In any discipline what skate at the Olympics is your all time favorite? | Golden Skate

In any discipline what skate at the Olympics is your all time favorite?

princess9

On the Ice
In any discipline what skate at the Olympics is your all time favorite?

I know this will be hard, so maybe pick one for each discipline if you like.

I'll just pick one from ladies. It would be Baiul's SP from 1994. I had never seen anyone skate like that before. I was truly awed. She was so young, yet skated with great maturity and I was sure she must have been a balerina in a former life. That being said, I think Kerrigan's LP was flawless and I personally would have found it fair to give Nancy the gold.

It is an SP that for me is etched in my mind. I think it was so good that the judges overlooked her flawed free skate. I recall seeing Jayne Torvill watching her SP and her jaw was dropped. Hard to believe it's close to twenty years ago.:)

Last edited:

silverling

Rinkside
for me,
Yagudin : Iron Mask 2002 Olympics
Johnny Weir : Swan 2006 Olympics
Yuna Kim : Concerto in F - Gershwin 2010 Olympics

Hands down

They are just MASTERPIECES.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Men-Brian Boitano's free skate in 1988
Dance-Torvill & Dean's Paso Doble OSP 1984
Pairs-Berezhnyah and Sikuralidze SP (Lady Caliph) 2002
Ladies-no winner declared

MKFSfan

Medalist
Well, given the 2010 Games is most recent, Shen/Zhao, Yu-Na and Evan's wins stand out as the best we've seen in FS yet.

Mirai's spectacular 4th place LP is a fave of mine, too, and hopefully a sign of things to come.

In 2006, adored B/A, and was thrilled for Shizuka.

2002 belongs to Alexei (LOVED MITIM and Winter), and I felt the Ladies' competition was ruined by the judging scandal. Yes, Sarah skated the best that night, and her performance of a lifetime on that stage is huge, but I feel is the scandal hadn't happened, Michelle would've been 2nd in the LP, Gold all around.

1998, nice that the Ladies' podium had 3 good skaters, with skates that would've been Gold Medal worthy on any given night.

Going back in history-I'd say The '88 Battle of the Brians' lived up to it's bidding!

But the biggest OGM winner, IMO, is Yu-Na. Her SP was amazing and when you add in her LP, this was a competition for the ages.

My favorite and most moving memory from any Olympics is Michelle's "Fields of Gold" exhibition. It was an emotional sum-up of what the Games mean to so many athletes who work very hard for that one, elusive moment. Sometimes the right person wins on the night. But so many act as if it's a coronation of sorts and in that case, the winner in not always ideal.

Torvill & Dean!!! and they should have won the following Olys, too. Talk about Skating artistry. They personified Skating Artistry.

I'll probably post several times and say something different each time. Gaak, this is hard! But lots of fun to think about, and to see other people's thoughts.

I can certainly say this is one of the most memorable programs, because look how long I've remembered it--John Curry's long program from 1976. I was new to skating fandom, and when I saw it, I realized that the guy who most deserved to win something could actually have the skate of his life and win. The other one that still gives me chills is Paul Wylie's Henry V long program in 1992. What a monumental achievement! Honorable mention: Kurt Browning's 1994 long program, when he didn't have a chance of winning but gave it his all anyway. Any time Kurt skates, it's memorable.

Pairs: hmmm. Lots to think about, including Sale and Pelletier's Love Story in 2002, and Shen/Zhao this year. Oh, help and bother! These decisions are way too hard for me.

Ice: toss-up between Torvill and Dean (and I like the idea of their paso doble as the one to remember, even over their free dance) and this year's breathtaking winning dance from Virtue/Moir. I also have a soft spot for the final three from 1992: Klimova/Ponomarenko, Usova/Zhulin, the Duchesnays. I remember thinking at the time that the three medals could have been awarded in any order, and I'd have felt satisfied. The quality of all three teams was so high that year.

Women's--I understand Doris P.'s reluctance to name any one performance! I'll be subjective and use this as an opportunity to put Michelle first, with her Rachmaninoff short program from 1998. Oh, throw in Lyra Angelica also. That music was so perfect for her, and she just floated over the ice. Gold? Silver? Who cares! She and Tara each skated with breathtaking effectiveness, and Michelle took my breath away more.

Of course, this year's phenomenal last flight of women will linger in my mind for a long time, especially the go-for-broke performances of YuNa and Mao.

Wow, this is a great thread! Can't wait to see everyone else's choices.

Last edited:

ronja_so

Rinkside
Men: 2006 Torino, Plushenko´s SP "Tosca" / Plushenko´s FS "Godfather"
I really, really tried to choose either one, but I simply couldn´t.
I still remember vividly when I watched the Olympics and I couldn´t hardly breathe during neither of these programs.

Ladies: 2006 Torino, Slutskaya´s SP "Totentanz"
This was just something, and comes first into my mind of all women´s programs at the Olympics ever.

* As for the Vancouver Olympics 2010, there was one moment that I´ll never forget: Plushenko´s "Je suis Malade" at the Exhibition.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
If I had to choose one favorite i'll go with Tara's 1998 Freeskate. Technical perfection and much better use of the music than she gets credit for. She also beat a perfect Michelle wheras yu-na didn't have a perfect Mao to worry about.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Men's: Weir's 2006 LP even with the elements left out == he looks like he is meant to be on the ice, that ice is his "element" rather than the ground! But equal tie is Boitano's winning long program -- WOW! and under such pressure!

Ladies: Sarah's LP stands out!

Pairs: Mishkutenok/Dmitriev (sp?) Liebestraum now a fave, not so much then. But then I fell in love with Rachy 1994 (in 1994). Should've been a gold medal winner in my opinion! And then went back and fell for Liebestraum and pretty much everything Artur and Natalia did.

Dance: Bolero of course !

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
well it is a bank holiday here today...:rolleye:

Even with falls and all

Michelle 2002 sp
Irina 2002 & 2006 sp
Michelles and Irina Ex 2002
Sasha Carmen 2002 and Sp & Lp 2006
Takeshi Honda Arranguez Lp 2002
Abt 2002 sp
Plushy Carmen 2002 and Tosca 2006 and Ex 06-10
Yagudin Winter and MITIM 2002
Lambiel 2006 Vivaldi
Weir 2006 sp and Ex
Buttle 2006 sp
Ina Zimmerman 2002 Lp
Elena Anton 2002 Sp and Lp
Anissina Peozerat 2002 free dance
Bourne Kratz Michael Jackson 2002
Shen Zhao 2002 Lp and 2010 sp
Pang & Tong 2006 Phantom and 2010 Lp
S/S 2010 sp
Takahashi 2010 sp
Yuna 2010 Sp
Mao 2010 sp
Joannie 2010 Sp
Mirai 2010 Lp
My mind has stopped for 2010 now, I m sure I forget some!

Oh ...did i have to pick one? :eek:

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Oh ...did i have to pick one? :eek:

Haha, not easy ... I'll give it a try:

Men: Yagudin, Winter, Salt Lake City 2002. Dramatic, powerful … the whole package. (If only I could have put Abbott here, but :eek:hwell: )

Ladies: Lu Chen, Butterfly lovers, Nagano 1998. Every part of her body is IN this program … and she is SO emotional :cry: (happy, relieved tears!)

Pairs: Pang/Tong, Impossible dream, Vancouver 20110. Their technique, music, costumes, performance … they were just wonderful together :love:

Dance: Davis/White, their OD to Indian folk music, Vancouver 2010. Very funny, cool and innovative. Excellent body moves with their heads, arms, hands … :rock:

YunaBliss

On the Ice
2010 Vancouver Yuna's SP (the fact that she had to follow perfect performance by Mao and prevailed) and Yuna's LP - which was the most beautiful performance by any single individual I have ever seen in my life in any field.

prettykeys

Medalist
Alexei Yagudin's SP and LP in 2002
YuNa Kim's SP and LP in 2010
Virtue/Moir's OD (Flamenco) in 2010

I also really like Tara Lipinski's 1998 LP

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
2010 Lysacek sp and fs
2010 Kim sp and fs
1988 Gordeeva & Grinkov fs
1984 Torvill & Dean fd Bolero

Big Deal

Final Flight
MEN:
1.Alexei Yagudin , Man in Iron Mask, 2002.
2.John Curry LP 1976.
3. Alexei Yagudin SP , Winter 2002.
4. Brian Boitano LP 1988.

LADIES
1. Yu-Na Kim, Gershwin, 2010.
2.Yu-Na Kim , Bond SP 2010.
3. Mao Asada , Bells of Moscow, 2010.
4.Oksana Baiul SP, The Swan 1994.

What an Olympics this was for ladies in 2010. Even No7. Rachel Flatt should win any of the previous Olympics I think with that performance, and all of the others placed ahead of her ( except Lepistö)!!!

Pairs
1. Mishkutionok-Dmitriev LP, Rachmaninov 1994.
2.Sale-Pelletier LP Love Story 2002.
3.Pang-Tong LP 2010.
4.Shen-Zhao SP, Who wants to live forever 2010.

(Interestingly 2 of them didn't win the Gold with that performance, but in both cases I would vote for the winners as a perfect olympic champions...)

Ice Dance
1. Torvil-Dean, Bolero 1984.
2. Klimova-Ponomarenko , Romeo and Juliette LP 1992.
3. Virtue-Moir, Mahler 2010.
4. Torvil-Dean FD 1994.

These are not all necesserily my all time favourite skaters, but I'm talking about a certain performance in these cases.

Last edited by a moderator:

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Oh, gosh, how could I forget Torvill and Dean's Lillehammer 1994 sultry and intricate rumba OD? Definitely have to add that one!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Ice Dance
1. Torvill-Dean, Bolero 1984.
2. Klimova-Ponomarenko , Romeo and Juliette LP 1992.
3. Virtue-Moir, Mahler 2010.
4. Torvil-Dean FD 1994.

These are not all necesserily my all time favourite skaters, but I'm talking about a certain performance in these cases.

Klimova/Ponomarenko 1992 was skated to Air from Suite No.3 J.S. Bach, not R&J. But it was certainly a great program!

Bennett

Record Breaker
I actually haven't had many Olys that I watched seriously (e.g., I have very little memory around the time when Michelle seems to have been strong).

But I remember following performances:
- Baiul SP, LP,
- Lu Chen LP from the same year,
- Yuka LP from the same year,
- Shizuka LP.

The Oly this past season is just too recent for me to include in the list.