Should Miki Leave Morosov? | Golden Skate

Should Miki Leave Morosov?

princess9

On the Ice
I love Miki Ando. She is a lovely woman and I think she is packaged totally wrong. Her music, her costumes, his choreography. I like what Morozov has done for some skaters but I feel this man is all wrong for this beautiful Japanese skater. I read she will follow him to Russia. I just see a skater who has great talent and is mishandled. I would love to see her with Yuka Sato.

Do her fans feel she is done? I think she can get nothing good from this coach. Opinions from Miki fans?

lavender

Record Breaker
I really like Miki and I still think she has potential to be even better but to me she has gone as far as she can with NM. I think she should have left before this past year but I knew she would never leave.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'd rather see her with someone who would guide her toward other "packaging" too. I think she could do a modern music type program with a costume with clean, elegant lines very well. Or classical music that is not the romantic or bombastic type, again I'd just like to see her having more simple elegance in her costuming, music, etc. (I know her mom has made some of her costumes, btw). Also I wonder if she doesn't need a coach to take the same approach with her as Carroll did with Mirai, basically banning the tears and emotional outbursts to save the energy for the outlet it should be saved for, the skating. Note I am NOT referring to Miki's w/d at Worlds but just her general externalizing personality tendencies -- sometimes I think she lays herself wide open when she should emotionally take care of herself better.

But OTOH she has kept skating for several seasons more than I thought she would, just given some of her past comments about quitting, etc. So maybe something in NM's coaching keeps her zest for skating alive ???

Bennett

Record Breaker
Re: emotional outbursts, I agree that lying herself wide open to the public may lead to a more complicated situation. But she seems extremely honest by nature. She says that she tends to reveal her personal emotions on the ice. Moreover, she gets a lot of media attention and has many more opportunities than average ppl to talk about herself in public. Yet, not expressing oneself would not necessarily mean not having emotional ups and downs in oneself anyway. It just prevents the secondary and tertiary disasters out of her control (e.g., criticisms and bashing by others), but not a fundamental resolution. Besides, she gets lots of fan support for being so expressive and honest. So perhaps both good and bad for her to be very honest.

She has had a lot of painful periods, but seems to eventually raise herself up over and again. Miki sounds like trusting Morosov a lot and I suppose that they are doing well.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I know that Miki's mother has made some of her costumes , but according to whose design , I've often wondered, since they seem to look much like the kind of thing that Morozov's other female skaters have worn. But whoever designs them, they're mostly pretty tacky and I wish someone would put Miki's best interests ahead of who gets to make ( or save) money from designing Miki's costumes. I can't believe Miki's mother was responsible for the spider over the naked-looking breast costume.

I think the close bond between Skater and coach , in this case, doesn't help Miki..she has often seemed emotionally at odds with Morozov...:disapp:

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
I like Nikolai. I think he's an amazing coach and Miki has been doing fine with him. But after four years, I think she should change. As princess9 said, Yuka Sato would be a great choice! I think Rafael Arutunian would be nice, too. Miki needs to unleash her technical abilities! As for her costumes, I love most of them. I think they're great, though I would like seeing Miki with simpler costumes, like the one she used in the LP at the 2007 Worlds. It was gorgeous! Anyways, I feel really confident for next season. I think her performance at Worlds this year changed everything. Miki seemed relieved and so proud when she finished her LP. I think she is ready to let go what happened four years ago. Go Miki!

:rock:

Did I read wrongly? Isn't Morozov going back to Russia? The question of whether Miki will go with him is more apropo.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Did I read wrongly? Isn't Morozov going back to Russia? The question of whether Miki will go with him is more apropo.

He is and Miki is going with him. It was reported in another thread on GS.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
I would like to see Miki try something new (and I was doubtful when everyone, starting with Michelle, fell for the Morozov crack), but I feel as though she's really happy with her life as it is. If that happiness requires that she maintain her current coaching situation, she should stay with Morozov because I think a skater's state of mind is most important. I would also like to see Miki unleash that technical beast inside of her (I think MikiAndoFan#1 said something similar?), but recently I've noticed that her jumps have lost power and spring. Maybe it's because she's lost weight?

rtureck

Final Flight
I haven't kept up with NM and his leading ladies, so what happened to Shae Lynn? Miki needs a coach (team) to help her to be the best that she is capable. She needs to clean up some of her jump difficulties, improve on her extension, and her speed and flow on the ice. The costumes and music should be easier to fix. I too have heard of the rumor that they are an item, if tht is true it can be problematic. I too think Yuka Sato will be an excellent choice for Miki, so yeah I think she should leave NM. She has been coached by him for a few yrs, and there has not been major improvement, so it is time to move on

Robeye

Final Flight

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:laugh: And I always think of this line from My Fair Lady , " Oozing charm from every pore , he oiled his way around the floor."

janetfan

Match Penalty
If they ever make another "Godfather" film - and let's say the Don's daughter wants to be a figure skater - (why not - in part three the son wanted to be an opera singer :) ) wouldn't "little Nicky Morozino" be perfect in a cameo role as her skating coach. He wouldn't have to change his hair or suit or anything. :laugh:
And by now he might have even picked up the "Joysey" accent :biggrin:

Unfortunately who would believe a mafia Don's daughter becoming a skating champion?
On second thought, I can imagine Cinquanta listening eagerly as they make him "an offer he can't refuse." Heck, Speedy would not only be a pushover - he was born for the role ;)

Last edited:

princess9

On the Ice
Excuse me but there seems to be a problem of disappearing posts here. There was nothing untoward discussed. ?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
:laugh: And I always think of this line from My Fair Lady , " Oozing charm from every pore , he oiled his way around the floor."
Karpathy, that dreadful Hungarian, was he there?
Yes
"That blackguard who uses the science of speech (skating?)
More to blackmail and swindle than teach" :laugh:

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Miki seems to have become very consistent under Morozov and her artistry HAS improved a lot under him even though she is still not the most artistic or expressive skater. I actually liked her LPs from this season and last season quite a bit.

princess9

On the Ice
Karpathy, that dreadful Hungarian, was he there?
Yes
"That blackguard who uses the science of speech (skating?)
More to blackmail and swindle than teach" :laugh:

exactly my point. well, as I said, it's hard to be onjective about advice if you are smitten by charm oozing from every pore, LOL