Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: In any discipline what skate at the Olympics is your all time favorite?

Quote Originally Posted by princess9 View Post
    I think there should be a pewter medal at Worlds and Olympics. Why not? Was there ever a time back in the day when USFS or ISU did this?
    As far as I know the pewter medal is strictly a U.S. thing. I think it is based on the idea that for sectionals and regionals the top four advance.

I don't know how "official" the pewter medal is at U.S. Nationals, but at leat the top four get their picture taken.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Nationals.jpg

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/958...0A760B0D811297
    Last edited by Mathman; 05-16-2010 at 03:59 PM.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    yeah, I like the 4th place medal idea.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Nationals.jpg

lol at that shot, three out of the four are wearing almost the exact shade of baby blue.

From Albertville, and not everybodies cup of tea - but I always loved the creativity and originality of the Duchesnays.

Here is their Free Dance to West Side Story:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h_Gz...eature=related

This is really hard. I've really only seen since 1998, so my pick will be based on what I remember from 1998 - 2010.

For men I'll say Elvis Stojko's silver medal LP performance in '98. I know it wasn't technically the best or a winning performance, but it was really emotionally moving because he was skating with the groin injury and I'll never forget him having to walk to the podium since he was so injured he couldn't even skate. I've lost respect for Elvis since then, but I used to love and admire him a lot. I'll say that Evan's SP and LP are my second favourite, because they also moved me emotionally. You could tell how much he wanted to skate well and how happy he was at the end when he did. Sorry, but Plushenko's Olympic performances, all of them, left me cold and Yagudin's and Kulik's did not do much for me either.

For ladies I have to go with 1998 too, but I can't choose between Michelle and Tara's LPs so I will give them a tie. It was just such a nail-biter and both really rose to the occasion. I can barely remember the 2002 and 2006 ladies performances at all, so they must have not made an impression on me and Yu-Na's performances this year were technically sound but a bit boring to me.

For pairs I have to say Pang and Tong this year even though they didn't win an OGM. It's my favourite because it was skated with a lot of heart to a really fitting song, The Impossible Dream, which I think fit well because nobody really expected them to win the Olympic silver over the Russian and German teams this year. An honourable mention goes to Sale and Pelletier in 2002. I liked that performance because it was skated perfectly and with joy, but my liking of it was marred by the judging scandal.

For dance I pick Virtue and Moir and Davis and White's free dances at the 2010 Olympics, HANDS DOWN. I have to say that the FD at the 2010 Olympics is probably my favourite part of a competition EVER. Both teams were flawless and really so far above the rest of the field that it was amazing. None of the other ice dance Olympics that I watched even come CLOSE.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    For men I'll say Elvis Stojko's silver medal LP performance in '98. I know it wasn't technically the best or a winning performance, but it was really emotionally moving because he was skating with the groin injury and I'll never forget him having to walk to the podium since he was so injured he couldn't even skate.
    Yes, it was sad that Stojko got injured, but I felt that he overplayed it. As he was able to skate his programmes through, I believe that he could as well have had the skates on during the victory ceremony. My thoughts were at the time and still are now that he kind of tried to steal the glory of Kulik´s gold away from him and get attention away from Kulik by showing how injured he (Stojko) was.... The recent impressions about Stojko & his personality based on his interviews have only strengthened my belief.

Custom Title
    For me personally, the ultimate Olympic performance is Gordeeva & Grinkov in Lillehammer in 1994. Looking back, I am still amazed at the brilliance of their programs in Lillehammer--the sheer technical perfection of the pairs elements, the speed, the crispness, the maturity of their musicality, and of course their sublime connection on the ice. Whenever I hear the strains of Moonlight Sonata, I immediately think of the delicate, wintry beauty of their long program. I will never forget their performance that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Yes, it was sad that Stojko got injured, but I felt that he overplayed it. As he was able to skate his programmes through, I believe that he could as well have had the skates on during the victory ceremony. My thoughts were at the time and still are now that he kind of tried to steal the glory of Kulik´s gold away from him and get attention away from Kulik by showing how injured he (Stojko) was.... The recent impressions about Stojko & his personality based on his interviews have only strengthened my belief.
    I don't see it that way at all. If I remember correctly, Stojko didn't mention the groin injury a lot before he skated any of his programs there. If he really wanted attention, he would have mentioned it a lot. Also, if I remember correctly about this as well, he received medical attention after his LP and the medical people probably told him he should not put his skates back on. I do not believe that Elvis was always such a jerk as he is now. My Mom and I both think that he's become a jerk due to bitterness about his (kind of) failed professional career.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I don't see it that way at all. If I remember correctly, Stojko didn't mention the groin injury a lot before he skated any of his programs there. If he really wanted attention, he would have mentioned it a lot. Also, if I remember correctly about this as well, he received medical attention after his LP and the medical people probably told him he should not put his skates back on. I do not believe that Elvis was always such a jerk as he is now. My Mom and I both think that he's become a jerk due to bitterness about his (kind of) failed professional career.
    I tend to agree with you. I remember Elvis's demeanor after the 1994 long program, when Urmanov got the gold after a lights-out performance from Stojko. Stojko didn't say anything, though he looked as though he was biting his tongue. Then, was it '94 or '95 when he skated in the World Championship injured? His coach said afterward, "You really are Superman!" I think Stojko was one of those people who operates on adrenaline, past his normal capacity, and then collapses afterward. After all, at that point in his career, he didn't need to "steal the glory" from Kulik. By and large during that Olympic cycle, he was the one in the spotlight: as a multiple world champion and a pathfinder in terms of performing quads singly and in combination. A lot of people love Kulik, including me, but as an amateur he did nothing memorable before the 1998 Olympics. (Myself, I really started admiring him during his pro career, when he became more innovative while retaining his meticulous technique.) Stojko was a showman, and he never suffered from excess humility, but as you say, blue_idealist, I think he wasn't a jerk until afterward.

Custom Title
    I don't think Elvis is a jerk. He has the big ego of a long time champ but so do most successful skaters. He felt that jumps were dying under CoP and felt Plushenko the winner. Plush responded badly but that's him and that's Russian pride too. He took a lot of heat for his honesty. Sale did as well. I'm sick of the PC skaters who cannot answer a question sincerely.

I felt Elvis gave many great exciting perforances. You can't say that for Urmanov. And you can't say that for Kulik. Acc. to TAT he ran from competition as he feared losing. He was not a born competotor like Elvis. Only Elvis and God know how much pain he was in. I don't know Elvis but I loved his skating.

Custom Title
    Michelle Kwan, Fields of Gold Exhibition, 2002; Michelle Kwan, Rach SP 1998

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by rtureck View Post
    Shizuka 2006 LP have you seen an ina bauer as beautiful as hers
    I agree with you on this one. While some may say her program lacked technical difficulty, I feel she is just such a beautiful skater. Her long program is one that I could watch over and over.

I'll be a little perverse and say this is my favorite figure from the olympics (though there's not much competition since they were always under-covered). Still a thing of beauty in its own way.

Debit Thomas's LFO paragraph loop from 1988 (starts at about 1.07)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GQwszzIeWo

Custom Title
    We have to pick only one? :(

Pairs: Gordeeva and Grinkov, 1994 long program (runner-up: Shen and Zhao, 2010 short program)
    Men's: Daisuke Takahashi, 2010 free skate (runner-up: Ilia Kulik, 1998 long program)
    Ice Dance: Davis and White, 2010 original dance; tied with Virtue and Moir, 2010 free dance
    Ladies: Yu-Na Kim, 2010 free skate (runner-up: Sasha Cohen, both 2006 short and long programs)
    Special Mention: Michelle Kwan, 2002, gala Fields of Gold

I actually prefer Michelle's Fields of Gold over Yu-Na's Olympic programs, but it's an exhibition skate and not a competitive one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    I'll be a little perverse and say this is my favorite figure from the olympics (though there's not much competition since they were always under-covered). Still a thing of beauty in its own way.

Debit Thomas's LFO paragraph loop from 1988 (starts at about 1.07)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GQwszzIeWo
    Thanks for posting the figures clip and for such an original choice.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chloepoco View Post
    I agree with you on this one. While some may say her program lacked technical difficulty, I feel she is just such a beautiful skater. Her long program is one that I could watch over and over.

I'm so glad you two (you were quoting rtureck about Shizuka's LP in 2006) feel this way. By coincidence, I went back last night to look at that program. She is an exquisite skater, and that Ina Bauer is simply glorious. I wouldn't put her at the top of my Olympics list because--well, there's Michelle, and Sasha, and YuNa, and Mao, and Peggy, and others as well, but she certainly deserves to be considered. This is where skating proves that it's not like baseball and never will be. No point score will ever be able to account for the unforgettable excellence of someone with the fifth-highest score, or the tenth-highest score, or whatever. And ain't it terrific that this is true?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast