Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Would Plush have won if the new rules had been applied?

Custom Title
    Heh. I think Lysacek would've tailored his performance better to the new rules and still would've come out ahead. I also think Weir would've beat Chan.

Custom Title
    Well, no one asked this question but Yagudin would still win gold with his Salt Lake performances under CoP or any system because he had everything it takes. Plus points for handsome and very masculine! He's so much more a complete skater than the three from Vancouver. In Salt Lake Evan would have won pewter. Oh, forgot he actually was in fact fourth!

I have forgiven the Plush One for his outbursts. He's so gutsy and he used to be much better. Sigh. Still, one has to admire the effort and the resolve. 3 medals in three Olympics won't likely occur again.
    Last edited by princess9; 05-18-2010 at 11:19 PM.

Custom Title
    I agree with you, princess.
    Who cares of Plush if we can have a much better memory of Yagudin's performances and sportmanship?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by princess9 View Post
    Well, no one asked this question but Yagudin would still win gold with his Salt Lake performances under CoP or any system because he had everything it takes. Plus points for handsome and very masculine! He's so much more a complete skater than the three from Vancouver. In Salt Lake Evan would have won pewter. Oh, forgot he actually was in fact fourth!
    Lysacek was not in Salt Lake City Olympics, LOL... Have you forgotten that Yagudin was 5th in his first Olympics, not even worth a pewter?

About Yagudin, he would not have won with his SLC performances in Vancouver. Not with his spins and level one footwork! Was it one triple axel that Yagudin did not even do in his freeskate?
    Last edited by Jaana; 05-19-2010 at 01:08 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Heh. I think Lysacek would've tailored his performance better to the new rules and still would've come out ahead. I also think Weir would've beat Chan.
    It is very true that Lysaceks performance was all about gaining the points to win-probably why it lacked any personality-so many jumps after the halfway point and all that stuff. He was always very busy and personality free and in any system that skate would be about points.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Lysacek was not in Salt Lake City Olympics, LOL... Have you forgotten that Yagudin was 5th in his first Olympics, not even worth a pewter?

About Yagudin, he would not have won with his SLC performances in Vancouver. Not with his spins and level one footwork! Was it one triple axel that Yagudin did not even do in his freeskate?
    YES, Jaana, sleep deprivation is awful. What year is this anyway????

Meant to say Torino. I'll have to watch again to see the jumps. I loved his footwork. His axels were above the boards and if we want so much footwork from the men, then we will have ice dance as Plush said. I prefer the Yagudin programs of SLC to any in Vancouver. So exciting to see Quad then triple then double. You can't have it all and I'd like to see the exciting risky jump combos back in the game.

Yagudin as compared to Lysacek? No comparison as to the better athlete and equally as "artistic." I miss Yagudin much.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    It is very true that Lysaceks performance was all about gaining the points to win-probably why it lacked any personality-so many jumps after the halfway point and all that stuff. He was always very busy and personality free and in any system that skate would be about points.
    I don't agree that it lacked personality, but I do think the basic point is correct: Lysacek understood the rules and skated to win. I think he would have created a program that exploited the rules. And maybe he would've fought harder for the quad. In the end, it's hard to really judge.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    I don't agree that it lacked personality, but I do think the basic point is correct: Lysacek understood the rules and skated to win.
    Aren´t especially the top skaters in a competitions, because they try to win and not just for fun? Exhibitions are for fun, I would say. Anyway, I think that any intelligent skater would have a choreographer who understands about CoP.

Custom Title
    Lololololololololololol!!!!!!!!!!( laughing at the idea of awarding a facebook medal!)

I'll bet by now Plush has the event more in perspective, because honestly what he accomplished in Vancouver was an amazing achievement. If he'd stuck with his "I'll be happy with any color medal, even bronze would give me one of each" comments, we would see only the amazing feat he accomplished. Also, I like Evan's personality- different strokes and all that.
    Last edited by ranjake; 05-20-2010 at 06:16 AM.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Anyway, I think that any intelligent skater would have a choreographer who understands about CoP.
    Ah ok lets say then that Lysacek was 1.3 points (SP and LP combined) more intelligent than Plushenko and won fair and square. Because he beated a non intelligent, mediocre Plushenko-half the skater he used to be- by this margin. I had not seen that perspective of the outcome

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Ah ok lets say then that Lysacek was 1.3 points (SP and LP combined) more intelligent than Plushenko and won fair and square. Because he beated a non intelligent, mediocre Plushenko-half the skater he used to be- by this margin. I had not seen that perspective of the outcome
    Well, in the freeskate Plushenko was ridiculously held up by the judges both in technical elements and especially in PCS, in my opinion. That is why the result was so close. You think that Plushenko was half the skater he used to be? He did not get points accordingly, LOL. Actually I thought that his performance kind of reminded me of his freeskate in 2006 Olympics. The jumping was though off, but it was not off at 2010 Europeans, was it?. Maybe the nerves got to Plushenko now, at least somewhat?
    Last edited by Jaana; 05-20-2010 at 12:56 PM.

Custom Title
    At Europeans Plushenko had a major step out of a jump. He made mistakes in all his competitions the past season. Doubling a jump at the cup of Russia, tripling a quad at the russian championships, the doubling and step out at euros, and then the tilting at the Olympics. LOL the "tilting." I think it was just a matter of him already having a gold medal so that hunger or killer instinct for another one was not really there when it counted but he was stll tremendously skilled and wanted to show that off.
    Last edited by gmyers; 05-20-2010 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    I think it was just a matter of him already having a gold medal so that hunger for one was not there.
    Perhaps it was the pressure of trying to be like Dick Button

I think he skates exactly like he always did but his knees probably effect how well he can perform on a given night. I thought he skated better at Euros than he did in Vancouver and all things considered his comeback was remarkable.

It will be interesting to see if he returns and competes next season.
    And the same for Evan.

I just watched Jeremy's Natls LP and if he had skated like that in Vancouver he would have won - and quite easily. I don't think another skater in the world had a performance that was equal to Jeremy's best this season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJorSTaB59I

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Well, in the freeskate Plushenko was ridiculously held up by the judges both in technical elements and especially in PCS, in my opinion. That is why the result was so close. You think that Plushenko was half the skater he used to be? He did not get points accordingly, LOL. Actually I thought that his performance kind of reminded me of his freeskate in 2006 Olympics. The jumping was though off, but it was not off at 2010 Europeans, was it?. Maybe the nerves got to Plushenko now, at least somewhat?
    I thought competition result is the sum of Sp and Lp, and I already said Lysacek should have won the Lp and Takahashi the sp. We will never agree why the result was so close, but if you imply judges (and technical controller by the way) ♥♥♥ Plushenko to give him a medal but they just were objective with Lysacek and his marks reflected what he did, there is no room for talking, I ll pass.

How about the fact that the PCs of the Olympic Champion got up 10 whole points in a year since previous March? And skates close to 80 in sp for example reached 90s now? He was not that better.

Plushenko's skate was off throughtout the season for his jump standars, especially with lutz. I meant half the skater of Plushenko in his prime time before his surgery 2005, when he had double speed and lots more flexibilty and jumps out of nowhere. I didnt mean The Plushenko of Torino who was a skater holding in strings to win his gold, his injuries and surgeries are just a little less advertised than the I hurt my foot last march, cant train a quad now.

Whatever became of the Plush army? Are they still trying to "free Lutai"

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast