michelle's blade control -- most don't even know that such an art once existed. :cry:

I think this the root of her artistry that nobody seems to be able to put their finger on. That "it" factor that people can't seem to define. I think in Michelle's case it all comes down to such good technique. And that's why she was able to be so breathtakingly calm and in control. That was her true genius.

And thanks for sharing that amazing performance. :)

Last edited:

dlgpffps

Final Flight
I think this the root of her artistry that nobody seems to be able to put their finger on. That "it" factor that people can't seem to define. I think in Michelle's case it all comes done to such good technique. And that's why she was able to be so breathtakingly calm and in control. That was her true genius.

That's a good appraisal. I've been trying to find the root of Michelle's "it" factor, so I could articulate what draws me to her time and again. I always felt that she was in the zone, in control of every inch of her body. I become so nervous when I watch skates live these days that I'm reminded of the Kween, who actually let me SAVOR the skate. I think it was during her 2004 Nats performance that the commentators called her the most reliable skater in the world.

I like that idea, that Michelle is so reliable. The neat thing is that she's also mysterious and profound. Somehow she combines the two poles and becomes more than the sum of those parts. Usually, "reliable" skaters are a bit dull, while artistic skaters have a bit of the head-case about them. It's rare that you find the two traits at their best in one person. I think Peggy Fleming was another one who had both sides to her. She was a poetically beautiful skater, very musical--John Curry skated with her a few times, and he wouldn't choose just anyone as a partner--but she was also a master of school figures. In fact, in the 1968 Olympics, she won partly because of the lead she had built up in school figures. And of course Curry himself was both. He trained like a demon with Gus Lussi on his jumps, so that by 1976, he had technique to back up his artistic vision.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Here is a link to John Curry and Janet Lynn and an additional stellar cast including Toller Cranston, Dorothy Hamill, JoJo Starbck and Sandra Bezic skating to "Snow Queen."

You have to download these and they playback on Windows Media Player.

http://www.frogsonice.com/video/snow-queen/

The video page has many other skating shows and memorable performances that are sometimes hard to find on YouTube.
Some good stuff for the off-season can be found here:

http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/videos.shtml

Last edited:
Wow, what a site!

I haven't seen that since it came out, I think.

JoJo Starbuck is someone whose skating we don't see discussed much. She and Ken Shelley were wonderful both as pairs and as singles skaters, with a jazzy, smooth style that was enjoyable to watch. They were John Nicks skaters, as were Tai and Randy. I once saw the four of them skate an ensemble piece, including a group Ina Bauer. Their styles meshed so well that they were able to switch partners in the middle to marvelous effect.

silverfox

Rinkside
Skaters often look to former skaters as models, and choose them as their favorite. Many choose Michelle, Sasha or Tara. Does anyone know of a skater who chose Sarah as their favorite?

janetfan

Match Penalty
Skaters often look to former skaters as models, and choose them as their favorite. Many choose Michelle, Sasha or Tara. Does anyone know of a skater who chose Sarah as their favorite?

Emily chose Sarah ;)

And who did Michelle model her skating after? :)

Layfan

Record Breaker
I like that idea, that Michelle is so reliable. The neat thing is that she's also mysterious and profound. Somehow she combines the two poles and becomes more than the sum of those parts. Usually, "reliable" skaters are a bit dull, while artistic skaters have a bit of the head-case about them. It's rare that you find the two traits at their best in one person. I think Peggy Fleming was another one who had both sides to her. She was a poetically beautiful skater, very musical--John Curry skated with her a few times, and he wouldn't choose just anyone as a partner--but she was also a master of school figures. In fact, in the 1968 Olympics, she won partly because of the lead she had built up in school figures. And of course Curry himself was both. He trained like a demon with Gus Lussi on his jumps, so that by 1976, he had technique to back up his artistic vision.

Hmm... It's true there are some skaters who always land their jumps but are rather blah. Still, maybe they don't necessarily have the same sharp edge technique as Michelle. Someone who knows way more about skating than me can tell me if I'm off my rocker but I always thought to myself that Michelle had reliable technique, which enabled her to let go and enjoy her skating more than other skaters, even those who coulld do more difficult jumps than her. Of course, I'm sure her years of years of competitions helped her gain confidence but that doesn't happent to all skaters. If anything, most deteriorate a lot faster than Michelle did...

I didn't know that about John Curry .. thanks for that. I'm only now going back and discovering his skating more. And I have to say it's hard for me to think of skater today who matches that sort of quality, or artistic vision, not sure how to put it.

Tonya Harding

janetfan said:
:laugh::laugh:

Are you sure you didn't mean Rudy Galindo?

Actually, Tonya Harding was Michelle's idol and role model back when Michelle was a young jumping bean of 11 or 12. There is a famous clip somewhere of Tonya doing a triple Axel in practice right in front of Michelle, and Michelle is going, WOW! (Maybe 1991 Nationals, if Michelle was there as a novice?)

When Michelle started to work with Lori Nichol, Nichol wanted her to look at some tapes of Janet Lynn skating. Michelle's first response was, "Who's Janet Lynn?" (In Christine Brennan's book on Michelle and the 1998 Olympics, that's one of the chapter titles, "Who's Janet Lynn?" to describe that stage in Michelle's journey.)

Anyway, the young Michelle found out who Janet Lynn was (and the rest is history. :laugh: ) But. yeah, Michelle's first dream was to jump like Tonya Harding and have a spiral like Nicole Bobek.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Actually, Tonya Harding was Michelle's idol and role model back when Michelle was a young jumping bean of 11 or 12. There is a famous clip somewhere of Tonya doing a triple Axel in practice right in front of Michelle, and Michelle is going, WOW! (Maybe 1991 Nationals, if Michelle was there as a novice?)

When Michelle started to work with Lori Nichol, Nichol wanted her to look at some tapes of Janet Lynn skating. Michelle's first response was, "Who's Janet Lynn?" (In Christine Brennan's book on Michelle and the 1998 Olympics, that's one of the chapter titles, "Who's Janet Lynn?" to describe that stage in Michelle's journey.)

Anyway, the young Michelle found out who Janet Lynn was (and the rest is history. :laugh: ) But. yeah, Michelle's first dream was to jump like Tonya Harding and have a spiral like Nicole Bobek.

When it came time to really work Michelle's artistry - quotes from Carroll like this make it evident who he admired the most.

"Janet Lynn is the most beautiful skater who ever lived. She flew, she really flew."

"She skated for some other reason, giving herself up to the movement that other people had never been able to do."

We do see Nicole's spiral - but the style Michelle was taught was not based on the more traditional and formal 50's and 60's style of Carol Heiss and Peggy Fleming which Frank knew very well.

The use of the full body to express the music with such nuanced recognition of the dynamics and tempo changes was Janet's contribution and legacy.

Michelle was taught that along with Janet's abilty to skate with such emotion and abilty to draw the crowd into the performance. Maybe that has to be in a skater - but looking at how Orser and Wilson guided Yuna from a somewhat wooden young performer into a skater with superb abilty to express and convey an emotional feeling shows the right coaches with the right skater can produce wonderful results. And Orser has mentioned how he used Janet's tapes when teaching Yuna and with all students at the Cricket Club.

Michelle's skating was patterned very closely after Janet's because she was the skater who her coach and choreographer admired the most. It is evident how much of Janet we see in Michelle. I see absolutely nothing of Harding in Michelle and believe if we did it would have come over Frank's dead body." :laugh:

I have been on a big Janet and John Curry kick the last week. What wonderful skaters and artists they both were. Can you imagine them skating under the CoP? What a loss that would have been for future generations.

lavender

Record Breaker
I totally agree Janetfan. Michelle spoke of Janet more later so I assume that she was her role model. I don't blame her after watching Ms. Lynn float across the ice so smoothly. Anyone know who was Michelle's favorite before Tanya.

Tonya Harding was Michelle's idol and role model back when Michelle was a young jumping bean of 11 or 12.

:yes:

Last edited: